“Really wanted it to be better...” 2 of 5 stars

You added Atlantis Inn to your Saves list
Atlantis Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   154 Rehoboth Avenue, Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971   |
Ranked #12 of 29 Hotels in Rehoboth Beach
“Really wanted it to be better...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2008

I booked this hotel anticipating a little more after reading the reviews. The room itself was okay, though it definetly had a musty smell. The first day was actually pretty decent, we were going to stay there 3 nights and were quite happy with the location. It is about an eight minute walk from the beach.

The problems developed after housekeeping visitied the first day. They were in our room because the bed was made, but none of the towels had been replaced, leaving us with no towels, and the plastic cups and ice bucket bag wasn't either.

Another problem cropped up when requesting a wake-up call. The front-desk is staffed primarily by what appears to be high-school aged boys who play computer games all day. We also saw one of the front-desk staff members hassling people in front of the hotel to impress some girls by trying to sell goldfish. Very unprofessional. Anyway, we wanted to see the sunrise. Well guess what, they forgot to set it and we woke up 20 minutes too late.

The biggest issue though was the water temperature in the showers. The only way that could describe it is dangerous. The water would vary from ice cold to scalding hot. We didn't have kids with us, but I would seriously consider not staying here with children based solely on this. At one point, I had to jump out of the shower because of the temp change and almost getting scalded.

Overall, I'd say, don't stay here. Stay at the Avenue Inn or Avenue Inn 2 after checking them out, they seem to be a good value.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — front desk, water temp of showers, poor service overall
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
ChrisBerg, Director of Sales at Atlantis Inn, responded to this review, July 17, 2008
I'm sorry to hear your experience with the Atlantis Inn was less than satisfactory. Please accept my apology for any shortcomings we may have made in our service to you and your party, and know that we take your feedback very seriously. Please know, the management has taken steps to ensure any inconsistencies in service you experienced were addressed to help avoid any problems for future guests.

You didn't mention in your review, but I hope you reported the housekeeping amenity shortages to the Front Desk so they could be delivered to you promptly by a member of our service team.

I'm sorry to hear about the wake-up call being missed, but judging by the actions you mentioned, it doesn't sound like you received the attention of the young men working at the time you should have. I apologize for this. The young men you mentioned were, in the most politically-correct sense, disciplined for not doing their job.

It's my understanding the person trying to give away the goldfish was a guest who was leaving the hotel and pushing the "guys" to take the fish. In lieu of flushing the fish, it's my understanding they were trying to help out. That's the information I've gathered based on other guest feedback I received applauding the gentlemen for helping the troubled guest out. I am sorry to hear this situation took precedence over the needs of others.

And lastly, regarding the water temperature in the showers, this is definitely something that can be easily fixed when brought to our attention. While rare, the shower valves contain rubber parts which can adjust over time from usage causing an inbalance in the single valve system. These are easily replaced and I hope you notified the Front Desk so this could be done while you were still on property. If not, please be so kind to let the hotel or myself know which room was affected so the problem can be addressed. The Atlantis Inn switched to the Rinnai system (On-demand Hot Water System) in 2006 from the standard boiler/hot water systems to avoid any temperature inconsistencies those types of antiquated systems typically experience.

Again, I sincerely apologize for the missed opportunities we had while you were a visitor to our hotel. I hope, if given the opportunity, you'll return to allow us to prove we are better than your previous experience may have indicated. Please feel free to contact me any time if you'd like to discuss your experience further.

Christopher Berg
Director of Sales
ChrisBerg@atlanticmanagement.biz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2008

We decided to stay at this hotel based on other reviews here. Staff was nice, room was clean, location was great. The furnishings in the room seemed new and were in great shape. Nice tile in bathroom and nice countertop. Room had a decent sized refrigerator and microwave. The only thing I really didn't like about this room (218) was the lack of privacy. The rooms have outside access and this means that everybody walking to their rooms can look in your window if the curtains are open. This is a problem because the only room with a door is the bathroom which is very small with just a toilet and shower. The sink is on the other side of the door in the main area with the beds. We had to keep the curtain closed a lot or risk giving someone a show when we wanted to get dressed. That being said, I would definitely stay here again because it was close to beach, not too expensive and most of all very clean!!

• Liked — clean
  • Disliked — outside access
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2008

The Atlantis Inn is a teriffic place to stay if you don't have the
desire for a lavish place to sleep. When you spend so little time in your room because there is so much to do when you're 2
blocks from the boardwalk, beach, great shops, tons of great restaurants and eateries, close proximity to super outlets,
plus so many other activities to enjoy within walking/biking
distance......how much time do you really need/want to spend in your hotel room? So why not splurge on other stuff while on vacation and still enjoy a nice, clean, reasonably priced motel--
it's a no brainer for our family and we're heading back for the 3rd
summer stay there in July! Check it out!!!!

Kathy L.
Allentown, PA

• Liked — They have several different suite options
  • Disliked — It would be nice to have a continental breakfast offered
Stayed July 2007
Pittsburgh,Pa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2008

We love staying at the Atlantis. It is extremely convenient to all Rehoboth has to offer. The staff is always helpful and extremely friendly. We especially love their internet specials and values! We look forward to our next stay and the coffee in the morning!

• Liked — the staff and convenience
  • Disliked — no hair dryers
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Severna Park, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2008

My wife and two children recently stayed at The Atlantis Inn. From the moment I called them to book the reservation, I had great experience. Cheryl was exceedingly friendly on the phone and genuinely happy to have my business.

When we checked in, we were met by David and Scott. They were very helpful. During my three night stay, someone always said hello or goodbye as I walked past the front desk.

A special mention goes to David who I had the most contact with - he went out of his way to give us dinner recommendations and make our stay the best it could be. I am very grateful and I looked forward to chatting with him when he was on shift.

The rooms were neat and clean. Everything worked just fine.

The location is great - a block and a half from the boardwalk and beach. Bottom line: I would highly recommend The Atlantis Inn.

Chris Flohr

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Wilmington, DE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2008

For convenience and walking distance to the beach, restaurants, and stores, Atlantis Inn has it all! We were able to check in at 11 a.m. (very early, considering check-in is 3 p.m.) and park our car in their lot right away. The room was average, clean, and more modern than most beach hotels in the area, and the staff was very attentive. The most impressive element of the hotel was how accomodating they were even after checking out of the hotel. We could keep our car there for the day (only when spots are available) to enjoy the rest of the day on the beach, and they even offered a shower and changing room available for guests who don't want to drive home all sandy in their suits! It made our last day there so much easier and we appreciated their hospitality. If you're going to the beach for the weekend, or even a long weekend, I strongly suggest the Atlantis Inn.

• Liked — The convenience of location and hospitality of staff
dreacraftie28
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2008

i went to the atlantis for the weekend to check out the beach and i was happy with the whole outcome i had a king size suite and it was quite lovely the bathrooms were nice and there was a frige and microwave a good distance from the beach and local hotspot the wireless internet access was a huge plus. the only thing i cud say against it was that i wish they had an iron and the bed was huge and my girlfriend wouldn't cuddle with me because she had her own island on the bed lol can't wait to go again in august

• Liked — the humor of the people at the front desl
  • Disliked — there wasn't an iron or tv with a dvd player
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Atlantis Inn? Share your experiences!