“A Great Summer Vacation!” 4 of 5 stars

Atlantic Sands Hotel & Conference Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   101 North Boardwalk, Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971   |
Ranked #18 of 29 hotels in Rehoboth Beach
Washington, DC
“A Great Summer Vacation!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

My husband and I have gone to Rehoboth for years and walked by the Atlantic Sands many times, thinking we should give it a try because of the great location and pool facing the beach. We finally booked it this year. We didn't encounter any of the problems reported by others, but rather had a wonderful stay. You do need to keep in mind that it's a beach hotel, so it is not going to be pristine and you are paying a premium for the excellent beachfront/boardwalk location. Our room was clean and comfortable with a partial ocean view, the staff was friendly and helpful, and the breakfast in the hotel restaurant was delicious. We couldn't ask for more and we will definitely be back!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

337 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Philadelphia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

The Atlantic Sands hotel is a 'typical' beach hotel: expensive because of the location with adequate furnishings. What makes this hotel worth the expense in the high season is its location and wonderful customer service. Though people were coming and going and we were in the midst of a heat wave, every question or request by me to the hotel staff in person or from my room via phone was met with prompt, polite and generous customer service.

We were five in a suite: mother and four teenagers. We arrived earlier than check in at 4pm but were able to change in the hotel's 2nd floor restrooms and then head to the beach. After a wonderful day at the beach (right in front of the hotel) we checked in. At the end of our stay, we checked out at 11am and stored our stuff in the car. When it was time at the end of the day to drive back to Pennsylvania, we showered to freshen up at the fresh water showers along the promenade and then changed into fresh clothes in the hotel's second floor bathroom. We were able to keep our car in the free parking lot until the evening when we left Rehoboth Beach.

I am a delicate sleeper so the soft double bed and large puffy pillows were uncomfortable to me and I didn't sleep well. Airconditioning worked well. I could not hear anyone in the rooms on either side of ours. The others in my suite seemed to sleep well. I recommend the Atlantic Sands to others.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

During my travels I have spent quite a few nights in $70-80 a night hotel rooms in rural areas. Although they have no frills, my experiences have generally been that such hotels have nice employees, are clean and quiet and usually even have a small gym. The Atlantic sands have none of these things. Below is a quick review of the worst hotel experience ever ... for $300+ a night ...

DIRTY - Upon arrival you likely will not be able to just go to your room because check-in is not until 4:00. You'll have to go to use one of their bathrooms on the 3rd/4th floor. If I were you, I would instead go find a fastfood bathroom on the boardwalk. Totally gross and there is a line to get in them. Disgusting. Further, upon entering the room we noticed that our BLANKETS HAD UNWASHED GOO ALL OVER THEM. What the dirtiness was I can only imagine. Everything about the hotel seemed very icky.

LOUD - The walls are PAPER thin. I have never, never been to a hotel as loud. There are tons of families crammed in and you will hear every one of them at any time of day.

STAFF - Although some might mind the tattooed up sorts that are behind the front desk, I do not. The problem is that none of them have good attitudes. Paying $300 a night you'd expect them to cater to you. Instead, they view their jobs as rule enforcers. Terrible service.

ROOM - Nothing special. We went to a friend's hotel where he was spending half ... it was almost identical. As noted, ours was not clean upon arrival. I will say the beds are comfortable; the shower was no good.

FITNESS CENTER - They don't have one. You can spend $4 to go off site. Total rip off. You are spending $300 a night or more and they are nickle and diming you every step of the way.

FOOD - We checked it out but ate elsewhere as it was so gross.

LOCATION - the one good point. Although for a nicer and cheaper overall experience I would literally go to any other hotel in Rehobeth.

THIS HOTEL IS A COMPLETE DUMP - GO THEIR AT YOUR OWN RISK!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Atlanticsands101, Director of Sales at Atlantic Sands Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, August 8, 2011
The management of the Atlantic Sands Hotel takes negative guest comments very seriously. At the time of your stay, it is our hope that we woudl have the opportunity to correct any proble that our guests may have encounterd. The goal of our General Manager and staff is to create a safe, clean, comfortable and enjoyable environment for our hotel guests. Please contact us and give us the opportunity to assist you. We apologize for your inconvenience.
1-800-422-6066 ext. 176
Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for a conference and I'm glad I didn't have to pay for the rooms. The beds were really small (two full sized beds) and the room was pretty run down. Location was good but no balcony in the rooms. I did like that it had a little separate living room with a pull out couch, but for the price they're charging, it's not worth it. Kind of reminded me of a beat up Days Inn or something.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
The management of the Atlantic Sands Hotel takes negative guest comments very seriously. At the time of your stay, it is our hope that we would have the opportunity to correct any problem that our guests may have encountered. The goal of our general manager and staff is to create a safe, clean, comfortable and enjoyable environment for our hotel guests. Please contact us and give us the opportunity to assist you. We apologize for your inconvenience.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011 via mobile

The hotel was not as bad as some reviews indicated, and was decently clean. Staff were okay, but we didn't have any issues to challenge them with. Food on the back patio was ok and pool was clean. now, our room... It was the smallest room I've ever seen, no exaggeration. With no where to put luggage, the little walking room between furniture there was was completely taken up by our 4 bags plus beach gear. The room had a funny smell that was tolerable after ten minutes. The bathroom was tiny and undesirable. The beds were terrible! We stayed four nights and barely slept, we were spent by 8 pm, so didn't get to spend as much time out as we would have liked. They did not give us soap but on the first day, so we ran out. We had to fight for more than four towels. The only nice thing was the view and the location. That all being said, only stay here if you have to....

• Stayed July 2011
Morgantown, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

My wife recently had a medical conference in Rehoboth Beach and we stayed with our daughter for 5 nights at the Atlantic Sands because we had stayed here 3 years prior for a family reunion, and what a disappointment. I never could have imagined a hotel becoming so poor in just 3 years. Upon arrival, there was nobody to help with the bags because they refuse to hire anyone unless there is a major conference/retreat for a corporation at the hotel, which I found out when we checked out. While unpacking, my wife informed me that we were not given the room that we had reserved. When talking with the receptionist at the front desk, she had informed us that the manager had left for the day, even though it was only 4:30 pm, and if we wanted a room with any sort of a view, we would have to switch rooms every other day. This is because you cannot book specific rooms, just a spot. We were not made aware of this when booking. When we asked to speak with the manager the next day, he never contacted us.

For the entire week, there were garbage cans on the 4th floor sitting underneath leaks either from the AC units in the hallways. These were never attended to until Thursday evening because Edward Jones was having a retreat that started the next day. There attendance also caused the hotel to hire a bellhop for the day when Edward Jones was arriving, but they did not help anyone who was checking out. The cleanliness of the rooms were also subject, but the room staff did everything they could to help out with anything we needed. My wife, daughter, and I all had bites on different areas of our body from the bed bugs.

Due to the medical conference running after check out, I inquired about a possible late check out and was told to check with house keeping because they were in charge of this. I explained that it didn't make any sense to speak with housekeeping about a check out, but was informed that it was how they did it. Housekeeping had no problem with us staying a bit later. My wife double-checked on the last day to make sure a late check out was okay, and we were told a different story by the front desk. The manager then called the room and proceeded to argue with me about how I should consider the other hotel guests and how I should "sacrifice" for other guests so they are comfortable. I have never been told that it is my job make guests at a hotel comfortable when I am the guest.

My wife spoke with the director of the medical conference and she relayed to my wife that they had received a large number of complaints from many of the medical professionals, she would be addressing the concerns with the hotel and that they would not be recommending the hotel as a place to stay in the future. When leaving and having a general conversation with a maid at the hotel, she had told us how ignorant the managerial staff and owners are and how they do not truly care about the stay of the guest because the hotel is on the boardwalk, so that is good enough.

We will be moving next door to the Bellmoor any time we stay in Rehoboth in the future.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Annapolis, MD
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

What can I say, I'm a sucker for punishment. Once again, my wife and I stayed here as part of an annual conference that is held here at the beginning to mid-part of June. After my last visit, I was sure it would only get better. Man was I wrong.

Let's start off with the good. The Sands is still providing guests daily use of beach umbrellas and chairs...and a large portion of the umbrellas were new this year. However, most of the chairs are old, and in most cases rusty--hope you have an up-to-date tetanus shot. Further, location. That is probably the only good thing about this hotel. This is one of the few hotels that sit on the boardwalk. Our room had a great view of the ocean, beach and pool (room 311). I don't know if this is a good per say but they have finally removed from their website the inclusion of a fitness room in their amenities. This was on their website the previous 3 years, yet it was always "closed for repairs".

Ok, now for the bad. We showed up at 230 pm thinking that we might be able to check in early, or heck, at 4 pm as advertised. After we approached the counter to inquire about our room we were told it wasn't ready. They took our phone number down and said they would call us when it was so we went to the boardwalk and took a stroll for 45 mins. Meanwhile everyone who was showing up after us was getting rooms. We came back in at about 315 and still no dice from the front desk staff. At 400 pm we inquired again, still the room wasn't ready, yet we easily saw 10 different groups check-in. The sign clearly says 4 pm check-in so we were getting frustrated at this point as to why the room wasn't ready. At 415 pm we went up, once again and they finally gave us the keys.

The room overall was ok looking. Not in the poorest condition, but not what I would expect someone to get for what the seasonal rate is for this place ($380/night). However you can imagine our shock when we looked under our bed and found countless bottle caps, a pair of women's panty hose and a pair of women's underwear...freaking nasty. After reporting this to the front desk we got a "oh sorry"...that's it.

Further, they will automatically charge you a $1.50/night safe fee. We never use the safe so each year we have them take it off our bill. If you don't use the safe, at check out have them take it off your bill.

Parking here is horrendous. You would expect if a guest were to shell out $380/night for a room, they would have guaranteed parking. Nope. Not only that, the hotel routinely gives out parking passes to individuals who aren't staying there causing a ridiculous parking situation. You can imagine the stress of wanting to go somewhere not within walking distance but worrying whether you would find a place to park on your return.

Overall, I hate bursting anyone's bubble but what you would spend here for a week ($380/night x 7 nights=$2600) 2-3 people could easily do a seven day trip in the Caribbean with airfare included-actually I'd be stunned if you even paid even that much. The only reason we continue to stay here really is because we get a conference rate on the rooms which is more than 50% off the room price, otherwise we'd be elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
800-422-0600 Ext. 176

Been to Atlantic Sands Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!