“Awesome Awesome Awesome Time” 5 of 5 stars

Atlantic Sands Hotel & Conference Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   101 North Boardwalk, Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971   |
Ranked #17 of 29 hotels in Rehoboth Beach
South Hampton, NY
“Awesome Awesome Awesome Time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

I can't begin to tell you how much I enjoyed my time at the Atlantic Sands. I have been going to Rehoboth Beach every year since I was five and this is the first time I have tried a hotel instead of a condo... and I have to say, I'll never go back to renting again. I decided to splurge and go for the most expensive room and my girlfriend and I loved it. We were on the third floor and had a room with a king bed, jacuzzi in the living room and a small balcony with a full ocean front view. It was incredibly romantic and it was everything we could have asked for and then some. I had called ahead and asked if they could arrange for a bottle of champagne and some chocolates to be in the room when we arrived and the friendly front desk manager happily accomodated this request and had them displayed beautifully in the room upon arrival.

Check-in was a breeze because we came on a weekday and we got into our room easily. Luckily, I can't say I had any problems with the water like the other posters have commented. We spent most of our time at the pool, because my girlfriend does like the sand (haha) but the pool is a decent size and I was able to escape to the ocean a few times on my own and the beach is seriously just feet away. Overall, my stay at the Sands was more than enjoyable and they have made a frequent customer out of me.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

355 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Hughesville, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

We have stayed at this hotel many times over the years. The only reason we keep returning is because of the location. However, after our most recent visit, I will never return. I paid almost $400 a night to have a room that had no water for taking a shower. I was first told Rehoboth was in a drought and they were only allotted so much water, so "it's not our fault." Someone else at the front desk later told me that a water main broke and they were in the midst of repairing it, so "it's not our fault." Then asked the cleaning staff what was going on--they said they put in a new hot water system a couple of weeks ago and could not get it to work right. On our way out of town, I walked next door to see if they were having water problems. They didn't know what I was talking about--Rehoboth was not under a drought, there was no water main break, and they had no water problems at all. I was furious and will be following up with the hotel today (like that is going to do me any good). It is like the owners of the hotel are slumlords as they don't care and don't put any money back into the property. And plan on making multiple trips from your car to your room as there are only maybe two carts for the entire hotel. This is the first time I have ever written on on-line review, as felt anyone going here should be prepared to deal with the water issue and lies from the front desk.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Delaware
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

The Atlantic Sands is one of the more expensive hotels in Rehoboth Beach,
Delaware, but I found it to be well worth the money. As a first time
visitor to Rehoboth I found the Atlantic Sands a nice place to stay during
my memorable trip. The rooms were large enough and well kept. The staff
was fine and I never had trouble finding parking. I enjoyed Rehoboth Beach
and I plan to stay at the Atlantic Sands if I am ever in Rehoboth Beach
again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

Hotel is in a great location, however the hotel does not clean rooms daily nor are they particularly concerned about it either. The restaurant is subpar and over priced. The tv started smoking and had to be replaced. Great place if you want to pay premium rates and get nominal service.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

I guess we stayed in the newer section because it was great!
Our oceanfront room was actually a double room with 2 bathrooms, a jacuzzi, big screen TV, 2 AC units and 3 windows.
Quiet and confortable. I'm a clean freak and the room/hotel was up to my standards!
Underground garage, steps to the pool, boardwalk and ocean. Staff was friendly.
The only negative was you had to go to the lobby to access the Internet. But this was ok with us since we were on vacation anyway.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

Based on some of the reviews I've seen, I was very skeptical of the Atlantic Sands.

It turned out to be a nice place close to everything. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

Room was clean, although a bit worn, but typical of a beachfront hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Youngstown
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2010

I stayed at the Atlantic Sands for four nights with my husband and two daughters (who are turning 6 and 3). Hands down, the best feature of the hotel is its location. Right on the boardwalk, steps away from the beach and easy access to the restaurants, shops, Funland rides, etc. We parked the car once and walked everywhere.

The pool was nice with limited chair seating surrounding the pool with about 10 chaise loungers on a sun deck a flight of steps above the pool. Somewhat limited interaction with the staff, but all employees I encountered were professional and courteous. There was also a restaurant there, but we didn’t eat there. Looked decent and was advertising a daily lunch/beach menu item of a hotdog and soda for $3.

This hotel has two very distinct sections – old and new. Though I wasn’t inside a room in the older section, I would never stay in one of these rooms. The hallways were old, dingy, stained and more reminiscent of a motel than a beachfront property.

We stayed in the newer section in a suite with two separate rooms – a sitting room and bedroom. Our floor had a handful of conference rooms where some meetings were taking place. The room itself was tidy and decent, and we liked having a separate sitting room for when our girls went to bed as well as eating lunch in the room, etc. The beds were double beds (small for us) and quite soft. Four square pillows topped each bed (vs. the standard pillow size). Also had easy access to the hotel WiFi.

Hands down the worst part of the room was the bathroom. It was small with no counter space for toiletries and just didn’t look clean. Mold-stained shower curtain and tub caulking, dirty floor grout, chipped enamel/paint on the tub and toilet seat, etc. I don’t know if it was poor housekeeping as much as it was just worn out and couldn’t be cleaned any more.

The bathroom itself would give us cause to not stay there again. That said though, we found there just aren’t many ocean front, on the boardwalk hotels available (compared to Ocean City, MD, for example). Although Rehoboth Beach itself is lovely and very family oriented, the lack of hotel options (and the fact we won’t return to Atlantic Sands) will probably keep us from returning any time soon.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Atlantic Sands Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!