“Hotel was nice, location was great.” 4 of 5 stars

Atlantic Sands Hotel & Conference Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   101 North Boardwalk, Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971   |
Ranked #19 of 29 Hotels in Rehoboth Beach
Olyphant, PA
“Hotel was nice, location was great.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

Rates were expensive but our stay was nice. No major problelms other than the pool being closed one day to treat the water. Staff was friendly, hotel was clean and offered complimentary beach umbrellas and chairs. Restaurant offered discount to hotel guests.
Would come back again after saving up for awhile.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
North Potomac, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

My son and I stayed here in a double double suite for 3 nights in the South wing, the same wing we stayed about 4 years. What a difference. It is apparent that no maintenance or renovation has been done in 4 years time. The hotel is a dump and for the rate $350 a night, we were absolutely taken! The sleeping area was clean with very soft mattresses. There was a small tube style TV, Every night we could hear people talking, children running in the hallways or doors slamming. The bathroom had very llimited counter space and no towel racks to hang towels or clothing. The bathtub was horribly in need of caulking, it was gross. One day Housekeeping gave us ample towels with no toiletries and the next day, no clean towels but fresh toiletries. Had to call the front desk when at 5pm, Housekeeping had not yet cleaned even though we had left the room hours before. The small kitchen area had a sink, microwave and refrig with a freezer section that needed defrosted, the door of the refrigerator was badly rusted. The refrigerator needs to be replaced.The living area had yet another small tube TV. The sliding glass door which leads to the balcony had a broken lock but was wedged into place with a wooden bar. The hotel directory book has outdated even listing a bagel shop in the hotel that has been gone for over a year. Management is cheap and must feel that maintenance is not necessary since rooms are not vacant but suckers are born every minute, desperate to be at the beach and willing to pay a hefty price for their hotel stay. However, there are some smart guests, like me who won't return to the Atlantic Sands ever.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

Goal: We wanted to take one last short trip to finish up the summer, so we chose The Sands because of its location- right on the boardwalk. This location makes a short trip wonderful because there is no need to waste time driving here and there when the boardwalk, tons of restaurants, and the ocean are mere steps away.
Service: The front desk staff was very helpful and friendly. We asked to have our room changed so we could have a full balcony, and they immediately accomodated our request.
Room: We didn't love our room because our balcony was situated in a corner and sort of faced another balcony making it somewhat awkward to sit there. But the view of the ocean was lovely. (There are plenty of rooms that don't have this problem with the balcony positions, so next time I will be very specific when requesting an ocean front room.)
Expense: Yes, it is pricey, but you are paying for location and it is quite a worthwhile perk for us to be able to park the car and never have to get in it again until we drive home.
We would go back to the Sands. In fact we may try to go back this fall.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

Yes, ask for a recently renovated room- ours was great. Clean, big, ocean view. Two T.V.s and a pocket door to seperate sleeping little ones from late night adults. The staff at the front desk and dining room were very helpful. Everyone was very nice. But the big, big winner- the view and boardwalk. I have visited several beaches on the southern Atlantic coast and gulf coast (I picked D.E. this time because the family was already in D.C. for an educational vacation)- but I have never experienced the convenience and beauty of this stretch of beach. If you like the sound and thrill of the surf- this is the place for you. Don't go if you like quiet waters- this is the ocean. I hope that ratings like mine don't drive the price up too much because I intend to go back.

Hillsborough, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

Our baseball team just returned from Rehoboth Beach for Sports at the Beach. Rehoboth is a great vacation place for anyone who hasn't been there and we are planning on returning. With a group of 13 year old boys plus their families and siblings, this hotels location is ideal since it's right on the boardwalk and directly off the main strip. I was a bit concerned at the Atlantic Sands prior to our trip after reading the reviews but there really isn't much hotel choices to choose from if you want to stay on the beach for the money. The hotel next door, The Boardwalk something was very nice but didn't look kid friendly and was much more money. But if you don't have children, stay there. Some in our group complained about the water pressure during 5pm-7pm and some complained about the A/C but for the most part, this hotel is nice. Not great but nice. They do close the bar on the terrace a bit early but there is so many bars and restaurants to choose from walking distance it wasn't an issue. If it wasn't for traveling back and forth to and from the baseball field you can literally park your car upon arrival and leave it there for days. Newer rooms are nicer than the one bedroom suite that are a bit older but that's the tradeoff. If I was to rate this hotel 1-5 I would give it a 3 1/2. Location is a 5!!! Pick your battles on what means more...

• Stayed August 2010
South Hampton, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

I can't begin to tell you how much I enjoyed my time at the Atlantic Sands. I have been going to Rehoboth Beach every year since I was five and this is the first time I have tried a hotel instead of a condo... and I have to say, I'll never go back to renting again. I decided to splurge and go for the most expensive room and my girlfriend and I loved it. We were on the third floor and had a room with a king bed, jacuzzi in the living room and a small balcony with a full ocean front view. It was incredibly romantic and it was everything we could have asked for and then some. I had called ahead and asked if they could arrange for a bottle of champagne and some chocolates to be in the room when we arrived and the friendly front desk manager happily accomodated this request and had them displayed beautifully in the room upon arrival.

Check-in was a breeze because we came on a weekday and we got into our room easily. Luckily, I can't say I had any problems with the water like the other posters have commented. We spent most of our time at the pool, because my girlfriend does like the sand (haha) but the pool is a decent size and I was able to escape to the ocean a few times on my own and the beach is seriously just feet away. Overall, my stay at the Sands was more than enjoyable and they have made a frequent customer out of me.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Hughesville, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

We have stayed at this hotel many times over the years. The only reason we keep returning is because of the location. However, after our most recent visit, I will never return. I paid almost $400 a night to have a room that had no water for taking a shower. I was first told Rehoboth was in a drought and they were only allotted so much water, so "it's not our fault." Someone else at the front desk later told me that a water main broke and they were in the midst of repairing it, so "it's not our fault." Then asked the cleaning staff what was going on--they said they put in a new hot water system a couple of weeks ago and could not get it to work right. On our way out of town, I walked next door to see if they were having water problems. They didn't know what I was talking about--Rehoboth was not under a drought, there was no water main break, and they had no water problems at all. I was furious and will be following up with the hotel today (like that is going to do me any good). It is like the owners of the hotel are slumlords as they don't care and don't put any money back into the property. And plan on making multiple trips from your car to your room as there are only maybe two carts for the entire hotel. This is the first time I have ever written on on-line review, as felt anyone going here should be prepared to deal with the water issue and lies from the front desk.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to Atlantic Sands Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!