“would never stay there again” 2 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Flip for Fall Special
Ranked #11 of 29 Hotels in Rehoboth Beach
Stony Brook, New York
“would never stay there again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

we have been staying at this motel for 9 years over columbus day weekend.
it is a weekend that celebrates ex racing greyhound adoption and raises funds from various events to help out adoption groups and ohio state vet school which is doing research to help cure bone cancer in dogs. well for the first few years we were welcomed with open arms by the motel.

we put up with musty, dingy rooms as the motel was very welcoming and supportive. our group at one point booked 30 rooms. everyone would book a year in advance to make sure rooms would be available but each year the motel would raise their prices and started charging dog fee which intially they told us they were donating to greyhound adoption-we never saw any record that they made any donation

too make a long story short - the rooms are musty,smokey(supposed to be a non smoking motel), one rooms refrigator filled with mold, pool emptied, other motels pools open, chaise lounge chair cushions taken away to quote an employee "the dogs could damage cushions and management feels you guys will pay whatever" people smoking on pool deck and cat walk
they have raised the rates of the rooms and are now charging $30 per dog per night. other nicers motels are welcoming and since this is an event for rescue dogs are waiving dog fees. the atlantis should just say we don't want you instead of making all of us unwelcomed. we had 9 rooms over the weekend - no damage and everyone cleaned up after their dogs. none of us have rebooked they motels loss.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
ChrisBerg, Director of Operations at Atlantis Inn, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you, Iris, for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor, and hello back! I didn’t see you while you were on property this time around but did receive the “Hello” greeting you left Penny (the Manager) at check-out. Hello back and I’m glad to see you made it home safely! I saw your review and wanted to respond directly since we have such a long, friendly history together.
I believe I may have been the first manager at this property to welcome your group from New York 9 years ago? I grew very close to the group and have always had an appreciation for what GRTB represents. It’s a noble cause and one the hotel staff has embraced. I do take offense to the misrepresentations you’ve shared, however, and I’m surprised knowing you as well as I do, you never spoke up about any concern prior to creating this account on TripAdvisor for the specific purpose of leaving this one negative review. You’ve never been one to mince words with me, or any member of my staff, so I’m perplexed as to why we’re hearing this online versus in person? I’m also concerned that as a 9-year guest of the Atlantis Inn why you never created a TripAdvisor account for the purposes of sharing anything positive? I would hope we had done something well over the past 9 years for you and your group to keep returning.
Since my team wasn’t afforded the opportunity to inspect the musty/smoking concerns with you while you were on property, it makes it difficult to acknowledge your feedback. However, I can share the room was rented before and immediately following your stay and these concerns were not raised by those guests. Housekeepers, followed by the Room Inspector, are in these rooms each day and no inconsistencies were reported before or after your visit according to the housekeeping inspection logs I reviewed. It should be noted, those found to have smoked in our non-smoking rooms are fined - $250.00. Again, I wish you had mentioned this while on property so you could have shown us first-hand your concerns and we could have done something to remedy or otherwise compensate.
Regarding the donation of part of the pet fee, this was indeed an initiative from several years ago. This has not been done in more recent years because of the unanticipated backlash the hotel received from other greyhound charity organizations who were not selected for those donations. What was intended to be a positive became a tremendous negative. It was very unfortunate others did not see the benefit we hoped they would in this gesture which totaled in the thousands. With regards to the rates you indicated have increased each year, I reviewed your history over the past seven years. You’ve not had an increase in the rate for your suite for the past 5 years until this year. Prior to 5 years ago you always rented a deluxe room which would have a much lower rate. I don’t understand your claim about the higher rate each year? Additionally, pet fees have been raised three times in the past 7 (or possibly more) years to its current rate of $30.00. The hotel has always charged a dog fee in the 9 years you’ve been visiting – unfortunately, I can’t review further back than 7 years in our computer system to investigate further.
Another concern you raised was the emptied pool. Since I started with the company 10 years ago, the pools were always closed during the 3rd week in September as the weather began to cool. This was not something new this year, and I cannot speak to when other hotels might close their outdoor pools. It’s interesting you mention the chaise lounge cushions since it became clear two years ago, when you conducted a dog wash business on our 3rd floor deck and attendees proceeded to throw the cushions on the ground for the dogs to lay upon, something needed to change. This use of the lounge cushions was completely unacceptable and despite numerous requests asking attendees to refrain from abusing the cushions in this manner, it became evident that the best way to ensure the cushions were cared for was to remove them. To that end, we received a number of complaints from non-GRTB guests about the behavior of the greyhound owners, not allowing other paying hotel guests to use the sundeck while the wash was happening. This was unacceptable – especially since this business was being run on hotel property, using hotel resources, but without hotel permission. By advertising this dog wash event to other attendees, you welcomed non-registered guests onto private property potentially putting registered Atlantis Inn guests safety and security in question. Simply, the group abused a privilege and it was removed once the hotel became aware of the problem.
At no point have we ever expressed an unwelcoming attitude towards this group, or the wonderful cause they represent. Our expectation was simply that all GRTB guests would be considerate to the other guests using the hotel, and vice versa. The hotel wants to provide all guests the same opportunity and positive experience, and will no longer provide exemptions or exclusions to GRTB guests as we’ve done for so many years. We want to do what’s right and fair to all guests and understand that means we may lose customers in the process. Everyone should be held to the same standard in order to avoid conflicts and/or retribution. That’s what we’re trying to accomplish.
I care a lot for you personally, and for your group, but understand this is an appropriate time for you to seek out a new lodging partner who may be willing to provide you more flexibility with their rates, policies and exceptions. I’m elated to hear there are other properties which are willing to waive the pet fees, and I hope they provide you a wonderful experience in the coming year(s). Thank you for the many years you’ve been our guest. It truly has meant a lot to us.
Chris Berg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Long Island New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

This property has an excellent location, close to everything. That is what you are paying for.
It's convenient, we go with about 10 couples every year.... and we all stay here.
We go for Greyhound weekend. This last trip upper management has made it clear they don't especially like or want to have us(Greyhound owners) as guests. The rates & pets fees just keep escalating and upper management leaves a "memo" for the desk clerks to hand out. Upper management is not caring enough to visit to support or help the staff during a tense time.
Rates starting @ $159 & up for Columbus weekend. plus 25 per night per pet. Purely profit motivated. They obviously don't use the money to do appropriate cleaning, the rooms need more than a simple carpet shampoo! Granted you will need to clean after dogs stay, but that doesn't mean I should have to stay in a dirty room beacause you claim/plan to clean when we leave.

We have found:-
-no iron or ironing board
-no in room coffee makers
-TV's so old the picture is blurry & difficult to watch
-old/soft mattresses
-soap scum & dirt in tub/shower
-stains on ceilings
-dirty refrigerator
- dust so thick you could easily write in it
-whomever cleans, they don't clean thoroughly, there is a ring of dirt around the room, carpets are clean, but only to within 2" of the walls
-the HVAC vents were moldy & mildewed
-there was a "Tums" on the base of the AC unit, that was clearly visible when entering the room, yet it remains in place

I could go on, but I think the picture is clear.

During our stay we noticed one night, there were only 5 sooms occupied. And on a 4 day holiday weekend, they only sold out one night. What does that indicate?

Room Tip: In season, you want a room in the "front" away from the pool deck. They are supposed to re...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
ChrisBerg, Director of Operations at Atlantis Inn, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Thank you, LukeGildaGreyhound, for taking the time to submit your feedback on your recent stay. We certainly appreciate you and your group returning to our property for this fun weekend again this year. This is a weekend the whole staff looks forward to – they really enjoy meeting all the hounds, big and small! As “upper management”, and someone present on property multiple times throughout event, I thought I would take the time to respond as you feel we have an unappreciative and unsympathetic feeling towards Greyhound owners.
First, I thank you pointing out our excellent location, and for the fact that we don’t provide an iron/board or coffee makers in the rooms. These have never been room-stocked amenities in the past as you’d certainly recall from your prior visits to the property. However, I’m very disappointed to hear you may have experienced any housekeeping inconsistencies, and very surprised to hear about all the items you listed as there were no housekeeping concerns brought to the front desk’s attention all weekend. The only complaints we received were about the dogs and their barking/rooing. I would have hoped if you experienced any housekeeping issues, you would have brought them to someone’s attention so they could have immediately been remedied. These concerns would seem an isolated issue as you indicated you were a guest multiple times and it would be my hope that you’d feel comfortable enough at this point to approach us if anything was out of the norm.
I’m not sure why you feel the [upper management] doesn’t care for you as guests? For decades, we’ve made exceptions to rules and rates for this weekend exclusive to its participants. As attendance has waned with Greyhounds Reach the Beach participants, and we’ve made way for individual guests and other event attendees for the holiday weekend, we’re simply applying the same rules which affect ANY other dog owner who wishes to bring their dog to the property. If you’re unhappy that you’re now being held to the same standard as any other guest, I can understand that, but your assessment of me is simply unfair. This policy ensures fairness to all dog owners and that’s the right thing to do.
You are also correct. Rates did increase $5 this year, for this weekend, for the first time in 2 years. Again, this is what’s fair as this is what other guests pay to stay for the holiday weekend, and reasonable considering how utility, linen, insurance and labor costs have risen. Additionally, you’ll find our rates are in line with the rest of the area hotels, especially given it was a holiday weekend. The purpose of the “memo” was to quickly address the policy changes so there was no discrepancy moving forward about what the hotel rules were and to assist GRTB guests with their decision for their 2013 booking. This was our attempt to be proactive with information, not simply to create a tense situation. Contrary to your feedback, both the owner and I were present each day of the event/weekend, and both had this very discussion with attendees. Clearly you were not one we had the opportunity to speak with.
In closing, I’d like to address your misconception about our occupancy that weekend, and being sold out just the one night. You may recall it was forecasted all week to expect rain over the weekend. Well, it rained, unfortunately, and generally people don’t enjoy coming to the beach when it rains. In fact, due to the weather, no one had a sold out holiday weekend in Rehoboth or Dewey according to the Chamber of Commerce. Ordinarily, and weather permitting, this weekend is a sell-out for the whole area.
I apologize for the long response but I wanted to be sure to address your feedback fairly and honestly. I hope you will consider reaching out to the hotel, or me directly, to discuss your housekeeping concerns so we can ensure it was an isolated incident. Thank you again for your feedback and I wish you safe travels.
Chris Berg
Director of Operations
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

Having been here for a number of years staying at different inns - Atlantis Inn is by far our favorite. The location, quiet rooms & comfortable beds made for a wonderful stay. We are making out reservations to stay here again next year before we leave this week!

• Stayed October 2012
AtlantisInn, General Manager at Atlantis Inn, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review. Glad that you finally found us and enjoyed our hotel so much. We certainly enjoyed having you and are looking forward to seeing you again next year!!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Staying in Rehoboth on a weekend during the summer season always requires you to book for two nights as a minimum. We thought this rule would not be applicable during the post-Labor Day period. We were wrong! All hotels still insisted on this requirement, which was not an option to us. So we waited till one hotel "blinked first"--and this was the Atlantis Inn. And so they got our and our friends' business. Other hotels only returned emails and calls much later. I am not sure that this is smart business behavior during the off-season.

In any case, we liked the Atlantis Inn. Its location can hardly be beat, right in the middle of Rehoboth. Parking was easy, check-in and -out were super fast and efficient, and the rooms were very spacious and clean. And the price was fair relative to what was offered.

We will be back!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for the great review. We are very happy that you were able to take advantage of our one night stay option! Thanks for mentioning our great location, efficient customer service and our clean rooms! We love hearing that!
Thanks again for the review and we hope to see you again.
Blandon, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel for a week the last two August's, and have already put our room on hold for next year. The location is perfect - a short walk to the beach, amusement park, and all the restaurants and pubs. You can park your car and not move it the entire time you are there. Rooms are decent sized for a family of four, clean, and beds are comfortable. Staff has been very helpful both times we have stayed there. The only negative I could mention is the bathrooms are starting to look a little rough. A remodel of the bathrooms would have made this a 5 star rating instead of a 4 star rating. Regardless, we are very pleased with out experiences at this hotel and would recommend to others.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
AtlantisInn, General Manager at Atlantis Inn, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the hotel. We never get tired of hearing about our great location, clean rooms and our friendly staff! We certainly appreciate all of our customers but especially the loyal ones that return on a regular basis. We look forward to your return visit next year!
Acton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

My family and I stayed here in August. It was clean and close to the beach so you can walk and bring your chairs/etc. The food in the area was tasty and shopping was fun. Lots of touristy places with a few independent stores thrown in. I bought a lovely marcasite antique bracelet in a store that didnt seem to carry it.

Room Tip: I thought the rooms would be noisy since the hotel is right on the main road. We were facing a back...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
AtlantisInn, General Manager at Atlantis Inn, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Thank you so much for the great review! It sounds like you and your family took advantage of everything Rehoboth Beach has to offer. I am glad we helped make your vacation a memorable one and we look forward to seeing you next year!
easton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

my partner and i stayed at the Atlantis Inn for 2 nites the week befor Labor Day and it was just fine! the room was large (with a small dining table and chairs) but very clean! yeah, the bathroom is small, but i dont use the bathroom for disco or ballroom dancing. it too was very clean, with fresh towels each day. and someone complained becuz of the lack of a large flat TV...i also dont go to the beach to watch TV while i disco in the bathroom. the pool upstairs is convenient with lounge chairs for sunning if u dont want to drag to the beach...which i didnt. the front desk staff is very friendly, concerned, and helpful. but most important is the location, location, location! cant be beat for shopping or restaurants. right behind the Atlantis is the Henlopen Oyster restaurant. which is also great! (read my review on it too).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
AtlantisInn, General Manager at Atlantis Inn, responded to this review, September 16, 2012
Thank you so much for your great review! The staff and I are pleased that we were able to accommodate your needs and are grateful for your kind words. I am glad you found the staff helpful and we never get tired of hearing about our awesome location.
Thanks again and we look forward to serving you for many years to come!

Been to Atlantis Inn? Share your experiences!