“Did not disappoint” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Did not disappoint”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We were told that if we were looking for seafood, we should walk just up the street from out hotel to the Henlopen City Oyster House for what we were told would be the best oysters in the city. My daughter was certainly happy with her oyster sampler appetizer, 8 different kinds, for $16. My escargot salad appetizer was well done, and very nicely presented. We'd hoped to try the rack of elk, but got there toward the end of dinner service, and they'd run out. My daughter "settled" for the delicious pomegranate tuna, while I had a savory bouillabaisse. Their drinks menu impressed, and I tried an Allspice Daiquiri that was definitely worth coming back for. Dessert was a huckleberry bread pudding served warm with ice-cream. All in all, this was a great experience at an upscale restaurant serving expensive, but very fresh and tasty cuisine.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Fairfax
“**D E L I S H**”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Friday evening happy hour!

Wow what a treat. My wife and I stopped into Henlopen City Oyster House on a April Friday evening to check it out. The atmosphere is bustling, fun, and very friendly. We had two very good draft India Pale Ales at the bar and then had two different craft brew bottles of IPA from the large bar list. The bar staff was very friendly and we watched the raw bar crew shuck quite few oysters. We had such a fun time looking at the great deconstructed semi industrial interior design we decided to stop in for dinner on Saturday night.

Saturday dinner success.
We came back Saturday night and waited for about 20 minutes in the bar for our two topper to open up. A nice high table opened up in the bar so we decided to have dinner in the lounge. It was tops all around. My wife ordered a succulent fried scallop with mashed sweet potatoes and I ordered the rib eye and mushroom steak. Both meals were cooked perfectly and we shared scallops for steak! We had a great white blanc wine and totally enjoyed our second visit to Henlopen City Oyster House.

The restaurant is not large, gets crowded, and can be boisterous - but totally worth it. We are definitely going back for our annual Cinco de Mayo Rehoboth Beach weekend getaway.

Henlopen City Oyster House is a hit and we highly recommend if you are in town!

Bon Appetite

• Visited April 2013
Lewes
“Quickly becoming my favorite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We have lived in Lewes now for 15 years, but I still cannot get used to the fact that I have to wait for a table in the off season! Boy have things changed. Of course we arrived right at 7:00 pm which apparently is NOT the time to come :). We are so fortunate to have many fine restaurants in the Rehoboth/Lewes area, but I think this is now my favorite. For those who love craft brews as I do, this place is hard to beat.
As I already said, we arrived at 7:00 and were told we would have a 90 minute wait. After considering our optons we chose to stay and sample some of the lovely specialities of the bar. The bar area was quite crowded, but after about 20 minutes we found some seats. Because of our fantastic conversation, I have no idea how long the wait truly was. But, I was into my second beverage (though I tend to be a bit quick with the drinking). The men ordered a dozen oysters from various locations and though neither are conniseurs of this particular bivalve, they were both surprised at how wonderful they were. We also had a cheese board, also fantastic. I had red snapper that was just fabulous and our fourth has the seared scallops. The server's knowledge was amazing. She had extensive knowledge of everything on the menu as well as the wine list.
Lastly we treated ourselves to dessert. This is not a place you want to miss dessert. We split the key lime pie and some chocolate brownie decadence (not the name but you get the picture). My husband is what you may call chocolate-obsessed. We each had a bite of the key lime pie, which was again amazing. But, the chocolate decadence was pure heaven. I am fairly certain my husband was in ecstasy.

I am looking forward to taking my aunt who is a gourmet chef to this restaurant to show her what Rehoboth has to offer. I am certain that she will enjoy this place as much as we did!

• Visited March 2013
Suffolk, Virginia
“"This restaurant is like finding a pearl in an oyster"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Where to begin............Seafood...Happy Hour...Tina...Ambiance. My wife and I research via Google whenever we travel for the best lodging and dinner venues...call it a habit, but it surely pays off most times. After reading about this seafood meca on line, we just had to see what all the rave was about in Rehobeth Beach. By far, one of the top 2 restaurants in this little town. Seafood is fresh and skillfully prepared and presented. First a delight to the senses and finally, a delight to the wallet. Tina is the main bar tender and a just a sweetheart of a woman. Very knowledgable and very attentive with her customers. Happy hour is amazing and fun. Oysters are cold & tasty with a hint of ocean saltiness. Steamed shrimp are large and perfectly done with pickeling spice and some magic to produce wonderful flavor and aroma. Friendly, comfortable atmosphere with very fine food, beverage and great people enjoying life. Don't miss this one!!

• Visited March 2013
Brooklyn
“Our Favorite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

This is my favorite place in Rehoboth Beach for dining out. The wait can be long. We go to Rehoboth Beach every for Summer. We're spoiled Brooklynite foodies and we come to Rehoboth Beach because of the exceptional dining experiences available amongst other great qualities. We've never had a thing we didn't like on the menu. HCOH is casual and at the same time upscale. I wish I were there now but nooo....I'm planning for the upcoming Summer and thought I would post a couple of reviews while I'm on the site to give back.

We have a young child and this is not her favorite place. She likes another place better. The staff here has always been kind and accommodating with us and her but I think the other place gives a frisbee, crayons and drawing material. Children can be manipulated with plastic! I have at least 5 of those frisbees.

I am so looking forward to the Summer and returning here.

• Visited August 2012