“Very happy with my stay” 5 of 5 stars

AmericInn Lodge & Suites Rehoboth Beach
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   36012 Airport Road, Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971   |
Ranked #12 of 29 hotels in Rehoboth Beach
Maryland
“Very happy with my stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We stayed here for 3 nights in the middle of June. Upon arriving we noticed the building was freshly painted and the grounds were nicely landscaped. There was plenty of parking.
The lobby was very modern and smelled and looked very clean.
We did not use the pool.
The location was very quiet. You could not hear any traffic from the main road. The hotel looks like they just had a remodel. Our room was on the first floor. It was very clean, updated and modern. The bed was comfy too. We used the mini frig and I like having a safe in the room, so I do not have a problem paying the $1.50 fee per day for this convenience.
The air conditioner worked well. We were very comfortable. The staff was super friendly.
I had coffee and breakfast in the morning. I noticed that the breakfast area was constantly being restocked. The employees I encountered were keeping this area clean and spotless during and after the breakfast rush.
I would definitely stay here again. I did not have any unusual charges on my bill.
I had a very positive experience staying here. I'm hoping to return again next year.

126 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Springfield, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We have stayed at the AmericInn twice and recommended it to friends as an good budget (well, budget for the summer at the beach) option in Rehoboth. We had no qualms about making our annual reservation again this year.

We were pleasantly suprised to see that the lobby had been renovated when we checked in this year and were told that the hotel is under new management this year, hence the improvements. Unfortunately, our stay was downhill from there.

When we got to our room, it was a handicapped room. There was no lip to the shower, and the shower curtain hung six inches above the floor -- water during a shower would go everywhere during a shower. I returned to the front desk to ask why we'd been put in that room when we didn't reserve it only to be told that I had. I have no recollection of doing so; all I wanted was a room with a king-sized bed. The woman at the front desk said, however, that the guest who'd checked in right after us was unhappy about being given a room on the second floor (the motel has no elevator) and that she was ask her to switch with us. The woman agreed, and we were moved to the second floor.

Once we got in, my husband used the restroom and the toilet immediately overflowed when he flushed it. We ran back downstairs to alert the front desk, only to find out that the front desk attendants don't have ready access to either a toilet plunger or a mop. In the meantime, we discovered that we didn't have any bath towels in the room, so I was trying to sop up water from the carpet in front of the sink with wash cloths and hand towels. Finally, someone located the plunger and brought us towels, but the carpet remained sopping wet. We ended up putting one of the new bath towels on top of it.

The next day, we were on the beach when I got a call from the motel asking if we planned to stay there that night. Of course, that was what was on my original reservation. Apparently, when were moved to the other room, we were only transferred for one night, not the two of our reservation. We raced back to the hotel to make sure our belongings were secure since the hotel apparently thought we should have checked out, only to find that, of course, our keys didn't work. We were given new keys by the front desk, and only one of them worked.

We also discovered that, when the room was serviced, they took away the towels we used but didn't replace them, so we had just one bath towel between the two of us. And, the carpet in front of the sink was still wet and starting to mildew. At that point, we only had to get through one more night, so we went to the movies and came back late to go to sleep.

Other issues through out our stay -- the wifi wasn't working, there was a problem with their DirectTV feed and the channel selection was extremely limited, and instead of four pillows on the bed we had two pillows and two pillowcases filled with blankets.

Based on our experience this year, we will be giving serious thought to staying elsewhere when we travel to Rehoboth next summer.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the ground floor if you can't do stairs
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
belkins, RMC at AmericInn Lodge & Suites Rehoboth Beach, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
I am sorry you were unhappy with your recent visit. We have made some changes to the property and always welcome feedback from our guests. The Front Office staff has been made aware of the reservation problem you encountered and we have addressed training issues.

Your review has been given to both Housekeeping and Maintenance and will followup on the issues you addressed.

We hope you will reconsider staying with us again.
Romeo, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Based on previous reviews, I didn't have high expectations for this hotel. That assessment was pretty accurate. The staff was very accommodating and friendly, but the hotel itself really shows its age. The bad part about that is the hotel is newly renovated.

AmericInn is located near Rehoboth Beach's shopping strip (Walmart, Kmart, Food Lion, Tanger Outlets, etc.). It's a few miles to the beach, but the drive isn't that bad. In front of the hotel is a shopping center featuring Food Lion, the Shell Shop, and a few other smaller stores. If you want a shortcut to the traffic light in front of Food Lion, you can go straight through Food Lion's parking lot. Behind the hotel is a thrift store. I found a lot of stuff worth money on the collectibles market, but it makes for kind of a dumpy view from rooms in the back of the hotel.

Check-in was fast. Our rate for late-June was $89, but I have more on that later. That's a good rate for the Rehoboth Beach area. Included in the rate is a continental breakfast that offers usual continental breakfast fare such as coffee, juice, yogurt, fruit, danish, breakfast sandwiches, etc. Coffee, hot chocolate, and cold water are available 24/7. The hotel allows pets, so that can be either a good or bad thing depending on your situation. A laundry room is located on the first floor. Both a washer and dryer can be used for a $1.50 each. The hotel doesn't have any detergent, so it is important to bring your own. If you don't, the nearby Food Lion has it. What the hotel doesn't have is a fitness room or elevator. It's ridiculous that they have no elevator. Instead, they leave a luggage cart at the top of the staircase. An older couple checked in late one night when we were there, and there was no way they would be able to carry their luggage to the second floor. We carried their luggage up for them (the clerk didn't offer), but I always wondered how they would get it back down the stairs. This hotel is terrible for the handicapped elderly unless they get a first floor room.

During our stay, the staff was accommodating. When we asked for more towels, we got them. When we asked for more pillows, we got them (they were actually blankets with pillow cases over them, but it worked). The only thing we didn't get were restaurant recommendations. The clerks we asked didn't seem to know of any good restaurants. Despite this, service was decent.

The hotel itself is really showing its age. The hotel was recently renovated, but they seemed to miss some hard points. The renovated lobby looks great and has interesting architectural details. Most new hotels have small lobbys, but the AmericInn has a two story lobby with a large fireplace and large staircase. The pool area seems to be untouched, but it has a large pool and hot tub. Newer hotels have smaller pools and hot tubs, so its age was actually a positive. The pool was open from early in the morning until 12:00 at night (10:00-12:00 is adult swim for 18+ only, management is very clear about that), so there is ample time to swim. The rooms are where the hotel really falls apart. From the moment we walked in, we knew the room was very musty. Our room was renovated with new bedding and freshly painted walls, but the musty smell was a major distraction from what could be a good thing. The room had double beds, a small desk with two chairs, and a vanity/sink separate from the shower and toilet. The TV was a newer flatscreen, and DVD's and VCR's were available to rent for $8 a night. The view was of the thrift store parking lot, but I was a fan of the thrift store, so that didn't bother me. The room had a safe, but it cost $1.50 per day to use. The bathroom may have been the source of the musty smell, because the small room with the toilet and shower had no fan for ventilation. As a result, mold was growing over our shower. We were lucky to be on the second floor; the first floor smelled even mustier. Staff leave the side door propped open throughout the day, probably for dog owners, so that lets in moist air. The constant musty smell is a huge drawback.

It's been noted in other reviews that there is a bait-and-switch scheme going on at check-out, and we were also victims. We were told the room would be $89 per night, but the clerk told us it would be closer to $100 even with the AAA discount. That's not right, and it is a problem noted in other Tripadvisor reviews.

Although the service was decent, I would not recommend this hotel based on the lack of an elevator and the constant musty smell.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Our Housekeeping and Maintenance Staff have been made aware of this review. We regret your stay was not up to Hospitality standards. We hope you will come back and try us again.
Wilmington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Front office staff is a joke and are clueless. Cleaning crew didnt clean our room once in 2 days. Disgusting Bathroom gross smells like mold. And has brown mold on floor. Overall not good and i dont complain much

Review collected in partnership with AmericInn Hotels and Suites

I'm sorry you were unhappy with your recent stay. We are taking steps to improve training at the desk as most are new to the property. Housekeeping and Maintenance projects are ongoing as we do find different cleaning techniques are needed for a property close to the ocean.

We take our guest feedback serious, so we can address issues and alert our staff to build a better guest experience.
Havertown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I needed to stay overnight on a quick last minute trip to Rehoboth......I was able to get a room at American. My husband and I use this hotel each time we come to town. Good location right on route 1....clean neat hotel....great staff to help with any needs. Haven't used the pool...or eaten breakfast, but they both looked great. You can also bring your dog, they have a nice area outside for dogs.

Review collected in partnership with AmericInn Hotels and Suites

Laurel, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We needed a last minute getaway to the beach so my friend found the reviews here on trip advisor. We read the reviews- both agreed it seemed to be hit or miss so we gave it a try.

Oh MY, What a MISS!. Pictures will accompany this review. Stayed in room 113 for reference purposes.
After checking in through the front lobby, we brought our bags through the side/back door just off the parking lot. First red flag should have been that the door is propped open with a metal bar- it seems as though the Smokers and Dog walkers use this entrance as there is a nice picnic table and green area for the pups. No issue with it BUT- the trash cans that are placed right by this door were overflowing with trash. What attracts to TRASH- FLIES! And there were plenty of Flies inside of the Hotel and IN OUR room (because the maids leave the doors open while they 'clean' your room. Picture included of overflowing trash cans and fly in the room.
EASY fix for this problem is that the Hotel should fix the door so that the Keys actually work in that side door- then the guests don't prop the door open next to the overflowing trash cans.

We never used the in-room microwave- because when we opened the door we found it dirty. Picture included. Some have stated that their rooms were renovated and nice- I'm including a picture of our running water sink to show that our room was not renovated and the water dripped 24/7 during our stay. I can attest to the TV quality being poor/fuzzy.

So- lets talk about the cleanliness. Have you ever left a tip in the envelope of the room and come back later in the evening to find the tip still there and your room has been serviced? Well, first time that has ever happened to us. Attention to detail? Microwave remained dirty throughout our stay- in fact, we saw a cheerio laying outside of the room across the hall on the floor and placed bets on whether it would be there when we got back. It remained there- and probably still is there.
The back/side door area off the parking lot- picture included, blood spatter on the wall and droplets on the floor. No telling how long that had been there but I did go to the front desk and tell the staff about it. It remained there for another day and a half.

Also, if you are on the first floor, you might hear the drip of the second floors a/c unit dripping down onto your unit throughout the evening- happy sleeping!

Lastly, 1.50 per day charge for a safe? really?

Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

I found this looking on line for a short get away with my wife. The hotel was newly renovated and it looked almost new inside. The staff was extremely courteous and helpful. I liked that it was just a block or so off the main highway, but very easy lighted access to Rt 1. Nice location between Cape Henlopen State Park beaches and Rehoboth/Dewey. We had a king room with whirlpool. The whirlpool was not the strongest but it still felt nice. The jacuzzi by the indoor pool is very nice. Room was exceptionally clean, the HVAC was easy to use, just set the temp...no guess work. It was quiet. The bed was comfortable. The hotel is quiet. It's not a real big hotel. No elevator to 2nd floor, but staff carried my bags upstairs!! Breakfast was adequate, not great, but then I didn't pay a lot. Breakfast = cereals, bagels, muffins, donuts,microwave egg sandwiches, fruit. Basic. Coffee bar had assorted flavors. The breakfast lobby was very spacious, neat and clean. We were happy and would return and have recommended to some friends.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to AmericInn Lodge & Suites Rehoboth Beach? Share your experiences!