“New find in Rehoboth Beach for lunch” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Connecticut
“New find in Rehoboth Beach for lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Our first time at Cafe Azafran for lunch and it was a pleasant surprise. The menu was varied and not your usual beach fare. I had the Roasted Ratatouille, Spanish style and my wife had the Cafe Panini, with Spanish Serrano ham and olive tapenade. Both dishes were fresh and enjoyable. Service was nicely paced and dessert was delicious. Would recommend for a leisurely afternoon meal.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
“Just when I thought Rehoboth food couldn't get any better...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We found this gem in the off season, and found the meal, the service and the atmosphere to all be top notch. I sampled the vegetarian plate and the flavors were lovely and varied. A fun place to dine and don't be surprised to spot a few celebrities in the crowd. The barista makes a super fine Espresso, too.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“My new favorite place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I've followed my own rule to eat in a place at least three times before reviewing it and I'm happy to say that Cafe Azafran is terrific on all counts. Go for the food. Go for the atmosphere. Go for the Tapas. Go for the Thursday night steak and singing bartender show. But by all means - go.

And if you like salad - go for the Beet Salad! Awesome awesome awesome. The last few times that I've eat there with friends, we've shared the salad to start and then had a few small dishes. The meals are certainly reasonable price-wise and worth every bite. I haven't had anything that isn't truly well-made. They obviously have great line cooks as well as a very thoughtful chef.

The bartender is great. She's friendly and personable and makes a single diner feel very welcome. And if you can get there for her show on Thursdays, you'll have a blast.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Alexandria, Virginia
“Tapas carefully made, yummy selections”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Wish we could have ordered more entrees between the 2 of us. The shrimp entrees, olive salad, eggplant and humus all stand out.

Visited June 2013
MetroWest Boston
“To tapas or not to tapas - how about both.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Our family enjoyed a delightful meal at Cafe Azafran recently. First thing I would suggest making a reservation....as better to be safe than sorry. Also before you do, check on line or call to ask about the specials at both the Rehoboth and Lewes location as they are different...more about that later.

First about the atmosphere. We dined in the front room by the windows. There are banquet seating around the exterior wall and wooden tables. As there tables are not "dressed" with a table cloth, the room felt casual but cozy with low lighting. The artwork was modern and cheery. The room was set up for a musician to perform, but we were there on the early side and missed the entertainment. I am not sure how conversation would go unless the background music was low, but as I said, we missed that. While we were there the background music was Michael Buble which suited the evening well.

We were there as a family, but my son is an adult. I did not see any children and I do not think it is the appropriate place for small children unless they are very well behaved.

Our party of three began with aperitifs. I had a Kir Royale - $8 (Creme de Cassis and champagne), my husband has a Kir - $7.5 (Creme de Casses and white wine) and my son had a Midas Touch (handcrafted ancient ale) $5 by Dogfish. We all enjoyed our beverages however the one knock on the evening is that the food was brought to the table before we were barely half way through our drinks. (Full disclosure- we lived in Belgium for two years, where dining is an event not to be rushed..so if you are not looking to linger over your beverage, you will find the service perfect.)

My husband ordered the Special of the evening, which was Petite Filet MIgnon. It was priced $20 or $25 with a glass of wine. He ordered it on the medium side of medium rare and it came out perfectly. In addition, it was served with delicious herbed mashed potatoes, roasted asparagus and fantastic assorted mushrooms.

I ordered Seafood Tarrangona $29 which is a bouillabaisse and had scallops, shrimp, clams, fish etc served in a lovely broth. As I was sad that I missed the Paella special the night before, the chef agreed to serve some rice on the side and flavor the soup in the fashion of Paella. (The Paella special was at Lewes the night we were in Rehoboth...so check first if you are looking for something particular.) Back to the Seafood Tarrangona..... it was quite good and plentiful. My son ordered two tapas with one being excellent and the other good. The beef sliders $14 were delicious and very tender. The pork ribs $13 were also good, but the sliders were better.

We were stuffed after this and did not enjoy any desserts or coffee, but I was tempted by the flan.

In review, the restaurant has a nice atmosphere, very good food and good service..but given our evening it could have been at a more leisurely pace. The chef was willing to work with special requests which I appreciated. Give this little gem a try and take a stroll on the boardwalk afterwards. Bon Appetit.

• Visited June 2013