“Rude front desk staff (Nelson)” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #12 of 29 Hotels in Rehoboth Beach
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Rude front desk staff (Nelson)”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Me and my family arrived at the hotel, and the front desk clerk (Nelson) informed me that my reservation was cancelled. I made my reservation trough Priceline and had a printed a reservation confirmation receipt. Nelson was very rude and said "your credit card was declined and don't even try to argue with me" while I was trying to show the confirmation. After my initial upset asking why nobody informed me about the "cancelled reservation" Nelson told me that the hotel was fully booked and that he could not do anything about it and started checking in the next guy in line. When I was trying to figure out what to do and the guy noticed me calling priceline to complain, he called me over the front desk and said that he was going to check if he could do something for us (with the tone and attitude of " I am doing you a favor"). The guy finally checked us in and offered a pretty lame explanation of what happened, apparently they can cancel your reservation (without notice) even after priceline has confirmed it. But my room was still reserved!!! I was charged almost US400 dollars while the priceline price was US324. I felt humiliated when the guy almost yelled to the lobby that my credit card was declined. Nobody has contacted me yet about the supposedly "declined credit card" and I can't help but think that I was the victim of some sort of scam to make me pay more than I was supposed to.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Annandale, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We recently stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Rehoboth for two nights over Labor Day Weekend.
It is not a resort and is not a luxury hotel. But it IS very clean, staff is very friendly and accommodating, location is very convenient to beach and shopping, beds are comfortable, and breakfast was good. I'm so glad that we chose this hotel. We checked in early, at about 11:30 am, and were on the beach by 12:15 pm! We walked out of the hotel and after a 2 minute walk, we picked up the Shuttle Bus that took us directly to the beach. The Shuttle Bus is so convenient and close. The shuttle stop was the last one on our way to the beach, and the first one on our way back to the hotel. Couldn't have asked for a better set up. Parking was plentiful. The bathrooms were spotless. The breakfast was fine. We ate by 8 am and had no problem. We will definitely return to this hotel on our next trip to Rehoboth! If you're looking for a clean, comfortable, convenient, and reliable hotel, this is it!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
DawnHeck, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Rehoboth Beach, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Irs1963,
Thank you for sharing your experience about your recent stay with our hotel and our team members.
We truly value the comments our guests share with us and other fellow travelers. We wish you continued safe journeys and look forward to your next visit to our hotel.
Happy Autumn!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for three nights at the end of August. I was nervous about staying off of the main strip but it ended up working out really well - the hotel was clean and quiet with large rooms, pleasant staff and a nice pool. Breakfast is included, nice but I would have liked a few more "healthy/fresh" items. Very convenient is the hotels location to the Shuttle Bus - only $2.10 for an all day pass and it takes you right to the boardwalk (and other locations) which was so much easier than trying to find parking. We lucked out and never waited more than five minutes for a bus and it was barely ten minutes round trip. We used points for the first two nights and then paid for the third night which made it a very reasonable mini vacation - I do think it is a little steep otherwise.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
DawnHeck, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Rehoboth Beach, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear Jesscat32,
Thank you for writing a detailed review of your experience with our area and our property. As mentioned by you and many other of our hotel guests, the public shuttle buses located behind our property is such a huge hit with many travelers during our busy summer season.
With regard to your feelings about our breakfast foods, IHG personnel review many of the comments and suggestions our guests share. They do hear your voices and I believe you may see more 'healthier' food options in the near future.
We hope you continue to chose our hotel for your accommodation needs if your visit our area again.
Safe journeys!
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed one night in Aug during a family vacation. The room was very clean and ample for our needs. Our room faced the pool which while we did not use looked lovely and we did not experience any noise. The beds were very comfortable. My only complaint would be that we had a deluxe room and the sofa couch strangely enough did not open up into a bed although the room was meant to accomodate 6. We paired up on the Queen beds but having a couch that we could actually use would have been helpful. Staff was nice- premises kept pristine and breakfast in the morning was decent. I would recommend this facility without reservation..

Room Tip: Stay in the back facing the pool.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Jackie V,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience with our hotel and for mentioning the cleanliness of your room.
As you noted in your review, our love seats do not fold out to become an additional bed. Due to our buidling and fire codes, we are not permitted to have any more than 5 persons in our rooms to ensure the safety of our guests and unfortunately we do not have an suite room types at our location.
If you happen to visit our property again, (and we sincerely hope you do), please let the front desk know of your need for a rollaway bed (aka cot) and our team will be more than happy to deliver one to your room for a small nightly fee. Ensuring you are comfortable and afforded a good night's sleep is a priority for our Holiday Inn Express team members.
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your accommodation needs and we hope to see you soon.
Dawn Heck
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Exprss for one night. It was a very pleasant stay. The room was clean and the bed was extremely comfortable. The weather was a little chilly but we sat by the pool for a little while which was very relaxing. There is a bus you can pick up in the park and ride behind the hotel that takes you to the boardwalk for $1.00 each way...so no worries about trying to get a parking spot down near the beach. The hotel itself has plenty of parking. The front desk personnel were very nice and knowledgeable. All in all it was nice visit and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
DawnHeck, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Rehoboth Beach, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Dear Ann Marie D,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and other fellow travelers.
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and would visit with us during your next trip to our area.
Best Wishes,
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We have stopped at many Holiday Inn Express hotels and have found them to be excellent so it was unfortunate to pick one that bucks the trend. Our room was very damp and after the first night of having very little sleep and our two girls sleeping on towels to keep the cold damp sheets off them we were given a dehumidifier. The disappointing part of this was that they know this room suffers from a humidity issue...... Wonder if it's got something do to with it being opposite the hotel laundry room! A part from the maintenance man who was helpful the other staff were not particularly helpful. Pool area is good. The free breakfast is also good. Wouldn't recommend this place although don't write off all Holiday Inn Hotels.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Rathb,
We are sincerely sorry you were unhappy with your stay with us. We strive to offer all our guests the best stay possible. When you have a moment, would you contact me with regard to your disappointment with the service of some of our team members?
I'm sadden to read that your children slept on towels on the floor. We would never wish for any of our guests to sleep on the floor unless it is a matter of choice.
Due to the higher than normal rain fall this Summer, we have had higher than normal humidity levels at our resort town. I'm sorry any humidity was in your room.
Best Regards,
Marlborough, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Our stay was August 10 - 17. The location was good, close to beaches and restaurants. After a long ride we arrived at about 6pm, my husband used the Hotel’s public men's room and found it to be dirty. There were paper towels on the floor and the toilet was plugged. We checked in and were provided a room on the third floor. I entered the room and found it to be unclean. Carpets were not vacuumed and the bathroom floor was not clean, it had a lot of hair on it. As noted by another reviewer, the rooms were cleaned late in the day, and were not thoroughly cleaned; no vacuuming, no toilet cleaning, and a fingernail found in my bed sheets before I even used the bed. The next morning I went to the “fitness center”, or really a large closet which had three machines – treadmill, bike and an elliptical. The bike had a sign on stating it was broken and that parts were ordered. The elliptical didn’t appear to be working properly according to several people that came in to use it while I was there. The treadmill seems to be the most popular piece of equipment as each morning I was on it people came in to use it and left. They really need two treadmills. The whole upkeep of the fitness room seemed to be completely overlooked. If there was water in the cooler, there were no cups; if there were cups, there was not water in the cooler. Two days, there were no towels and no sanitary wipes to wipe the equipment down. There was a place for them; however, it was not filled until two days before I left. These were all reported to the front desk, and only when reported, were they acted upon. Breakfast lacked seating for the amount of people staying at the hotel and went until only 9:30, which likely contributed to the lack of seating. Being a vacation area, you would think it would run longer as to not rush people to get down and take advantage of the included breakfast. That being said, people were impatient and not friendly when you have one toaster with several people waiting in line to toast their bread. I did have the pleasant experience, however of speaking with Sam at the front desk who made sure there were towels in the fitness center when I requested them and a kind woman who worked the chaotic breakfast shift, employed at the hotel, who managed to find a banana for me, after breakfast was over. Due to so many people in the breakfast room it was impossible to make your way over to get a piece of fruit. Lastly, and most importantly, I had the unfortunate experience of having my iPod taken from my room. I use it each morning when I work out and used it on Tuesday. As is my routine, I got up to go work out early Wednesday morning and could not find my iPod where I left it each day. I went to the hotel front desk to let them know it was missing and wondered if the person who did take it, may have grown a conscience and turned it in. The man at the front desk took my name and room number. My husband received a phone call from Dawn, who turned out to be the GM asking if we had found it or if they should continue to look for it. It was pretty clear that she thought we misplaced it somewhere in the Hotel. My husband quickly made it clear to her that the iPod was not misplaced at all but was taken from the room on Tuesday. Dawn stated she would get the maintenance person and have him run a lock audit on our door to see who came and went. She also stated that she would have the housekeeping supervisor clean our room and she wanted to search the room to be sure we didn’t miss it while looking for it. I thought this was odd as it implied that we did not do a thorough job looking for it. It was clear to me where it was before it was taken and that it wasn’t there when I went to get it, someone had clearly taken it and the only one that should have been in the room would have been the housekeeper. My husband put the "do not disturb sign on the door" so housekeeping would not come in to clean the room that day, as we were feeling uneasy at this point about other valuables we had with us. By Friday I had no follow up on what action was taken around this issue. I called Dawn’s extension and left a message for her to call me back regarding resolving this. On our way out for the day Dawn was at the front desk at which point we introduced ourselves and stated we would like resolution to this issue. She said they would look in the room and get back to us. She never got back to me, but I was told by someone at the front desk, that Justin would get back to me. Because I never received a call back, I phoned Justin Friday evening as we were checking out Saturday morning. When he answered the call and I stated who I was and from what room he acted as if he knew nothing about the matter. I told him he knew what I was calling about at which point he stated he did and that there was nothing the Hotel was going to do about it as “it would be admitting fault”. It was very unprofessional for Dawn, who is stated to be the GM, to have passed the issue off to someone else, to then tell me that they were willing to call the police for me to file a report, but were not willing to do anything else. I understand that issues will occur in this type of business, that having employees with direct access to customer’s personal belongings will result in some issues. What I find completely unacceptable is the manner in which Hotel management handled the situation. For me to have to chase them and then have the issue handed to someone else to merely say they would be happy to facilitate having the police take a statement is reprehensible, particularly when I provided Dawn with my cell phone number to contact me. The rooms should have safes in them, lacking that be sure you leave nothing of value in your room. I believe the problem with this Hotel is poor management, not the property itself. For management to have this situation drag on a number of days over a $140 iPod, which I promptly went out on Wednesday and bought a replacement, when I spent over $1,800 for the week's stay is rather indicative of the "Poor Management" title. A better run Hotel would have made some effort to ask how they could resolve the matter and take some responsibility for the actions of their staff, even if not admitting guilt. I have had good experiences at other Holiday Inn Expresses, however I will not stay at this one again nor would I recommend it to anyone else.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
DawnHeck, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Rehoboth Beach, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear Jakee33,
You’ve accomplished what you told us you were set out to do; eviscerate me by creating a laundry list of issues which you’d fabricate unless I provided you $139.00 or a new iPod. I agree with you on one point, $139.00 created such bitterness within you that any sense of rational reasoning was void during any verbal discussions between your husband and me - only one of which were you present for.
You and your family left the hotel after the morning hours so any discussion between your husband and I only transpired on two separate mornings. It is not unreasonable to delegate a fellow manager, our Front Office Manager in this instance, to follow up with any guest(s) concerns after our day shift employees leave the property. I did receive your voicemail on my office extension yet since each of my discussions were with your husband I felt this was the best route of communication to continue with since he was aware of the full scope of our prior conversations.
I’ll add you did not need to "chase me down". You personally reached out to me and received a subsequent voicemail. I was available to you each day of your stay as I arrive at approximately 7:30a-8:00am and stay until around 5:30pm. Your husband made it clear we did not need to help you search as he searched your room and the iPod was not in the room. After our second discussion it became apparent that the only thing your husband was open to was an admission of guilt by our staff and reimbursement of your iPod by our company. Furthermore, if we did not comply, you threatened to "bash us on TripAdvisor" unless we gave you what you wanted.
It appears you created an account just for this stay’s purpose, indicating you’ve never previously considered taking a few moments to create an account and share any good experiences you had during your travels, which you stated were often with Holiday Inns, specifically. I hope you’ll take the time to highlight positive stays in the future using the same platform for which you stated you would “bash us” on. Furthermore, I’m disappointed you felt the need to use previous verbatim comments from other reviewers in an attempt to make your review appear more credible.
With regard to your continued accusations of our housekeeper, I’ll remind you a person is innocent until proven guilty. In an attempt to determine this, we did offer to call our local state police department to file a complaint and have them take your statement, etc. However, you refused to file this complaint with our local authorities, which doesn’t afford us the best means by which to assist with a resolution – even if that meant employee prosecution! We can only take this complaint as seriously as you would allow us the opportunity to do. You ultimately removed all remedies and protocols in place for us to deal with your concern as professionally and effectively as possible, and that is very unfortunate.
As a final note, you acknowledge staying at a hotel where you felt the staff were all thieves, the public restrooms a disgrace, the fitness room sorely lacking, breakfast subpar, room dirty, sheets filthy, and your list goes on. Yet you stayed with us for four days and the ONLY concern brought to the attention of our staff by your family was the iPod? If this review had the merit you claim it deserves, I’d be looking for quite a considerable amount more than $139.00 worth of compensation!
I wish you safe travels in the future.

Dawn Heck, GM

Been to Holiday Inn Express Rehoboth Beach? Share your experiences!