“Beautiful Beaches in Delaware” 4 of 5 stars

Type: Beaches, State Parks
Activities: Hiking
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: From fishing and boating to surfing and sail boarding, this six-mile stretch of coastline boasts a wide variety of outdoor recreation for people of all ages.
Dover, Delaware
15 attraction reviews
“Beautiful Beaches in Delaware”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

The Delaware Seashore State Park is spectacular. A great way to spend the day with family or a nice place to share with folks who may be visiting you or the state. The waves are a bit rough but the sand is lovely and the beach never seems to be very crowded. I'm not crazy that folks can actually drive their vehicles on the beach and take their dogs but I have never been bothered by either.

Visited October 2012

Shermans Dale, Pennsylvania
10 attraction reviews
“Basic Beach Campground-Good Value!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The campground at the Indian River Inlet is part of the Delaware Seashore State Park. All of the RV spaces are pull-throughs but rather tight for anything over 42 feet. Our coach touched the roadway both front and behind. Since most of the campers on the week before Labor Day 2013 were large trailers or 5th wheels, all owners were aware of the tight space and there was no yelling as vehicles came and went.
The water pressure is a little on the low side when everyone is showering morning and after returning from the beach. Taste is good.
Electrical service at our site was fairly close to an actual 50amp 240 service. Only when everyone was cooking did voltage drop a bit although our circuit breaker got a little hot.
Restrooms inspected on a busy Saturday morning were clean although you'll never get all the sand out of indoor facilities. Basically, this facility is built on a sandbar; you can walk from ocean to bay in about 15 minutes.
The ocean is about 500 yards from the campground and the beach boasts a new dressing room, restroom and snack bar. Life guards keep swimmers under watch. The surf is better here than up the road at Rehoboth Beach and fishing appears good along the inlet channel.
The campground has spaces for tents with electric and water and there is a huge playground for the kiddies.
Trash is picked up often and the dumpsters were never full.
As the campground appears for be only a foot or so above high tide, rains can make some RV locations very wet with slow drainage.
Other than the playground, there are no amenities such as cable or WiFi. You are there for the ocean and/or fishing. Headboats for ocean fishing can be found on the north side of the inlet along with a new dockside restaurant.
The second best thing about the campground is the price: about half what is charged seven miles north in Rehoboth Beach or a few miles south at Fenwick Island. Because of that reservations waaay in advance are mandatory during the summer season.
The main attraction here is the brand new spectacular suspension bridge over the inlet. It attracts photographers by the score and the nighttime appearance is nothing less than dazzling with deep blue lighting of the cables and towers.

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Delaware Seashore State Park Campground Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

First and foremost this is a review of the Campground and Beach. I've seen many negative reviews on this and other sites and they are misleading. You must remember you are camping on the beach essentially. No there are no trees and very little if any shade. Know that going in. The facilities were very nice, clean and operational. You have to push a button to turn the shower on and it only stays on so long but I would rather this than pay showers. Were some campers inconsiderate? Yes of course, you will get that anywhere but on the whole there were few problems. The highway and bridge close by was not a problem. In fact there was an accident the first night of our visit on the bridge and I didn’t know about it till I woke up on my own and saw flashing lights. The Bridge is quite stunning at night with the lights on and a very unique backdrop! The Staff was very friendly and the gentleman working the camp store was a hoot! The tent sites were close together so I recommend you get a site on the main road like we did and you have plenty of room. An unfortunate storm damaged our tent to the point we could not sleep in it on our second day (what would have been our third night). Other campers were affected by the intense storm and we all just laughed and sorted the broken from the good packed up and headed out. I would recommend this campground and would go back again.

Visited August 2013
“Beautiful beach, not overcrowded. We enjoyed it.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

We took our children, 1,2 &4 and they had a great time! We stayed st the campground so we did not have to pay the $8 parking fee. The snack bar is overpriced, the bathroom isn't the cleanest but it serves it purpose. They would need someone there full time cleaning non stop to keep it clean as it is always full. The beach is beautiful, very clean. Umbrella rentals are $12/day... we could have bought one for $25 at a store but oh well! Nice sized beach, not overcrowded. Finding a parking spot was never a problem. The dune is a mountain... the husband had a heck of a time getting the wagon and all of our stuff over it! They also have a boardwalk from the parking lot to the sand... go that route if you don't want a workout! We really enjoyed this beach, can't really complain about any of it! Beautiful!

West Grove, Pennsylvania
4 attraction reviews
“Messy Facilities and a Steep Beach”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I guess it is a nice beach for transient visitors and "Day Hops", like ourselves. We paid $8 to park. The bath houses are included. The MONSTER dune was a bear to get our beach cart up and over! Almost silly it is so high! The beach itself was very clean and broad enough to comfortably accommodate the Thursday crowd.
My wife did not like the sand. It was very "grainy". This was our first time to a Delaware beach. We are used to the beaches in New Jersey, most of which have a fine, powdery "sugar sand". I suggested it might be "beach replenishment sand", in the wake of "Superstorm Sandy", last fall? Sand is what it is. MY major beef is the steepness of the beach where it enters the water. The waves break right AT the water line! WHAM! No rollers, or breakers, like in N.J. You would get your belly "skinned" if you tried to body-surf, one of my favorite activities. Again, maybe Sandy altered the "fall-off" too? I mean, people just a few feet off shore were in water over their heads! If I had little kids I would DEFINITELY be afraid of letting them go in alone, OR without floatation devices, like "water-wings"! It has "Rip Current" written all over it!
When it came time to clean up, we found the "modern bath houses" unacceptably dirty and "slopped up", and we are veteran campers! One shower stall actually had a soggy, water logged "boat" of French Fries and ketchup on the bench! There was wet clothing in one shower stall! ("Soiled"?) WOOF! My wife wanted NOTHING to do with the ladies facilities either, choosing ONLY to use the toilet. We both chose to simply change in the back of our Van, the way we sometimes do on day trips.
By 3:30 the snack bar was pretty rough looking too! I wouldn't eat the food. We bought 2 sodas from a vending machine.
I seriously doubt we will ever go back!