“Good location, not so good anything else” 2 of 5 stars

Atlantic Sands Hotel & Conference Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   101 North Boardwalk, Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971   |
Ranked #17 of 29 hotels in Rehoboth Beach
delaware
“Good location, not so good anything else”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2007

I rated this okay, but some problems only because we loved the location, We have stayed here several times, each time with a worse experience. ...and as others have stated, the front desk personnel has not gotten any friendlier over the years! Sad to feel like you are bothering someone when you are trying to check in or check out, and forget about asking a question-they will allow you to stand there forever without greeting you. On some of our stays we have checked into rooms with broken doors, sand in tub and on bathroom floor, sand in bed, food on the floor - and asking to be moved to a clean room is just not something the front desk thinks is important. One night we were given key cards that did not work, which they replaced three times (me going down to the desk three times for a working key card)! Our last stay was so horrible, we will not stay there again. We booked a suite, and were greeted with ants all over the bathroom. When we told the front desk, they said they would have housekeeping come in. As far as the suite was concerned, it was a bathroom with two doors, a bedroom, kitchenette with no table or chairs, living room with tv and pull out sofa. The furniture is cheap and very unattractive....so the word suite should not be associated with these rooms. Once we were allowed to move in to our 'suite', we moved our luggage to the bedroom to be greeted by a stench that smelled like urine. I called the front desk and was told housekeeping would take care of it. After dinner, we returned to the room with airwick room spray and hoping to find the smell gone - it was not, but they had sprayed something to help. The smell was so bad during the night, we opened the sliding glass doors and were still not able to sleep. They promised to have the carpet scrubbed the next day, and when we returned-no one had taken care of the odor. They gave us a regular room to sleep in for that night and promised to clean the carpet the next day. As we were heading to the ocean, I ran into the housekeeper in charge of our room. I mentioned the smell and that they were going to scrub it that day. She told me that the last guests complained about the smell as well, but no one scrubbed the carpet for them-or after they left! I was not surprised when we returned to find the room still smelled like urine. Another call to the front desk, and they again asked us to be patient., I told them I had been patient and this was our third day in the hotel, and they had not taken care of the problem..I requested another room, and was really feeling embarrassed because they treated me as if I was the problem. We were told we would be moved to a suite on another floor by 6 p.m., and they would handle moving our luggage. When we returned from dinner, we were still in the same room! I spoke with the manager and was moved to another suite, comparable in cheap furniture...however, without the smell of urine. To top off our vacation, I requested a credit for the night we slept in the regular room, as I didn't feel I should pay the rate of a suite. In addition, after all the crap we went through the first three days of our vacation, I thought crediting me one night was the least they could do. The front desk clerk, which seemed like a stepford person without the smile, refused. Her response was, we slept there, didn't we? I wonder what kind of training they get to be so rude. I had to request the manager, who was not readily available. I had to take a seat in the lobby and wait approximately 15 minutes for someone to speak with me. They credited one night, without so much as an apology from the manager or the front desk clerk.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — poor quality of rooms, unfriendly staff
  • Stayed July 2005, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

361 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Bel Air, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2007

We stayed in a suite in the new part of the hotel. The bedroom had two double beds (too soft!), and the living room had a sofa bed. There was a balcony with a view of the ocean. The room had a small refrigerator and microwave. The best thing about the Atlantic Sands is the location. It's on the boardwalk, just one block north of Rehoboth Avenue, the main drag in town. Once you get there, you can park the car and walk everywhere. There are lots of good restaurants nearby. Our favorite was Dos Locos, a Mexican place currently on Wilmington Ave., which is moving soon to Rehoboth Ave.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Soft beds
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2007

It was TOO soft! My husband and I booked a handicapped room at the Atlantic Sands while on a spur of the moment trip to Rehoboth Beach. The hotel is conveniently located, parking is adequate, at least in January, and is very clean. However, the handicapped room was a long walk from the elevator, and my husband was on crutches, plus the bed was a king size one with a pillow top mattress, and it was not comfortable at all! The sheets didn't fit properly and kept coming off. I guess we should have complained after the first night, but it would have been difficult for him to move again, so we toughed it out. If we stay there again, I will definitely try out the mattress before I sleep on it. Except for the mattress, I would recommend this hotel.

• Liked — The room was very clean
  • Disliked — The bed was too soft, the sheets did not fit properly, and the shower was not really handicapped accessible.
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Philadelphia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2006

I had a wonderful room with a fabulous ocean view. But I felt guilty when I found out what my fellow travelers were putting up with. One woman had only a bed, a table and a TV. There was no other furniture in her room. She had to ask the desk to send up a lamp so she could read. Another woman had an exrtremely wet floor. It had just been cleaned. They had to use a dryer on the carpet after she complained. A male co-worker had booked a suite so we could have a meet and greet social the first night of our conference. We had to move the social because there was such a overpowering bad smell in his room -- it was not from cigarettes and we really couldn't identify it. But it was bad. Then another woman complained that she woke in the middle of the night to find that her bed was soaking wet with urine. And it was definitely not from her. It looked like someone had wet the bed and housekeeping either didn't know or ignored it, just putting clean bedding on top. The hotel management was completely unsympathetic and refused to give her a credit for that night's lodging. For myself I would return because the hotel is in a fabulous location right on the boardwalk but the problems of my co-workers left a lasting negative impression. If I went back, it might be me with the complaints!

• Liked — The balcony right on the ocean
  • Disliked — My friends upset and complaints about their rooms.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dover, DE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2006

As someone who has a background in hospitality & tourism, I really thought this was an above average place to stay for this area. The staff was very helpful with any little 'extras' we needed and the room was very clean and roomy. This hotel is also in a great location right on the boardwalk and next to many fine restaurants and shops. We stayed in an oceanview room which had a nice view of the beach and the microwave and fridge were a nice addition as well. We also enjoyed the lounge area right off of the lobby that had a TV and fireplace...it was very cozy for a cool November night! The coffee shop made for a nice pit stop for a morning coffee and homemade pastry...and at the end of our stay we were able to do express checkout which made it quick and easy. I will definitely be returning to this hotel for an extended weekend in the summer!

• Liked — location and cleanliness
  • Disliked — nothing, just need to go back during the summer when everything is open!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Glen Bernie, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2006

We haven’t stayed at the Atlantic Sands in almost seven years. I must confess that the renovations and additions to the hotel are remarkable. We stayed for the weekend for the Sea Witch Festival the rates are a little more reasonable at this time of year and there are still activities for the children as well at the stores are still open.

My husband and I arrived on Friday with our three children. We loved the friendly atmosphere; the staff members were extra nice. We reserved a little family suite. There was a small kitchen area with a microwave, fridge, and coffee pot. The room was very clean and cozy. There was a large balcony off the living room area where we sat and watched the ocean. Then there was a living room with a sofa that pulled out to a bed, with a T.V. This made it very convenient for the children since we spent most of our time in the room on Friday due to the heavy rain showers. But that did not ruin our weekend Saturday the sun came out and it became a beautiful day. There was a parade in town that day and there was also candy given out for the children that evening and coffee for the parents in the café at the hotel.

Check out was simple and suitable for someone with three children and tons of luggages. We asked to keep our car in the parking lot for a few hours longer and the staff was pleasant enough to allow us to do so. This is a great place to spend a family vacation. We had a great stay and would not hesitate to go back again with our children since they loved it so much.

• Liked — suits sizable rooms
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — no
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
pa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2006

We have just returned from a great weekend at the Atlantic Sands Hotel. We arrived Saturday 10/7/06 and departed Monday 10/9/06. We must admit that after reading the reviews we wondered if this would be a good hotel for us to stay. The fears we had were pointless.

The front desk staff was very friendly and efficient. We arrived at 9:00am the room was not quite ready due to being sold out for the weekend which was understandable. We did not understand the check in time being so late (4:00pm). The clerk was kind enough to give us the first room that became available. While we waited for our room to become available we had coffee at the cute little coffee shop just outside the front desk entrance. When there was finally a room that became available to check in we were able to just pick up our keys, assuming because we had already filled out our registration. This made the check in extremely well organized.

The room was in a great location on the third floor over the pool. Ocean front with balcony and two chairs with sliding glass door. There were two double beds, a little small for two people, but the room was still very nice. The rooms were equipping with coffee maker, refrigerator, and microwave. Although there was no hair dryer or iron in the room I was impressed with everything else. Housekeeping comes to the room at convenient time of day; we were usually up and out at that time so we were not disturbed while sleeping. The freshness of the room was good. The bathroom was cleaned, we got new towels everyday and the beds were made and the floors were well vacuumed.

All in all this hotel was in a good location in central Rehoboth Beach where all the shops, boutiques, and restaurants were. The service was great, check in and check out was easy. There was an express check out. This was handy so you do not have to wait in the extremely long lines at check out time. Forget what you have read about this hotel in all those negative reviews. My experience at The Atlantic Sands was a great one and I will go back again.

Stayed September 2006

Been to Atlantic Sands Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!