“Very good restaurant, but can improve on a few things.” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Lewes, Delaware
“Very good restaurant, but can improve on a few things.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

Henlopen City Oyster House is located on Wilmington Ave, two blocks off the Rehoboth Beach Boardwalk. While our overall experience was very good, there are a few detailed things that keep this from being an excellent restaurant. The blueberry feta pecan salad , herb brushed rockfish, and clams casino were outstanding. However, the crab corn chowder was tasteless. The soup was returned and replaced with clam chowder that was very good. The dinning area was open with a high ceiling, but inadequate lighting made it too dark. One of the bulbs in the track lighting was burned out and didn't help things out. Our table was located in the back corner of the dinning area. Two empy beer kegs were stored right next to our table. The Henlopen CIty Oyster House has very good food, but needs to make a few improvements to become excellent.

• Visited July 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Wilmington, Delaware
“A Great Find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

Though fairly new to Rehoboth, it has already garnered much attention amongst the locals. This was my first time at the Oyster House and I wasn't looking to spend too much so I ordered peel and eat shrimp as the appetizer and a lobster roll as my entree. The shrimp must have been flash frozen or something because it was the freshest tasting shrimp I have ever had. A perfect texture and consistency. I had just vacationed in Maine and had some wonderful lobster there but this lobster roll was just as good! It was a very light mayonnaise mix and the bread kept true to its Maine roots. The service was lovely, the prices were decent, and the atmosphere upbeat and fun. Will definitely go back!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Berwyn, Pennsylvania
“We have been here many times and it is always perfect!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

I love oysters and have to compliment the shucker at this restaurant. We go here often, always have oysters, and I have never had as much as a hint of shell in the oysters. The guy could have been a surgeon. My wife loves the steamed middlenecks.

They have a great happy hour with amazing prices on a featured beer, wine, as well as the raw/steamed bar.

Though always busy, like everywhere in town that is good, they do wonders accommodating everyone. We once went there with our three boys and they told us it would be an hours wait. After 5 minutes, they had offered a free drink to a couple to move over one table so they could seat us!

When just my wife and I are dining, the service has been friendly, efficient, yet discreet enough for a romantic dinner. The mains are incredible. Everything is fresh and creatively prepared, however, if you want something simply grilled, that is also an option.

They have a great selection of craft beer and very good wine at reasonable prices.

This is a really fine restaurant. We are going back this weekend and I am getting hungry writing this!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Nashville, Tennessee
“The BEST meal I have ever experienced at a restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

I am literally still thinking about this meal....SOOOOO GOOD!!!! There is no way words can do our meal justice, but let me just say that EVERYTHING we had was unbelievable. The oysters (YUM), ceasar salad (unique flavor) and clam chowder (mmmm...) were delicious, but nothing and I mean NOTHING compares to the entrees we got. The lobster mac n' cheese - HOLY $#*%!!! No words. And the fried scallops with a bacon and caramel sauce - OH. MY. GRAVY. Go there!! If you have to wait an hour and a half for a seat - DO IT!!! BTW, the ambiance is cool - not kitchy like some self-proclaimed seafood restaurants (especially in beach towns) and the service was perfect. GO, GO, GO!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Baltimore, Maryland
“Excellent seafood and great service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

After reading some favorable reviews on TA for Henlopen City Oyster House, we decided to hit it up during a weekend trip to Rehoboth. I was impressed by the quality and selection of Oysters they were offering. Our server was quite knowledgeable about the different oyster types and he helped us pick out three to try in a sampler dozen. They were all very fresh, clean and great tasting.

For dinner, we split the Rockfish with mac n' cheese and asparagus as the sides. It was hands down the best Rockfish I have ever had. Perfectly grilled and really flavorful. The asparagus and mac n' cheese were also great. If you request it, your server will bring you some pretty good tasting bread as well.

The couple next to us got the crab dip and it looked amazing. They later told us that it was in fact amazing and offerred up some other suggestions to try in the area. They wanted to know if we liked the dessert we ordered, and it was awesome. It was some type of brownie with cookie dough served a la mode.

Great dining experience at Henlopen and I would absolutely recommend that people make this one of their stops in Rehoboth.

I would definitely recommend this restaurant.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere