“Wonderful,couldn't get a seat the second day” 5 of 5 stars

Update restaurant details
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Iselin, New Jersey, United States
“Wonderful,couldn't get a seat the second day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

I go especially for the wonderful lobster roll and oyster stew. The oyster specials at happy hour r a great deal but I do like fins happy hour better,but I like henlopen better for dinner and I LOVE oyster stew and I used to love it at FINS but I like the stew at henlopen better. We wanted to go here 2 days in a row, that's how much we like it and we couldn't get in , the wait was 1-1 1/2 hours for 2 people,and that was in sept after labor day! Definitely go but go early or be prepared to wait.

Visited September 2012

91% Recommend
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
“Second visit by a local”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Great restaurant. Food wonderful, atmosphere fun, great bartender. A bit noisy but adds to the festivity. Seafood is soooooo fresh

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
eastern PA
“Oops, we can't stay away. Great place, fun atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

We visit Rehoboth beach every year and every year we like to try different restaurants. We use tripadvisor as a way to weed out bad restaurants. On our relentless pursuit to find a happy hour that we would like, we buckled down and said, well we know Henlopen has a happy hour and it starts at 3pm. We had an out of town visiter with us, so I really wanted to impress her with an enjoyable night. I was a little concerned at first because the bar area was PACKED!!! But that just goes to show the place is doing something right. We stood and tried not to let the idea that we couldn't sit bother us. As we got our first round of drinks (oyster punches...quality drink for the price) and our children were given their sodas (it truly is a treat for them as we never buy soda) everybody started chatting and we got more comfortable with the place. Eventually, I began to pay attention to who was leaving and two parties were so nice and made sure that when they got up that we would get the seating. We were planning on going elsewhere (another place that had nobody there) and were thankful to know that as seating became available for us in this packed place that now we could enjoy their happy hour food as there would be a table to put it on. The children got their clams and steamed shrimp, so simple and so amazing. My youngest got the clam chowder and ate the WHOLE bowl and it was not small. I had a little and it was outstanding, with just the right amount of smokey flavor. I got shrimp and pulled pork sliders, others got hamburger sliders. Everybody was laughing, the children were smiling we had such a wonderful time. We are very happy we visited the Oyster house again and decided to stay to eat. Great experience AGAIN!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Office
“What a great evening!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

The Henlopen Oyster House is by far my new, "Best Seafood Restaurant at the Beach". What a great find. We were vacationing in Rehoboth Beach and heard about this very fine restaurant from a friend who had found it the night before. One block off of Rehoboth Ave, on Wilmington Ave is well worth the trip. The three of us had a dozen Oysters from different parts and shared the experience. Needless to say a little different taste from each batch but they were all excellent. Since the Oysters were quite filling we decided to stick with apps and ordered the Clam Strips and the Tuna Tartar. WOW on both accounts they were a home run. The Bar had a nice selection of regional draft beers to choose from and the wine selection was quite extensive. The service was outstanding and it is true you might have to wait for a table but of you don't mind sitting in the Bar area you can usually find something with in a few minutes. All in all this is a great find for Rehoboth Beach.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Wyckoff, NJ
“Service was tops! Food a very close second...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Our family of six adults and a toddler recently enjoyed dinner here. When the wait was 45 min to an hour, I didn't think that my little guy could wait that long in the small crowded area around the hostess table. I told my husband that we probably would have to go elsewhere. The hostess heard the exchange and within minutes, had two tables that were not being used put together for us in order to seat us more quickly. That in itself was so appreciated. Then Katie, our server, arrived. What a gem! Completely knowledgable on every drink and every menu item. The place was extremelely crowded and she was very busy but she took a lot of time with us and did it with a wonderful sense of humor and charm. If this all wasn't enough, the food was wonderful-fresh and deleicious from start to finish. We will definitely be back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere