“Hot lunch on a cold day...hit the spot” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Doing business, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
MD
“Hot lunch on a cold day...hit the spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We had dinner here in the busy summer season and were happy to find the restaurant open for lunch during the fall. It was very quiet when we arrived just after noon. Our server was friendly and attentive.

I really wanted the crabcake but didn't see it on the menu. I didn't inquire about it, only because on a cold day the crawfish gumbo caught my attention. It was a generous portion with 2 fried shrimp topping the mound of rice, bite sized pieces of crawfish and sausages were in the sauce, which was not overly spiced. I added some Old Bay and hot sauce which was already on the table.

My husband ordered the clam chowder and a shrimp po boy. The chowder was loaded with flavor and clams, ham and potatoes. The po boy was huge with plump fried shrimp. The sandwich came with shoe string fries.

Even if you're not ordering oysters here, the rest of the seafood is fresh and well prepared.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
“Not Perfect but Really Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I'll admit that it's noisy and a little pricey, but the scallops with caramel bacon sauce are just unbelievably good.

Visited May 2012
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Going downhill?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We had dinner here with another couple in early September. I had titled my last review of Henlopen City as the best restaurant in Rehoboth Beach. That staement no longer is accurate, sad to say. The meals we ate in early September were good, not great, and the service was horrific (including our server bringing a cup of a missing ingredient in a salad, as opposed to taking the plate back to the kitchen for addition of the ingredient there).

Hopefully, this situation was a relatively unusual one, but the inconsistency is unforgiveable and lowers the average of the restaurant from the category of "best".I suggest that management correct such shortcomings.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Lancaster County
“First visit but not the last”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Saw this restaurant the night before but it was so crowded we did not even attempt a visit. The following evening we were looking for a restaurant open in a beach community on a Monday night in the off-season. WOW!!!

Three things made the evening memorable. First, we ate, and drank, at the bar and the bartender, Jamie, was outstanding. He was technically talented (awesome Manhattan) but his ability to be friendly while not in-you-face was most appreciated.

Second, their seafood selection was awesome. We had their Pot Luck which consisted of oysters, mussels, shrimp, potatoes, brussel spouts, sausage, etc. This was plenty of food for two people (we also shared an appetizer of clams).

Third, I usually do not expect to find any hidden wine treasures at beach restaurants but... They have an innovative, but small, list. We were delighted.

I can say nothing bad about this restaurant apart from the fact that they are 3 hours from my home.

Visited October 2012
West Grove, PA
“Wonderful lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Stopped in on a Sunday afternoon for lunch. Prompt and friendly greeting on arrival. Started with clam strips appetizer ($7). Best clam strips I've ever eaten - my husband agreed with that as well. Breading on the clam strips was so crisp and tasty. They tasted freshly breaded, not like the normal frozen fried ones most restaurants serve. My husband had the fish of the day, mahi mahi, as a blackened sandwich ($13). It was good. I had the crab cake sandwich and fries ($14). Also good. The sandwiches were not great but definitely good. Kid had calamari appetizer as the meal and that was very good.

Overall I would definitely recommend this place.

• Visited October 2012