“Tidy little hotel in awesome location” 4 of 5 stars

2 Baltimore Ave, Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #10 of 29 Hotels in Rehoboth Beach
Wilmington, Delaware, United States
“Tidy little hotel in awesome location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

The Admiral was steps from boardwalk and beach, ideal with small children. Clean well maintained rooms with new tasteful refurbishments. Not fancy but not pricey either. Location Location Location!!! There is a safe parking facility and small pool with changing area should you arrive before the 3pm checkin as rooms are seldom available for early checkin. Lovely deck area outside of 4th floor pool. There is another very small hotel that sits attached to this hotel between this hotel and beach called the Siracus (I think), so this is not a beachfront hotel and any ocean views are strictly partial. Initially the elderly woman behind the desk was quite rude, but the other employees were friendly and efficient. As a travel agent, I am constantly asked about Rehoboth Beach hotels. While I don't feel the Admiral is the perfect fit for everyone, particularly upscale clients, I feel it is a perfect match for a family. I hope to return soon.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Woodstock, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

My family has stayed at the Admiral for many years. I have come alone as well with young children,and husband at times as well as girlfriends for a weekend away. My kids are now grown, but my younger son and I were just there this weekend. The staff is always welcoming and friendly and the rooms are very updated and clean. The biggest bonus is that the hotel is just a few steps from the boardwalk which I totally love. The rates are not inexpensive but really the best for that close a location to the beach. You will not find all the frills of a regular hotel here but if you are looking for a dependable place to stay this is it. Because I am a real beach lover I do end up coming multiple times per year here. Our family also stays when we are all together at the more pricey hotel up the boardwalk for a special treat, but the Admiral is great for a time away at the beach. The only down side is that if there are people out sitting on the balcony next to your room, you can hear them. This is sometimes a problem,but just a quick heads up to them will take care of it. The staff will let you check in early if the room is ready . This Sunday I was allowed to stay parked because there was room in the garage. Garage is a bit tight but if you are careful it is not a problem. Overall a good solid place to stay.

Room Tip: No fitness center or restaurant but the ratings above do not let me reflect that. Rooms facing the f...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

This is a utilitarian, no-frills B-minus motel (not really a hotel) located in an A-plus location. The rates are quite high but justifiable if you value being just steps from the boardwalk. We arrived at noon knowing that check-in was at 3:00 PM. There was plenty of parking, but the spaces were quite small and tightly packed. The garage was also difficult to navigate due to many concrete pillars and inconveniently placed garbage cans. If you have a large SUV, there is a high risk of getting dinged by another car.

Upon arrival we found the lobby to be small and unimpressive. Additionally, there are no bellhops, complimentary beach towels or restaurants at this establishment. The staff seemed friendly, but we were told that a restroom would not be available prior to check-in. We were also forcefully reminded of their no-smoking policy and made to sign an agreement to pay $200 if we were found to be in violation. To change clothes for the beach, we were sent to closet-like lockers with rickety plastic chairs--it was hard to change into our bathing suits due to the damp floors and lack of clothing hooks.

The Admiral has one elevator and several ice/vending machines. There is also an indoor pool which looked to be fairly modern and inviting. The rooms themselves are large and clean with a small bathroom. The sinks and mirrors are in an unenclosed area. The mattress was on the soft side but not uncomfortable. On two occasions, the air conditioner cut off in the middle of the night even though the room was quite warm,. This meant that I had to get out of bed to adjust the controls.The refrigerator didn't seem to be running at a very low temperature, even thought the controls were set to the maximum. Moreover, we were "tortured" by a single black fly that I eventually managed to smush on our second night.

Outside on the balcony, the chairs are directly in front of vents blowing out hot air from the air conditioner, and there's really not much room to move away. In addition, the sound-proofing inside the room isn't perfect--you can sometimes overhear people talking late at night--either from the balcony or from an adjoining room.

Our room came with the "Partial view", which mainily overlooks a parking area and the the rooftops of adjoining buildlings. However, you can actually see a strip of the beach/ocean and the decorative lights of Rehoboth Avenue are pretty at night. You can also see and hear a band playing in the evening, but it departs at a decent hour. The Admiral offers "No view" rooms and these may be worth looking into--especially if there is a decent cost savings.

Next time around, I will look at other close-in establishements to draw comparisons on price and value. I recall that, in years past, another beachfront hotel gave out large beach towels as well as coupons for free drinks and beach chairs. So there's a lot to think about.

Room Tip: Look into the cost differential of the "No view" versus the "Partial view".
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hampstead, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Only stayed one night, but wished it was longer. We couldn't reserve a wheelchair access room ahead as it is 3 day min. on holiday weekends & had to book a regular room that happened to only be avail. for the one night, but upon arrival the staff was more than happy to check & switch us to a handicap room that had never been booked for the weekend. Our room was much cleaner and nicer than expected for a reasonably priced hotel so close to the boardwalk. Wheelchair accessible bathroom was great/huge, although I did have to move a small wardrobe cabinet to get to it as hubby's chair is 29/30 in. wide at the wheel base(sightly wider than avg., but not as wide as some). Will be coming back with the kids!

Room Tip: "ground level handicap room door opened right onto sidewalk/ great easy access for us, but some...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Allentown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights 3 days midweek. Rooms were very clean, staff was helpful.The cleaning staff was very friendly. The indoor pool was a pleasent suprise, very clean and warm. The location was perfect for me. I have a bum knee and can't walk for long distances, was right at the boardwalk. If I have any complaints it was that the elevator was a little slow,( I had to wait 45 seconds) and the fact they are not open all year round. We plan on being on vacation this November and December and now must find another place to stay at Rehoboth that will be as nice as the Admiral.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights/4days. Check-in was okay except for the guy receptionist who told me not to park on the metered spot during check-in. Where am I supposed to park if I'm checking in and no parking pass yet?!? Don't they have parking for guest checking-in?!? The room looks clean, nice refrigerator and microwave. Upon our 1st night, my wife and I didn't get a good night sleep due to the loud air-condition, keeps on waking us up when it turns on. I had to be drunk for the next 2 nights just to fall asleep. And the worst happen on the 1st night, I got awaken due to something was crawling on my legs which was underneath the sheets. I told my wife to wake up, and when we removed the sheets there is a bug-like insect crawling away from the bed. Also, the aircondition backside is exposed outside of the room, where there are 2 chairs outside to sit on. But its impossible to sit because of the heat that comes out of the aircondition. Had to move one of the chairs in front of our door so we could not feel the heat from the aircondition. Overall, the price is not worth it, other hotels are way better (complimentary breakfast vs. coffee and tea only, quiet aircondition), and cleaner (no bugs). Definitely, our first and last experience with this place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Yardley, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

We've never been to Rehoboth Beach and knew nothing about it. We happened upon the Admiral Hotel and couldn't be more pleased. The location was perfect and the staff very helpful and enthusiastic about making recommendations on where to go, etc.
We keep trying new places, but Rehoboth Beach and the Admiral Hotel are on our list of places to return to.
Really added to the great trip.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Admiral Hotel? Share your experiences!