“The good, the bad, and the ugly.” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Center Valley, Pennsylvania, United States
“The good, the bad, and the ugly.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

The food was good. I asked for lobster roll salad on a bed of greens and I was pleasantly surprised by the size and presentation of my meal. Simple greens turned into a lovely salad with a tangy vinaigrette that was a perfect accompaniment to the lobster salad. Unfortunately, the house punch that I ordered tasted like spiked OJ and I didn't even finish it.

The service was less than stellar. I'm going to call it bad. Wait staff was not very attentive and the hostess rudely interrupted us to remove plates almost mid-fork full. In their defense, the establishment was packed at 8pm on a Tuesday night. Still, I had higher expectations than what we experienced.

The atmosphere is ugly. The dining space is a large open area and, at capacity seating, we could barely hear each other across the table. Additionally, the seating is quite cramped. I do not recommend this restaurant for a romantic couples dinner.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“One of the best meals I've ever had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I got the fried oysters over mashed sweet potatoes with the caramel and bacon sauce, with Brussels sprouts. It was so good - I almost licked the plate. The wine selection was not great, but that's OK because the food more than made up for it. Definitely go to this restaurant!

Visited May 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
“Incredible Meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Before our recent weekend in Rehoboth, I started researching restaurants to find a nice place for dinner on Saturday evening. I came across reviews for Helopen City Oyster House but was hesitant to try it because I saw they don't take reservations. We decided to take a chance and go for an early dinner. We got there a few minutes before 5. They had happy hour going on at the bar & started seating for dinner at 5. WIthin a few minutes, the entire restaurant was full!

The hostess originally put us in a small corner with a few tables by the bar but it was so loud because of happy hour that we couldn't hear ourselves so we asked to be switched. We moved to the main dining room which was better. It's still a loud restaurant but we could carry on a conversation.

I had high expectations for the food based on the reviews and the crowd, shockingly enough, the food exceeded my expectations! My husband got the fried oysters which were excellent. But, the star of the show was my meal, the fried scallops with bacon caramel sauce (!) and mashed sweet potatoes. It also comes with spicy brussel sprouts but I substituted asparagus. This dish was absolutely incredible! I gave several bites to my husband and he was impressed as well.

Despite how busy the dining room was, our waitress was efficient and attentive. The service we received was excellent.

We will be returning here on our next trip to Rehoboth without a doubt!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Rockville,Maryland
“One of the best at the beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Lots of fund great atmosphere.Fabulous oysters great service.you can bring the kids.I always look forward to going to Henlopen Oyster Company when I am in Rehoboth slong with Big Fish.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bernardsville, New Jersey
“Awesome happy hour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

First time in Rehoboth. A friend recommended that we come here because we love oysters. We went for happy hour and got a dozen oysters for $14. They were incredible along with the steamed clams and steamed shrimp. Go early and sit at the bar . Jamie was our bartender and was awesome. We will go back tomorrow for dinner.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere