“Recent stay at Atlantic Sands” 3 of 5 stars

Atlantic Sands Hotel & Conference Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   101 North Boardwalk, Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971   |
Ranked #18 of 29 hotels in Rehoboth Beach
Highland Mills, New York
“Recent stay at Atlantic Sands”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

We just got back from staying at the Atlantic Sands Hotel. It was just okay, outdated, but clean. The personal were friendly and helpful. There were no extra towel, pillows, or blankets in the room as there usually are in most hotels. We were lucky enough to have a balcony you could sit on and a great view of the ocean. The King size beds were huge. There was nowhere in the hotel to eat breakfast, but we went to the local IHop.We also lucked out with a fabulous October weekend that was very hot and more like summer, so we made good use of the beach, We were actually there for a family wedding, so this was a plus! Anyway, not a bad hotel, but it certainly could use some improvement. Oh, also the safe did not work in our room. I used it anyway. Luckliy nothing was stolen.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are large and sunny and have balonies you can sit on. If you need another bed, you can...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
SandsStaff, General Manager at Atlantic Sands Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Our staff members are friendly and we’re happy that you enjoyed them, our oceanfront location and our comfortable beds! We hope that you called our front desk staff to request more towels. Upgrades and improvements to the entire facility will continue. We sincerely hope that you’ll visit for another enjoyable stay. And we wish the newly married couple a long and happy life together!

337 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

Outstanding service provided by Mins,Debbie& Holly! Carpets need serious attention. Overall room very clean & location of hotel is outstanding! I look forward to the improvements! Again, carpets need replacing & bathroom floor need major work.

• Stayed October 2013
SandsStaff, General Manager at Atlantic Sands Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Thank you for complimenting staff members on the service you received. We appreciate your comments and want to assure you that our improvements and upgrades to the facility are on-going. Not resting on the fact that we have an exceptional oceanfront location, the management and staffs of the Atlantic Sands are committed to providing excellent service while continually making changes to enhance the comfort and convenience of our valued guests. We hope you’ll visit again to enjoy the changes made each year.
Roanoke, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

First trip to Rehoboth...We stayed in a double room...the beds were barely full size beds, and not very comfortable at that. The room smelled of having had an air freshener of some kind to cover up a smell. The room was very dated. Did have a view of the ocean, which was a plus...but no balcony. However, the proximity to the ocean was the only thing positive. The hotel seemed like some sort of a maze, trying to get from one area to another. Then there were the prices....geez....$380 for two nights in late september is akin to highway robbery....especially for a hotel room that would rival a Motel 6 if not on the ocean...very dissatisfied...would never stay there again for those prices....and that was with a "special" wedding block rate....oh my....

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
SandsStaff, General Manager at Atlantic Sands Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
We understand that some of those unfamiliar with the area find Rehoboth rates to be higher than that to which they may be accustomed. Our rates are very competitive in the Rehoboth Beach market where our location, as a beachfront hotel, and our history of serving our guests in clean and comfortable rooms for over 50 years, makes us a highly sought after hotel. While we were pleased to be selected as the hotel of choice by the wedding party, we are sorry to hear that you found our large hotel difficult to navigate. Our front desk personnel would have happily provided a map to assist you.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

My family and I spent a long weekend in this hotel. I think by far, this hotel is the best hotel in Rehoboth beach based on my experience. The hotel doesn't provide breakfast, but you can pay around $8-$12 and have an all you can eat perfect breakfast. Our rooms were ocean view and next to the pool.
I recommend this hotel to families and people with kids (since it has a nice pool that is appropriate for the kids to swim in)

Room Tip: Get the rooms in the first floor that are either ocean view or ocean front...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
We sure do enjoy hearing from guests who appreciate our location and the comfort and quality of our rooms, staff and service. We’re pleased that you and your family enjoyed your stay, and breakfast, and hope that you will select us again in the future. There’s nothing we enjoy more than happy families here at the Atlantic Sands Hotel and we hope to continue to earn your praise as “the best hotel in Rehoboth”. Thank you for sharing your comments!
NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

I only stayed at a suite in this hotel as this was the place that my relatives had booked some rooms for a recent wedding. After having stayed there, I would never ever pay those outrageous prices for such a mediocre and below average room. I agree with many of the previous negative reviews on tripadvisor about this property:

"The pull out sofabed was incredibly uncomfortable - you could actually feel the lumps in the "mattress". The 2 queen beds were uncomfortable as well."
"Yes, the location (right on the beach) is a plus, however it does not outweigh all of the negatives associated with this hotel."

These previous posts are absolutely true statements worth reiterating. I had the "joy" of sleeping on the pull out bed and my other two cousins were sleeping on the queen beds. Both of them stated their beds were as uncomfortable as my sofabed was.

For the prices this place charges, I was expecting far better and renovated accomodations. I can get a better quality recently renovated room at the Mirage in Vegas for much less money. I cannot believe that this hotel can get away with charging so much money for a property that is in such dire need of renovation. I felt like I was in a time capsule from the 1980s in this place. There was also only one elevator by the main desk which takes all guests up to their rooms. The elevator was so ridiculously slow and too many people trying to access at one time, that half the time, I just took the stairs to my 3rd floor room and got there faster (and this wasn't even prime summer crowds, but in late September).

When I checked out, the person at the front desk never once asked me how my stay was. I think this was because she knew what the guests would probably say and did not want to know. I decided not to tell her then how disappointed I was in their hotel. One can also tell from the responses that management has provided to each negative review, that they really don't feel they need to improve anything in their hotel.

Save your money, and go to a newer hotel or a bed and breakfast in the area. This place is not worth your hard earned money.

Room Tip: I have no advice to give here, because I don't think there are any good rooms here. Unless some...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
SandsStaff, General Manager at Atlantic Sands Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
The management of the Atlantic Sands is actually cares deeply about whether guests enjoy their stay. We wish you had advised the front desk of your comfort issues so that we might have had an opportunity to address your concerns while you were here. Many of our guests have complimented us regarding the new upgraded Serta queen beds as well as the sofa beds we installed in our suites when they were renovated last winter. And while our lobby elevator is in constant demand, even on weekends in September when we are almost completely booked, there are three other elevators on property to serve our guests. We are sorry that you found our elevator service too slow to meet your needs.

Rehoboth Beach, unlike Las Vegas with its bright lights and sprawling 150,000 hotel rooms, is a very tiny resort town and the Atlantic Sands Hotel & Conference Center is a historic beachfront property located in the center of it. Many of our guests are frequent visitors who appreciate the opportunity to unwind, sun themselves at the beach, and enjoy our staff and accommodations as well as the more relaxed pace of our little town. The management and staff of the Atlantic Sands care about the quality and comfort of all guests and continue to invest the time, energy and dollars to ensure that the facility, bedding, furnishings and service levels are enjoyable to all who stay here. Additional upgrades and improvements are expected to begin on sections of the hotel in just a few weeks, in fact.
Ashburn, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

My wife and I had a last minute trip to the beach for our wedding anniversary. The hotel was great for being at the beach. It is a beach hotel great pool. wonderful location and nice folks in the hotel as well as the brunch was great. It is an older hotel with a new feel. I really enjoyed this place. For 200 hundred a night worth the money. My only concern would be the walls are very thin we could hear the kids screaming next door most of the night. Beyond that great

Room Tip: Find a place on the 4th floor much nicer
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
SandsStaff, General Manager at Atlantic Sands Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Happy Anniversary! Thank you for letting us know you enjoyed your stay at the Atlantic Sands! Please don’t hesitate to let our front desk representatives know if a neighboring guest disturbs you in the future; we’ll gladly try to remedy the situation so that EVERY aspect of your stay meets or exceeds your expectations!
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Why? someone please explain to me how a hotel can justify charging $425.00 for one night stay at this hotel? The only reason why is because vacationers have NO OTHER OPTION! This hotel like others in Rehoboth Beach should be ashamed of themselves for charging five star prices for less than campy quality hotel rooms. We didn't get a balcony. We had a view of someone's backyard. I like the town of Rehoboth Beach but I WILL NEVER GO BACK DURING HIGH SEASON! If I go back at all. I don't like to throw away good money. We are returning back to Virginia Beach for our weekend getaways from here on out! We will be able to stay at the best Marriott in Norfolk (5 star) for less than $425 per night we will get a view of the ocean/bay, the room will be modern, and the service will be comparable to the price we paid. SHAME ON YOU REHOBOTH!

Room Tip: Go to Virginia Beach. A little bit further to drive but you get your money's worth and more
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
SandsStaff, General Manager at Atlantic Sands Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Our rates are highly competitive for the area in which we provide service and we are happy that our hotel on Rehoboth’s five-star beach, with our friendly staff and comfortable rooms, serves as home-away-from-home and vacation headquarters to many repeat guests year after year who find value in the Atlantic Sands Hotel on the boardwalk in downtown Rehoboth Beach. We appreciate that beach properties in other states and towns may have different rate, tax and income structures however we strive to provide a quality service and stay in the charming and unique town of Rehoboth Beach, Delaware and to do so at rates that are appealing to many who prefer to vacation here.

Been to Atlantic Sands Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!