“Good hotel, poor location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #13 of 29 hotels in Rehoboth Beach
London, United Kingdom
“Good hotel, poor location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

There is nothing wrong with this hotel apart from the location. The hotel website and front desk staff will tell you it's 1 mile to the boardwalk, but google maps and my odometer say 2 miles is closer to the truth. Yes, it is located near the outlet malls, which is handy, but you will definitely need to drive or take the bus to the beach. Luckily, the bus stops very close to the hotel.

The walls are a bit thin, but most of the travellers seemed to be families with young children, so late night noise was not a problem. Our room was right next to the elevator, but there was no noise problem with that, either.

The hotel is very clean and the staff were helpful (except for repeating the lie about the distance to the beach). The pool is nice and was not particularly crowded, even in mid-August. The breakfast was satisfactory, though more hot and cold drink options (herbal teas, hot chocolate, apple or pineapple juice, would be appreciated). Free wi-fi was appreciated, though the speed was highly variable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
DawnHeck, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Rehoboth Beach, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Good day rbgs,

Thank you for contributing your thoughts about your visit to our area and your stay with our property.
I'm sorry you were disappointed with our location. And yes, you are correct. I, too, tested our distance to the beach/boardwalk and my odometer showed 1.4 miles. I appreciate you bringing this error to my attention. The staff was not lying to you, they were only providing information that is communicated to them via our management team during their initial training.
We hope you had a safe trip home to the UK and that you and your family throughly enjoyed your visit to the USA.
We wish you continued safe journeys!

189 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
North Bergen, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

This hotel is good. It's not amazing or above average. It's good. Clean rooms, as you would expect from Holiday Inn. However the location is Great. Its right outside the entrance to the Beach, its right beside and across from the outlets and if you don't want to pay the parking for a beach day, its in walking distance, like literally 150ft from the DART bus. The bus takes 6 minutes to get to the beach.
My only gripe was the bathroom, it was pretty and clean but the tub was so high that it was a pain to climb in and out. My boyfriend ended up hitting his shin trying to get out of it. He had a pretty big bruise, I was surprised.
Erin tried to accommodate my situation by trying to keep me in one room for the entire 3 night stay. She was unable but the thought meant a lot and I appreciated her efforts.

I often stay there for work, but this past weekend was for pleasure. It was great overall.

Room Tip: They offer very good rates, so make sure to ask if they have one for whoever you work for. Also avoi...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
DawnHeck, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Rehoboth Beach, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Good day Ms. Rachel D!

Thank you for sharing your experience as a guest with our property and fellow TA travelers.
I'm sorry to read about your husband bumping his shin getting out of the tub in your room.
Currently, our tubs are standard height from their base to their ledge, but I would like to mention that during our next major renovation (which is just a few years away), we will be replacing our tubs and bringing all rooms up to the new IHG brand standard, which will include tiled bathtubs/showers. With the assistance of traveler review sites, IHG brand surveys, property level guest feedback, our brand takes our guests suggestions and ideas very seriously and implements doable changes to our product and services.
Thank you for providing your feedback and contributing your thoughts of our product and service.
Best Regards, Rachel D
Warrenton, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

We had a wonderful experience at this Hotel. First we were able to check in Early. If you have children we had 4 children and we had a deluxe with 2queen beds, with a roll away and it was a great room. But another great thing was the breakfast hostess SANDI..She told us about Lewes beach for the kids with less waves and so quiet. That was perfect. We will stay at this hotel everytime we come down to Rehoboth Beach.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Good day Danielle I!
We love to receive reviews that give detail from the eyes of our guests with regards to what they enjoyed the most and what items are important to you.
Our deluxe rooms are the most popular for families of 4 our more. They're oversized and, with the loveseat and activity table/chairs, it provides that additional seating for meals, playing games, etc.
Thank you for placing a spot-light on Sandi, one of our valued breakfast bar attendants. She has been with our location for several years, and very engaging. She is truly worth her weight in gold.
How wonderful it was to read that you will choose to stay with us again during your next visit to our area. We humbly thank you.
Safe journeys to you and yours, Danielle!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

We recently spent a long weekend at this hotel. The front desk staff was very helpful during our stay, especially Sam. She helped us with restaurant recommendations and even offered to call the restaurant for directions. The bus to the beach is located right behind the property so you do not have to worry about driving to the boardwalk and beach. This is the way to go because traffic and parking are horrible! Complimentary breakfast was good and the lady working this area was very attentive.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
DawnHeck, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Rehoboth Beach, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Dear Brett 1208,

We certainly appreciate you choosing our location for your accommodation needs during your visit to Rehoboth Beach.
I always share each of our reviews with all of our Holiday Inn Express team members. Any surveys completed for our property provides us an opportunity to extend kudos to team members, provide a conversation of our service through the eyes of you, our guest, and offers us the ability to consider other ideas for aiding us in achieving our ultimate goal - 100% satisfaction for all our guests.
Definitely Sam's love of people shines through in her interaction with every one she meets. I thank you, on her behalf, for the compliments. As I'm typing this, I can actually visualize the big humble grin on her face when I share your review with her.
Also, thank you so very much for acknowledging the great service our breakfast attendants provided. They truly do have a big responsibility of servicing our guests breakfast needs and, in the summer, this can sometimes be challenging in a breakfast bar area that was originally constructed for a 'continental breakfast' years ago. With the hot breakfast buffet, this offers our guests an opportunity to sit longer, enjoy a full breakfast and best of all, offers our breakfast bar team an opportunity to meet and get to know our guests.
We do hope you have the opportunity to visit are area again and consider us your hotel of choice for any future accommodation needs.
Safe journeys!
Dawn
Monroe, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

We spent 3 nights at this hotel. We found it perfectly located just a mile from the beach. The desk receptionists were all helpful and very cordial. Our only complaint here is that we're Priority Members and upon arrival, the gentleman clerk handed my husband one bottle of water (with two of us checking in), whereas when we've been to HIA in Atlantic City, we were given a "goody bag" of 2 bottles of water, 1 bag of potato chips, and a package of Oreos. The rooms were spacious and clean but I found the hotel towels needed fabric softener badly. The pool was well kept and immaculate. Complimentary breakfast was status quo.

• Stayed July 2012
DawnHeck, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Rehoboth Beach, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Dear Izykat,
We truly appreciate you taking a moment to share your experience with our Holiday Inn Express Team and with other fellow travelers.
Thank you for being a member of the IHG loyalty program, Priority Club. Each property is permitted to decide on and to provide any form of appreciation items as our way of 'thanking you"' for being Priority Club member(s).
Try as we may, during the summer season, with approximately 250 - 350 persons within the hotel and, on average, 80% are members of this great program, we try to have plenty of appreciation items on hand. Unfortunately there are times when we run short of these items. I apologize that we did not offer or have on hand additional gifts for you and your husband.
I also would like to recommend that when you receive your post-stay IHG survey of your stay with our property, that when you reach the section referencing the hot breakfast, you provide any feedback with what you feel would raise the level from 'status quo'. We are only permitted to provide what the brand dictates and we both like to hear the opinions of our guests to provide you with a great experience during your visits with our brand.
Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your visit to our area and we hope you continue to allow us to be your hotel of choice on any future visits.
Safe travels!
New Bremen, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

As a mother of 3 boys, I am very particular of bathroom odors. The HI Express,Rehoboth Beach bathroom odor (mildew smell from the shower curtain) was quite challenging to ignore. The hotel was off the main highway a distance (as in not on the main drag). However, the way the sound, (of the vehicles) traveled, you would have thought the highway was directly outside your window. I am a solid sleeper, who typically can sleep through a major rain storm, but even I couldn't sleep through THAT road noise! I had always felt mediocre about Holiday Inn hotels, after this experience, Holiday Inn hotels have completely been crossed off my list.

Room Tip: I would suggest pool side, being that is not where are room was located.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Rehoboth Beach, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Dear Angela H,

Thank you for taking time to write your feedback. I am glad you found room accommodations and staff service satisfactory. I want to assure you we work very hard to ensure our facilities are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn Express around. Please accept my sincerest apology for falling short of your expectations on this day, especially with the bathroom facilities.

Again, I do apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to ask the Manager on Duty.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Dallas, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Decent hotel off the main road and close to one of the entrances to the beach. My only complaint is nothing to grab onto when entering the shower and my son ended up falling and bruising his knee. I almost fell as well.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Rehoboth Beach, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Dear Five_Aces_Tx,

I am sincerely sorry to learn that your son slipped in one of our tubs and suffered a bruised knee. Unfortunately, you are correct, the only rooms within our hotel with grab bars are our handicap accessible rooms.
I have documented your concern and will definitely bring this to the table when our management team works on the full details for our 2012 - 2013 capital improvement plans.
I truly with to thank you for bringing your concern to our attention and please rest-assured, your concern will not be swept under a rug.
We do hope you and your family are able to revisit Rehoboth Beach and decide to stay with our property once again.
Dawn Heck

Been to Holiday Inn Express Rehoboth Beach? Share your experiences!