“good location, upmarket country house decor with disappointing food.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Bellmoor Inn and Spa

You added The Bellmoor Inn and Spa to your Saves list
The Bellmoor Inn and Spa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6 Christian Street, Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971   |
Special Offer
Winter Getaway Package!
Ranked #3 of 29 Hotels in Rehoboth Beach
London, United Kingdom
“good location, upmarket country house decor with disappointing food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

We stayed at this Inn for 6 nights and although the public rooms are beautifully appointed, we found some very disappointing aspects to our holiday. The Bellmoor is well located in that it is set slightly back from the beach front and therefore close enough to reach, but away from any noise.
There is a budget motel right nextdoor and the Inn looks a though it was also once a motel that has now been extensively renovated and refurbished. The free car parking within the Inn grounds is a great bonus, as is the complimentary launderette.
All the public rooms are beautifully decorated and our room was inviting, the bed comfortable. But there was a shortage of storage in our room and in fact when we looked in other bedrooms, they also had very little place to store anything. So the complimentary coffee machine, coffee cups ,our toothbrushes, hair brushes,soap and toiletries all had to share the same squashy shelf. Our cases took up floor space and this made the room feel very cramped. The lighting in the room was extremely poor and we always had to have them on to see. Our airconditioning was not working on arrival, but to be fair a new unit was installed the following day.
The Inn has no kitchen so the breakfasts are brought in each morning, served from bain maries and therefore always luke warm. The food was more or less the same monotonous choice each day and you ate what you were given, no questions asked. So when I requested low fat cheese for example, I was told it was not possible. Everything was full of sugar, eggs were powdered ,scrambled , except weekends when we were treated to omelettes, but dont ask for a boiled or poached egg.
The Inn offers tea and biscuits each afternoon. Dont waste your time as it is just that. Tea from hot pots (water usually luke warm) and packets of biscuits., or weekends bought cupcakes.
Front desk staff were polite rather than endearing, except on our last day when we needed items from our stored luggage and we were closely monitored to see we didnt steal someone elses' posessions. As the Inn markets itself as upmarket, staff should have brought our case out to us, instead of allowing us into the storage room and then treating us like wannabe pilferers.
I do not believe that this Inn offers good value for money. It is expensive and whilst the decor gets 5 stars, the food barely rates a 3.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2010

My partner and I took our boys for a long weekend. I rarely write reviews though felt compelled to do so. We had a wonderful stay.everything was great but the service was outstanding. Better than many ritz carlton's and four seasons where I have stayed.

It's great for families or couples. If going sans kids, book the adult only floor. Enjoy!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2010

As my husband said to me when we settled into our room yesterday, "What a find!" We're so excited about The Bellmoor that I'm writing this review during our stay via in-room wireless internet. (Always a plus for this wired couple.) For our anniversary we were looking for a relaxing getaway with a spa and within driving distance from home. Check, check, and check!

The service is fab in all areas - laid back yet excellent, friendly yet unobtrusive. Ambiance is excellent, old world meets 21st century. The complimentary full breakfast in the Garden Room offers a variety of selections to suit all preferences.

Our room on the 4th/Club floor, is beautifully decorated and incredibly clean. Thank you housekeeping! When travelling we believe that cleanliness is next to godliness so the pristene bathroom is much appreciated. Another great feature about the 4th floor is that it's for adults and only adults. Makes us feel special. A nice feature when you want to sleep in or get away without the children or grandchildren.

Conveniently located on the 2nd floor is the day spa. Again, clean and friendly. We enjoyed our services this morning and are looking forward to hot stone massages this afternoon. My husband had his first facial today and is loving it!

Although only 2 blocks away, if we could change anything, we would move it closer to the beach. But then we may have to sacrifice the solitude and then it wouldn't be The Bellmoor.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Newark, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2010

My wife and I traveled to Rehoboth Beach for our anniversary and were privileged to discover the Bellmoor Inn and Spa.

There are few places where my blood pressure drops when I pull onto the property and I am happy to say that the Bellmoor is one of those places. It is a relaxing oasis with all the amenities for which one could hope.

We will definitely return!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2010

My friend and I stayed at the Bellmoor for one night. We went mainly for the spa and the proximity to the shops and restaurants and boardwalk. We arrived early sunday morning and headed right toward our spa appts. Everyone was extremely friendly. The spa was wonderful. I had a facial and pedicure and my friend had pedicure and massage. It was wonderful. Afterwards, our room wasn't ready, so we headed to shop and have lunch. I love Rehoboth in the off season minus the crowds.
We had gorgeous weather! After lunch we headed back and our room was ready. The room was very nice, clean and comfy. We hada guest room on the 2nd floor by the spa. The pool wasn't open yet, but looked nice as did the hot tub. The beds were very comfortable. Since it was sunny we hit the beach and then came back for more spa treatments (massage and tropical glow skin treatment--highly recommended!!!). The girls in the spa were wonderful, so friendly and extremely good at what they do!
The staff at the hotel had several recommendations for dinner and were kind and friendly.
We had dinner at Blu (the old Eden), it was fabulous!
We just enjoyed walking around Rehoboth and shopping. It was a great time.
Monday morning breakfast at the hotel was great, lots of choices, fruit was yummy, there was french toast, eggs, oatmeal, pastries, muffins, lots of coffee and juice choices.
We then had one more round of treatments at spa (massage and reflexology). Again, we were so happy and so relaxed!
We got a great rate staying sunday to monday (183 total). We really enjoyed our stay, the hotel is beautiful inside, the sitting rooms, the library, the garden courtyards. There is just a sense of peace and relaxtion at the Bellmoor. I definitely plan to return, though I agree I probably wouldn't spend 350 a night there and rather go on off days/season.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2010

My adult daughter and I spent 5 nights in mid-September. At check-in, we were not given any information about the property, the area, etc. We explored and found the pool and spa. We stayed in the Gardner's Cottage, which was cozy. The bedding was wonderful. The side porch was delightful but needed a good cleaning. The first floor bath was really tiny. The upstairs room was lovely but there was no closet or any place to hang clothes. A coat rack or some antique knobs would be a nice addition. The daily breakfast was nice and the sweets in the afternoon were delicious. This hotel is pricey and could use a more customer service friendly front desk staff.

• Stayed September 2009
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2010

We visited over Thanksgiving vacation last fall and am sorry that I'm just now writing a review. When you arrive at the hotel, the outside doesn't look that impressive. The inside is an entirely different story! It's amazing. I don't know where to begin. Service was amazing every time we encountered a hotel employee. The room itself was nice---we didn't do the concierge level but that also sounded wonderful. I loved the fact that the hotel had different comfortable common rooms---my favorite was a room with games and a fireplace and newspapers to read, very comfy in cool weather. The room we stayed in was very comfortable and nice, even for two grown-ups and a little kid (sometimes that can be a little cramped but not at the Bellmoor). We really enjoyed the afternoon "tea" and my daughter loved trying the tea and the mini cupcakes, which were refreshed whenever necessary. Breakfast was served in the same area and was amazingly extensive. Nice areas to sit in with your family, either at regular tables or on a little porch-type area. Omelet station, lots of options to choose from, and multiple newspapers to choose from. Loved it! Great atmosphere and really nice place to stay.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family

Been to The Bellmoor Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!