“Once is Enough” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 29 hotels in Rehoboth Beach
aol.com
“Once is Enough”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Having traditionally stayed in a similarly priced hotel in Rehoboth further from the beach, I feel I have something to compare this place with. Even though I read the less than perfect reviews I gave it a shot anyway and went in with a positive attitude because of the partial ocean view I knew I would have. The view was lovely and the balcony quite large. Our suite accommodated up to 4 and was nicely remodeled except for the bathroom which was shabby and worn. For nearly 400.00 a night they should have at least recaulked around the tub. It looked nasty. Also, with each flush of the toilet the tank lid had to be removed to push the flapper down as it would not stop running. The "suite for 4" had only one mirror and it was in the bathroom! That was problematic for our group. Because of the slow elevators we consistently used the stairs to our 4th floor suite. Not a big deal, but climbing those stairs and then traveling down depressing, dated hallways with crusty carpets to get to our room was a downer. I realize that 4pm check in is getting more common, however other hotels in Rehoboth are more accommodating in that way. Our usual place has a 2pm check in and will call us when the room is ready if we get there early. We arrived early at the Atlantic Sands but had to keep "checking in" to see if our room was available. We did get in at 4pm but I know that other guests were not so lucky. The blame was placed on the cleaning staff. These people seemed to be working hard. Maybe the Atlantic Sands should hire a few more during these peak weeks as they rake in the cash. The only reason this place got 3 stars instead of 2 from me is because the front desk clerk named Donna was kind enough to check in several places and make a few phone calls to see if anyone turned in my sunhat which I dropped in the hall the previous day. Maybe this place is just to large for my taste...for the money I could not stay here again or recommend it.

Room Tip: The partial ocean view rooms offer just that...if you are willing to spend nearly 400.00 on it.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
SandsStaff, General Manager at Atlantic Sands Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
As a very large oceanfront hotel located on the beach and in the center of town, it is a challenge for even our large housekeeping staff to prepare 180 rooms for new guests in just a few hours time. They do an admirable job with a smile however to make sure that rooms are ready for check-in by 4 p.m. daily. Efforts to update and upgrade our historic hotel are on-going and many guests have commented positively regarding these improvements. Value is certainly in the eye of the beholder, and we are thankful that the majority of our customers find our rates in line with the good quality, excellent location and value-added services provided by our hotel and friendly staff members. We can appreciate that some would rather forego a full service hotel that’s oceanfront for a smaller boutique hotel further from the ocean however. We wish you the best of times whether you choose to stay at The Atlantic Sands Hotel or not, although we hope you’ll give us a try again as our efforts to improve the property are on-going. We’re the best at the beach, and getting even better!

355 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Lancaster, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I had read many of the negative reviews on this site regarding this hotel before my stay and was concerned I may have made a mistake booking this room. I am glad I didn't read them before I booked. This hotel is LOVELY!! We had an oceanfront room. It was clean and was exactly as the pictures online depicted. They are undergoing renovations, so some of the halls and the elevator are well dated. But I wasn't sleeping in the hall or elevator so it doesn't really matter to me. Some people complained about the shower. Mine was perfectly fine. Some complained about worn carpeting. Okay, it may have been worn but again, I didn't get down on my hands and knees to inspect the quality of the beige carpet. The bed was comfortable, and that's a lot coming from someone who just bought a brand new bed and is extremely picky. I was worried about how I would sleep but I slept quite well. We had two very minor issues. The safe wasn't working and they IMMEDIATLY sent someone up to replace the batteries and it worked fine. Some hotels say theyll send someone right up and you have to wait 30-40 minutes for whoever to show. We literally waited 5 minutes for maintenence. Also, my husband noticed the refrigerator was too cold and the knob was missing. The hotel staff explained to him they regulate the temps for energy conservation and take the knobs. They sent someone up right away and readjusted the temperature. If you read the negative reviews and eliminate this as a strong contender for your vacation then you are truly missing out. The staff is amazing. The views are out of this world, and the rooms are more than andequate. I would stay there again AND book the ocean front room!!

Room Tip: Don't be afraid of boardwalk noise if you go oceanfront. Once we closed the sliding door we did...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your thoughtful review; we’re delighted that you enjoyed our location and comfortable beds, as well as our friendly and attentive staff. We hope to welcome you again soon!
Mundelein, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

The location of this hotel is great. We went to a great theater production at the old church (now a theater) right across the street. Right on the boardwalk, the pool was very nice, the hotel provided beach chairs and umbrellas for the beach to hotel guests. The shops in Rehoboth are great. Stayed there Sunday to Wednesday - had a nice room with balcony, microwave, fridge, wet bar, and a coffee maker. The staff was very helpful. My family had a Great time in Rehoboth - We Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: We had a huge room away from the boardwalk and beach. It had a great balcony.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
SandsStaff, General Manager at Atlantic Sands Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
We are so happy you and your family enjoyed your stay! It will be a pleasure to welcome you back to the Atlantic Sands again!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Average hotel with clean room and comfortable bed..Different things need improvement or updating..Slooow elevator..Definetly not worth $400 + a nite..Stayed in similar priced hotels in Rehoboth that are way better

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Rockville, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Booked the hotel at the last minute and the rate was ok
The hotel is the best location
Yes it does need a facelift but it was clean ( the towels sheets) there is a micrwave and fridge a coffee maker with coffee suger)
The pool is fine
And once again the best location
We had lots of fun

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
SandsStaff, General Manager at Atlantic Sands Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
As we continue upgrades and updates at the property, it is nice to hear from one of the many guests who enjoy our location and our hotel each day! Thank you for your comments. They are appreciated and you, like all our guests, are highly valued! We hope you will visit us each time you want to enjoy Rehoboth Beach!
Portland Ct
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

This place is a nightmare. If location is the only thing that matters to you then sure spend the $400 plus but if you care about your safety then stay away. I will say they have one great employee her name was Nina. Other than her the managers were terrible . We stayed there for a baseball tournament from July 18th through the 23rd, at first glance the location can not be beat. The price is way off for the room quality, we were in room 212 it looked like something out of the 70's. When we checked in I had to convince the women at the desk that I didn't hand her $1400. In cash this took at least 15 mins that me and my husband couldn't believe it. She had made $1000.00 mistake and was rude when we were trying to be honest! We didn't even get a thank you from anyone after saving them a grand! On the day before we checked out we had taken a walk on the boardwalk we came back to our room and found a master key to ALL the rooms on our floor! I was in shock, went to talk to the manager but they were gone for the day. So upon checkout I asked to see a manager she was the most unprofessional person I have ever delt with. She didn't care that we turned in the master key or had saved them $1000.00 . They have no security no cameras nothing we could have wiped out the whole place in an hour. Never mind if a sick minded person had gotten a hold of that key there were young kids all over the place. She told me there was nothing that she could do and I said there should be it took her a good fifteen minutes to take a $100. Bucks off our bill if my daughter wasn't standing next to me I would have told her what to do with her credit. I have emailed the General Manager on July 27 th and still have not had a response nor do I expect one . So stay there if your not afraid to be robed or even worse! And I'm sure if you report it they won't care! Totally discussed

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
SandsStaff, General Manager at Atlantic Sands Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
We appreciated this guest's concerns and honesty, and did compensate her quite generously for it. Unfamiliar with hotel industry standards, she was not aware that our security cameras are not in plain view or that when an employee misplaces a master key (which is rare) the front desk renders it useless. Our management team responds to all guest concerns in a manner consistent with appropriate and professional business standards.
Towson, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

I booked this hotel in March for a two night stay at Rehoboth Beach with my husband and 9 yr. old daughter. For $378 a night, you'd think they'd heat their outdoor pool. Nope. You'd think their Wi-Fi would actually work. Nope. You'd think you could actually control the water temperature in your shower. Nope It's either all hot (too hot) or all cold. Oh, and the Hot and Cold markings on the shower are reversed. We stayed in room 206, and thought we were getting a balcony view of the ocean. Nope. Oh, and the room had a weird plastic-like smell. The building is so shoddy that we could hear our upstairs neighbors anytime they moved around, and none of the doors in our room close correctly without a shove. I chose this hotel because it had an outdoor pool with a beach view. That's about the only thing that's true about this place.

Room Tip: I would never stay here!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
SandsStaff, General Manager at Atlantic Sands Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Room 206 is a very large room with two full baths. It does not have a balcony, but does have a nice view of the ocean. As an oceanfront hotel, many of our rooms do have balconies overlooking the ocean; However if one is required, this needs to be specified when reservations are made, as not all rooms are oceanfront or ocean view. The hotel pool is not advertised as being heated and the majority of our guests would not want it heated in August. We’re disappointed to learn that you did not enjoy your stay and wish you had informed our front desk or maintenance staff of any problems you may have encountered. Guest comfort is important to us.

Been to Atlantic Sands Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!