“Love the place” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 29 Hotels in Rehoboth Beach
Binghamton, New York
“Love the place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Yea it's expensive but it is what it is. Love the location. This year I did ocean view and loved it. Great view.
I felt the staff was friendly. I asked Calvin where the ice machine was and he escorted me right to it.
The only odd thing was .... I paid for my room with one ax gift card and a visa gift card. Upon check out I asked for a receipt. I looked at it and it said I paid with discover. I never gave them a discover. I called them and she said my gift card didnt go through , I'm like ok fine but I never gave you a discover. I was telling her again , I never gave you a discover number ever. Who,s discover is this!? Realistically I could have skated with someone paying for my one night! They never would have been able to refill me. They had my name butchered and my address completely butchered.
Really if I didn't request a receipt I would have never known!

Room Tip: Ocean view is a great value.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Johnstown, Pennsylvania, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

of course I consulted tripadvisor AFTER our rooms were book and I duly freaked out when reading the horrible reviews. We went anyway and were pleasantly surprised.
Yes, the rooms could be updated with new carpeting and the balcony could use a coat of paint and be larger (only 2 chairs can fit). Also, the bathroom was small and had no shelving (only a small 2 shelved vanity above the toilet and this held the towels) upon which to set my numerous toiletry bags (I have lots of creams and lotions to combat wrinkles and frizzy hair). However, other characteristics made up for these small issue.
The location was fantastic - right on the boardwalk and a short walk to restaurants, shopping, and arcades on Baltimore and First Street and Rehoboth Ave. No need to ever get in your car unless you want to hit the outlets which are about a 5 minute drive away.
The hotel provided beach umbrellas and chairs and towels, but you need to get there early to get them. They have an awesome restaurant with a big breakfast buffet and a friendly staff and an outdoor cafe on the boardwalk for hot dogs, pizza, salads and hamburgers. There is also a coffee shop.
The pool was a large size and very clean with lounge chairs.
I give this hotel 3 circles only because the rooms could be updated and the bathroom was so small, but there were newer, renovated rooms to be had.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the newly renovated rooms
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
SandsStaff, General Manager at Atlantic Sands Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
The staff and management of the Atlantic Sands Hotel appreciated your comments. Our location really is spectacular and we’re happy you enjoyed so much about it and our facility, including our restaurant, café, coffee shop and pool. Efforts to update and upgrade all areas of the hotel continue so that guests in each and every room or suite can enjoy their stay even more, year after year, as improvements are continually made. The Atlantic Sands is the perfect base from which to enjoy all that Rehoboth Beach has to offer and we’re pleased that you recognized the advantages of staying here! We hope to welcome you again soon!
aol.com
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Having traditionally stayed in a similarly priced hotel in Rehoboth further from the beach, I feel I have something to compare this place with. Even though I read the less than perfect reviews I gave it a shot anyway and went in with a positive attitude because of the partial ocean view I knew I would have. The view was lovely and the balcony quite large. Our suite accommodated up to 4 and was nicely remodeled except for the bathroom which was shabby and worn. For nearly 400.00 a night they should have at least recaulked around the tub. It looked nasty. Also, with each flush of the toilet the tank lid had to be removed to push the flapper down as it would not stop running. The "suite for 4" had only one mirror and it was in the bathroom! That was problematic for our group. Because of the slow elevators we consistently used the stairs to our 4th floor suite. Not a big deal, but climbing those stairs and then traveling down depressing, dated hallways with crusty carpets to get to our room was a downer. I realize that 4pm check in is getting more common, however other hotels in Rehoboth are more accommodating in that way. Our usual place has a 2pm check in and will call us when the room is ready if we get there early. We arrived early at the Atlantic Sands but had to keep "checking in" to see if our room was available. We did get in at 4pm but I know that other guests were not so lucky. The blame was placed on the cleaning staff. These people seemed to be working hard. Maybe the Atlantic Sands should hire a few more during these peak weeks as they rake in the cash. The only reason this place got 3 stars instead of 2 from me is because the front desk clerk named Donna was kind enough to check in several places and make a few phone calls to see if anyone turned in my sunhat which I dropped in the hall the previous day. Maybe this place is just to large for my taste...for the money I could not stay here again or recommend it.

Room Tip: The partial ocean view rooms offer just that...if you are willing to spend nearly 400.00 on it.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
As a very large oceanfront hotel located on the beach and in the center of town, it is a challenge for even our large housekeeping staff to prepare 180 rooms for new guests in just a few hours time. They do an admirable job with a smile however to make sure that rooms are ready for check-in by 4 p.m. daily. Efforts to update and upgrade our historic hotel are on-going and many guests have commented positively regarding these improvements. Value is certainly in the eye of the beholder, and we are thankful that the majority of our customers find our rates in line with the good quality, excellent location and value-added services provided by our hotel and friendly staff members. We can appreciate that some would rather forego a full service hotel that’s oceanfront for a smaller boutique hotel further from the ocean however. We wish you the best of times whether you choose to stay at The Atlantic Sands Hotel or not, although we hope you’ll give us a try again as our efforts to improve the property are on-going. We’re the best at the beach, and getting even better!
Lancaster, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I had read many of the negative reviews on this site regarding this hotel before my stay and was concerned I may have made a mistake booking this room. I am glad I didn't read them before I booked. This hotel is LOVELY!! We had an oceanfront room. It was clean and was exactly as the pictures online depicted. They are undergoing renovations, so some of the halls and the elevator are well dated. But I wasn't sleeping in the hall or elevator so it doesn't really matter to me. Some people complained about the shower. Mine was perfectly fine. Some complained about worn carpeting. Okay, it may have been worn but again, I didn't get down on my hands and knees to inspect the quality of the beige carpet. The bed was comfortable, and that's a lot coming from someone who just bought a brand new bed and is extremely picky. I was worried about how I would sleep but I slept quite well. We had two very minor issues. The safe wasn't working and they IMMEDIATLY sent someone up to replace the batteries and it worked fine. Some hotels say theyll send someone right up and you have to wait 30-40 minutes for whoever to show. We literally waited 5 minutes for maintenence. Also, my husband noticed the refrigerator was too cold and the knob was missing. The hotel staff explained to him they regulate the temps for energy conservation and take the knobs. They sent someone up right away and readjusted the temperature. If you read the negative reviews and eliminate this as a strong contender for your vacation then you are truly missing out. The staff is amazing. The views are out of this world, and the rooms are more than andequate. I would stay there again AND book the ocean front room!!

Room Tip: Don't be afraid of boardwalk noise if you go oceanfront. Once we closed the sliding door we did...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your thoughtful review; we’re delighted that you enjoyed our location and comfortable beds, as well as our friendly and attentive staff. We hope to welcome you again soon!
Mundelein, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

The location of this hotel is great. We went to a great theater production at the old church (now a theater) right across the street. Right on the boardwalk, the pool was very nice, the hotel provided beach chairs and umbrellas for the beach to hotel guests. The shops in Rehoboth are great. Stayed there Sunday to Wednesday - had a nice room with balcony, microwave, fridge, wet bar, and a coffee maker. The staff was very helpful. My family had a Great time in Rehoboth - We Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: We had a huge room away from the boardwalk and beach. It had a great balcony.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
SandsStaff, General Manager at Atlantic Sands Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
We are so happy you and your family enjoyed your stay! It will be a pleasure to welcome you back to the Atlantic Sands again!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Average hotel with clean room and comfortable bed..Different things need improvement or updating..Slooow elevator..Definetly not worth $400 + a nite..Stayed in similar priced hotels in Rehoboth that are way better

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Rockville, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Booked the hotel at the last minute and the rate was ok
The hotel is the best location
Yes it does need a facelift but it was clean ( the towels sheets) there is a micrwave and fridge a coffee maker with coffee suger)
The pool is fine
And once again the best location
We had lots of fun

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
SandsStaff, General Manager at Atlantic Sands Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
As we continue upgrades and updates at the property, it is nice to hear from one of the many guests who enjoy our location and our hotel each day! Thank you for your comments. They are appreciated and you, like all our guests, are highly valued! We hope you will visit us each time you want to enjoy Rehoboth Beach!

Been to Atlantic Sands Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!