“Wonderful Stay for a Wonderful Hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

3 Night Getaway
Ranked #4 of 29 Hotels in Rehoboth Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Idaho
“Wonderful Stay for a Wonderful Hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2007

Having traveled all over the world, I was excited to learn about The Bellmoor Inn in Rehoboth Beach. I hadn't been to the beach in several years and was excited to hear about an upscale hotel at the beach. The rates are high in season, but in September, the weather was beautiful and the rates were lower. I was pleased to learn that The Bellmoor had a service charge. I don't understand the other tripadvisor review. I was informed of the service charge and was glad to pay it!! It made my stay so much easier, having always been confused on proper tipping protocol, knowing that I didn't have to pass out any cash. This trip I stayed in a Deluxe Room, but after Leslie gave me a tour, I will probably stay in a Deluxe Junior Suite on my next visit. I also enjoyed free Internet access and daily newspapers.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Arlington, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2007

As far as I'm concerned, Rehoboth Beach, Delaware is the best beach town in the world. That is not hyperbole. You can park your car and walk to everything.

And for a great place to stay, I highly recommend The Bellmoor Inn & Spa. My husband and I have stayed there since 1998, when the property was the Dinner Bell Inn.

We come here year round. The wood-burning fireplace in the library is heaven. And there is a well-equipped workout room with windows!

In season, lovely folks from Jamaica come to keep house wonderfully and to help guests with their luggage. If you are used to a high level of personal service, you will appreciate the quality of their service.

This June was our 40th Wedding Anniversary, and my husband said that I could go anywhere in the world that I wished. All I wanted was The Bellmoor at Rehoboth Beach. It's absolutely divine.

One more thing, there's a historic section that looks out over a lovely garden, with flowers year round and trees where the birds sing. So relaxing.

If you're a discerning traveler looking for a lovely place to relax at the beach, I believe that The Bellmoor Inn & Spa will exceed your expectations.

• Liked — Comfort & Location
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
US
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2007

We spent 5 nights at the Bellmoor. We stayed in one of the suites on the top (adults only) floor. It seemed like we had our own little slice of heaven up there. We definitely made use of the free soft drinks and snacks. There was some on-and-off rain during our stay so we were in the room more than we expected and were not disappointed. The sitting area accommodated us nicely and the jacuzzi was big enough for the 2 of us. There wasn't much of a view from our balcony but we knew the hotel's location and didn't expect to have a view. Having an adults-only pool is a wonderful thing for those of us without kids who want to relax in the water with a book. The included breakfasts were a nice touch - especially the custom omelets on weekends. Since the place we used to stay in Dewey Beach has been turned into condos, we'll likely stay at the Bellmoor in the future. For more info and to see our photos, visit http://www.weloveourlife.com/inns/rehoboth.html

Stayed June 2006
baltimore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2007

The common areas are attractive, as others stated, dark and woodsy. Too bad all flower arrangements are silk, not fresh. The Garden Room was $175 for a Thursday night, a slightly high rate for "shoulder" season, but the same room jumped up to $305 for the Friday night/weekend, which would have been outrageous given that the room was no more than a motel room gussied up a bit with nice drapes and a great flat screen tv. Very good, firm king sized bed with nice bedding.
Issues: The stair railing leading up to our room was rickety; the indoor/outdoor carpeting outside our room was badly frayed; and the carpeting inside our room was faded and "felt" dirty. Also, the room had that "motel smell" that was impossible to remove even with all windows left open which allowed a nice air flow through the room. The latter points are all inexcusable for a hotel that wants to obviously be " a cut above" from the ordinary beach motel.
The buffet breakfast had a nice variety, but again, a hotel of this nature should splurge on some decent pastries from a local bakery (or make them fresh). Dried mini-muffins and standard fare mini-buns from the 'discount' line of the store are embarrassing.
Pools are very small as noted; hard to believe that they're large enough to accommodate all guests mid-summer.
Returning in October - March for real off-season rates ($145 for an inside hotel room) could be a deal, given what they charge and obviously get in-season.
When we think of great boutique hotels we stay in NYC for $250 per weekend night, it's hard to imagine paying $305 for a motel room in Rehoboth, DE that is not even ocean view.

• Liked — good bed; flat screen tv
  • Disliked — poor condition of outdoor carpeting leading to room, carpeting in room,
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2007

The hotel is nice, staff is gracious, and all that. I thought the rates were steep when I made the reservation, but did not hear them mention a 9% "service charge". No - not a tax to the city or state, a service charge for tips. This is outrageous! When I complained they said I must have not heard them when they told me. Let's see how smug they are when they get my complaint from the Delaware Better Business Bureau!

• Liked — nice hotel - pretty, clean, etc.
  • Disliked — hidden fees
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2007

It's a shame that I have to give the Bellmoor a bad review, as the property is very nice and the staff seemed to be very nice and acommodating, until there was a problem.

We realized after checking out and getting on our plane to go home that we had left some expensive electronic equipment in the room. We know for a fact that this was in the room, as we used it while there and then realized it was missing when getting on the plane.

We immediatly called the hotel when we got home and talked to someone at the front desk who was very nice and said they'd check the room and call us back. They did not call us back. My husband then called again, and talked to someone different who was very nice and said they'd check the room and call us back. They did not call us back. My husband then sent them an email and this was where things went downhill.

The emails we received back were rude and showed that the staff did not really seem to care that our items were missing. In one of the emails, the staff member told us that he "checked the room personally" (two days later) and that the housekeeper that cleaned our room was a "model employee" and would not have taken anything. (We never accused the housekeeper of anything...) and that obviously we misplaced the items somewhere else. There was no apology and I guess we're just SOL.

We mentioned in one email that this must be an ongoing problem with the Bellmoor, as we read a similar complaint in another TripAdvisor review. The staff member was very mad when we said this and insisted HIS hotel has NEVER had problems with missing items before. Oh, really? How about this review: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g34048-d251128-r6571084-The_Bellmoor-Rehoboth_Beach_Delaware.html

Regardless, the Bellmoor is a very nice hotel with a good location, but frankly, I won't stay again since they are unwilling to deal with any negative experiences. If you do stay, make sure you lock everything up all the time, and if you lose something, don't bother telling them about it - they don't care.

• Disliked — People taking our stuff and them not caring about it.
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2007

This was our third visit to the Bellmoor and we are not sure if we will return to this Inn. This visit we stayed in Palmer House with balcony as we did once before in the past. Our biggest complaint is the dirty rooms. This is very unsettling to us. Seems to be the same problems every visit. Caked on dust on most of the baseboard and cobwebs overhead - not a pleasing sight when I lay down and look up ! I have complained with no interest from the staff . The bathrooms are rather cramped, moldy, and this trip the handle on the tank is about to snap - but the all important "pointing" of the toilet paper and the late night tapping on the door to "turn down" my bed is ever-present. I can turn down my own bed, thank you, how about cleaning the room. Further more, it doesn't seem to matter that we always leave money for the cleaning staff! On the up side the grounds are rather calming and pretty; breakfast is always good and ready and the breakfast/dining area is quite nice. Unfortunately, I can longer see paying $1100 for a 3 nights stay in a rather dirty room. We also stayed at the Delaware Inn a few years back and we were delighted with the staff and spotless rooms. The only drawback was ice cold AC and paperthin walls.

• Liked — built-in breakfast, walking distance to beach
  • Disliked — dirty rooms, uninterested staff
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Bellmoor Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!