“Not worth the money!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 28 Hotels in Rehoboth Beach
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Not worth the money!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Why? someone please explain to me how a hotel can justify charging $425.00 for one night stay at this hotel? The only reason why is because vacationers have NO OTHER OPTION! This hotel like others in Rehoboth Beach should be ashamed of themselves for charging five star prices for less than campy quality hotel rooms. We didn't get a balcony. We had a view of someone's backyard. I like the town of Rehoboth Beach but I WILL NEVER GO BACK DURING HIGH SEASON! If I go back at all. I don't like to throw away good money. We are returning back to Virginia Beach for our weekend getaways from here on out! We will be able to stay at the best Marriott in Norfolk (5 star) for less than $425 per night we will get a view of the ocean/bay, the room will be modern, and the service will be comparable to the price we paid. SHAME ON YOU REHOBOTH!

Room Tip: Go to Virginia Beach. A little bit further to drive but you get your money's worth and more
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
SandsStaff, General Manager at Atlantic Sands Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Our rates are highly competitive for the area in which we provide service and we are happy that our hotel on Rehoboth’s five-star beach, with our friendly staff and comfortable rooms, serves as home-away-from-home and vacation headquarters to many repeat guests year after year who find value in the Atlantic Sands Hotel on the boardwalk in downtown Rehoboth Beach. We appreciate that beach properties in other states and towns may have different rate, tax and income structures however we strive to provide a quality service and stay in the charming and unique town of Rehoboth Beach, Delaware and to do so at rates that are appealing to many who prefer to vacation here.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Germantown, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Went on a weekend trip with 2 of my girlfriends to the beach and booked a suite at the Atlantic Sands which had 2 queen beds and a pull out sofa. Yes, the location (right on the beach) is a plus, however it does not outweigh all of the negatives associated with this hotel. The room itself was dark with insufficient lighting. The bathroom was disgusting and outdated. We had to ask for the toilet seat to be replaced because it was so chipped and old. It was dirty with wallpaper peeling off the walls.

The pull out sofabed was incredibly uncomfortable - you could actually feel the lumps in the "mattress". The 2 queen beds were uncomfortable as well. There was 1 mirror in the entire suite and that was in the bathroom. A suite generally would mean that more than 1 person would be occupying the room and a second and even third mirror located in the room would have been very helpful.

The maid service replenished the towels in the bathroom but did not clean the bathroom! The floor was not swept or mopped, the vanity was not wiped down and the shower was not cleaned. The carpet in the room was not vacuumed. When we called to complain, the head of housekeeping was at our door immediately and made sure that they cleaned the bathroom and vacuumed the carpet. She was very apologetic and very polite and she did take care of the situation, although it is hard to clean a run down, nasty bathroom.

This hotel is in desperate need of some attention. If you don't mind spending $300 a night to be put up in a dirty, dark, uncomfortable room, then go ahead and book your stay at The Atlantic Sands.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay or the new queen beds that so many of our guests now tell us they find incredibly comfortable. It is always disappointing for us to hear that any guest is less than satisfied. Our work to upgrade and improve every aspect of our hotel and the service we provides continues and we are pleased that the majority of our guests do enjoy their stays here. We apologize for failing to meet your expectations and will continue our efforts to improve.
Ocean View, Delaware
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We had a summer conference at the Atlantic Sands. We had several rooms booked, as well as several conference rooms. Our rooms were not ready at check in time, infact because we had rushed the staff to be checked in, 1 of our 4 rooms, sheets were not changed. (Sand in the bed)?? The bathrooms very outdated. We had several issues with our conference set-ups, and unable to get in touch with hotel staff to help correct our situations. The front-desk clerk was very unfriendly at check-in and very...just didn't want to be at work that day. We had contacted the manager on Monday, basically told tough luck, it's done and over. I suggest not to use the conference center and to use the hotel at your on risk, your sheets may be fresh, or reused.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
SandsStaff, General Manager at Atlantic Sands Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Hotel management would never knowingly provide a guest a room that had not been prepared by Housekeeping for a new guest’s arrival. Senior management of the hotel addressed any/all issues with the conference leader in the week following the event who indicated there was “no ill will”. While we regret that mistakes ever occur or that any guest is ever unhappy with the level of service we provide, we are happy to report that the vast majority of our guests are pleased and book with us again in the future.
Binghamton, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Yea it's expensive but it is what it is. Love the location. This year I did ocean view and loved it. Great view.
I felt the staff was friendly. I asked Calvin where the ice machine was and he escorted me right to it.
The only odd thing was .... I paid for my room with one ax gift card and a visa gift card. Upon check out I asked for a receipt. I looked at it and it said I paid with discover. I never gave them a discover. I called them and she said my gift card didnt go through , I'm like ok fine but I never gave you a discover. I was telling her again , I never gave you a discover number ever. Who,s discover is this!? Realistically I could have skated with someone paying for my one night! They never would have been able to refill me. They had my name butchered and my address completely butchered.
Really if I didn't request a receipt I would have never known!

Room Tip: Ocean view is a great value.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Johnstown, Pennsylvania, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

of course I consulted tripadvisor AFTER our rooms were book and I duly freaked out when reading the horrible reviews. We went anyway and were pleasantly surprised.
Yes, the rooms could be updated with new carpeting and the balcony could use a coat of paint and be larger (only 2 chairs can fit). Also, the bathroom was small and had no shelving (only a small 2 shelved vanity above the toilet and this held the towels) upon which to set my numerous toiletry bags (I have lots of creams and lotions to combat wrinkles and frizzy hair). However, other characteristics made up for these small issue.
The location was fantastic - right on the boardwalk and a short walk to restaurants, shopping, and arcades on Baltimore and First Street and Rehoboth Ave. No need to ever get in your car unless you want to hit the outlets which are about a 5 minute drive away.
The hotel provided beach umbrellas and chairs and towels, but you need to get there early to get them. They have an awesome restaurant with a big breakfast buffet and a friendly staff and an outdoor cafe on the boardwalk for hot dogs, pizza, salads and hamburgers. There is also a coffee shop.
The pool was a large size and very clean with lounge chairs.
I give this hotel 3 circles only because the rooms could be updated and the bathroom was so small, but there were newer, renovated rooms to be had.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the newly renovated rooms
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
SandsStaff, General Manager at Atlantic Sands Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
The staff and management of the Atlantic Sands Hotel appreciated your comments. Our location really is spectacular and we’re happy you enjoyed so much about it and our facility, including our restaurant, café, coffee shop and pool. Efforts to update and upgrade all areas of the hotel continue so that guests in each and every room or suite can enjoy their stay even more, year after year, as improvements are continually made. The Atlantic Sands is the perfect base from which to enjoy all that Rehoboth Beach has to offer and we’re pleased that you recognized the advantages of staying here! We hope to welcome you again soon!
aol.com
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Having traditionally stayed in a similarly priced hotel in Rehoboth further from the beach, I feel I have something to compare this place with. Even though I read the less than perfect reviews I gave it a shot anyway and went in with a positive attitude because of the partial ocean view I knew I would have. The view was lovely and the balcony quite large. Our suite accommodated up to 4 and was nicely remodeled except for the bathroom which was shabby and worn. For nearly 400.00 a night they should have at least recaulked around the tub. It looked nasty. Also, with each flush of the toilet the tank lid had to be removed to push the flapper down as it would not stop running. The "suite for 4" had only one mirror and it was in the bathroom! That was problematic for our group. Because of the slow elevators we consistently used the stairs to our 4th floor suite. Not a big deal, but climbing those stairs and then traveling down depressing, dated hallways with crusty carpets to get to our room was a downer. I realize that 4pm check in is getting more common, however other hotels in Rehoboth are more accommodating in that way. Our usual place has a 2pm check in and will call us when the room is ready if we get there early. We arrived early at the Atlantic Sands but had to keep "checking in" to see if our room was available. We did get in at 4pm but I know that other guests were not so lucky. The blame was placed on the cleaning staff. These people seemed to be working hard. Maybe the Atlantic Sands should hire a few more during these peak weeks as they rake in the cash. The only reason this place got 3 stars instead of 2 from me is because the front desk clerk named Donna was kind enough to check in several places and make a few phone calls to see if anyone turned in my sunhat which I dropped in the hall the previous day. Maybe this place is just to large for my taste...for the money I could not stay here again or recommend it.

Room Tip: The partial ocean view rooms offer just that...if you are willing to spend nearly 400.00 on it.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
As a very large oceanfront hotel located on the beach and in the center of town, it is a challenge for even our large housekeeping staff to prepare 180 rooms for new guests in just a few hours time. They do an admirable job with a smile however to make sure that rooms are ready for check-in by 4 p.m. daily. Efforts to update and upgrade our historic hotel are on-going and many guests have commented positively regarding these improvements. Value is certainly in the eye of the beholder, and we are thankful that the majority of our customers find our rates in line with the good quality, excellent location and value-added services provided by our hotel and friendly staff members. We can appreciate that some would rather forego a full service hotel that’s oceanfront for a smaller boutique hotel further from the ocean however. We wish you the best of times whether you choose to stay at The Atlantic Sands Hotel or not, although we hope you’ll give us a try again as our efforts to improve the property are on-going. We’re the best at the beach, and getting even better!
Lancaster, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I had read many of the negative reviews on this site regarding this hotel before my stay and was concerned I may have made a mistake booking this room. I am glad I didn't read them before I booked. This hotel is LOVELY!! We had an oceanfront room. It was clean and was exactly as the pictures online depicted. They are undergoing renovations, so some of the halls and the elevator are well dated. But I wasn't sleeping in the hall or elevator so it doesn't really matter to me. Some people complained about the shower. Mine was perfectly fine. Some complained about worn carpeting. Okay, it may have been worn but again, I didn't get down on my hands and knees to inspect the quality of the beige carpet. The bed was comfortable, and that's a lot coming from someone who just bought a brand new bed and is extremely picky. I was worried about how I would sleep but I slept quite well. We had two very minor issues. The safe wasn't working and they IMMEDIATLY sent someone up to replace the batteries and it worked fine. Some hotels say theyll send someone right up and you have to wait 30-40 minutes for whoever to show. We literally waited 5 minutes for maintenence. Also, my husband noticed the refrigerator was too cold and the knob was missing. The hotel staff explained to him they regulate the temps for energy conservation and take the knobs. They sent someone up right away and readjusted the temperature. If you read the negative reviews and eliminate this as a strong contender for your vacation then you are truly missing out. The staff is amazing. The views are out of this world, and the rooms are more than andequate. I would stay there again AND book the ocean front room!!

Room Tip: Don't be afraid of boardwalk noise if you go oceanfront. Once we closed the sliding door we did...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your thoughtful review; we’re delighted that you enjoyed our location and comfortable beds, as well as our friendly and attentive staff. We hope to welcome you again soon!

Been to Atlantic Sands Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!