“Well Pleased” 4 of 5 stars

302-260-9615
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Barbecue, Hamburgers, Bar, Grill
Good for: Families with children, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Description: 302-260-9615
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
“Well Pleased”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

We went to the restaurant because it's near, it newly opened and we were tired of the fast food ripoffs, the same old same olds and the overly priced restaurants with air-head waitresses. So...we went not knowing anything of them or their prior existence.
We seated ourselves, were promptly greeted and attended. The waiter was very nice. We looked at the wide selection and made our choices. I had the flat iron steak and my partner had the pulled pork platter. You choose teo sides, The only comment I have with the sides is...99% starches. The veg of the day was asparagus and corn in season....and it''s not the right season.
The corn bread was a square pc each...same as you get at the other local rip-off BBQ joint that charges you to sit in their restaurant if some no talent idiot sings.
My steak was good, my food was HOT needed to wait to cool. The pulled pork was good nice blend of flavors...not overly sour and not overly smoked like it came from a house on fire. The mac and cheese was good. The fries were fine, the potato salad was good and the cole slaw.
Now to address the comments about homecooked, if any one believes that, then I suggest you need a grip on reality. As soon as you see a delivery truck from Sysco or US Foods, you can bet the food is not 100% homemade. You need to start somewhere with cooking, and doubt it highly that any restaurant grows their own bean, harvests it and then proceeded to produce a 100% homemade product. Whether you start with a dried bean or a can of beans, our grands and moms started their signature dished with product from the grocery. Now I stand corrected their were the people with truck patches.
Now...my only complaint...the silverwear needed some attention.

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Lewes, Delaware
“Not impressed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012 via mobile

This restaurant recently open near where I live so I decided to try it.
Overall, I am not impressed with the food. I had half a rack of pork ribs ( which seemed to be precooked ) and the vegetable of the day was over seasoned the little piece of cornbread was also stail. My husband was not satisfied with the quality of his meal as well. (stail roll on sandwich/ French fries undercooked)
The one thing I enjoyed was the service.
Place is new and clean and I wish them luck but they need to step up their game because just a mile up the road is Bethany Blues which are excellent in all BBQ.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Baltimore, Maryland
“Best Pit Beef”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

I frequent Charcoal Deli quite a bit and being from Baltimore originally, we know what is good pit beef and turkey! The BBQ ribs are deeeeliciious!!! Better than any other rib place in town!
They have a charcoal grill in the kitchen and their salads are HOMEMADE--not store bought! It is obvious their salads are homemade because of the taste, ingredients and texture.
I have never had a bad meal and several clients and friends have become frequent customers of the Charcoal Deli.

• Visited September 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dewey Beach, Delaware
“not what they claim”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

We went here because we were spending the day at a nearby amusement park and didn't want to eat junk food. We saw this place rated well -mostly- on TA.

Family got seated, ordered pit turkey, calif rueben, wings, 'daily soup de jour' -doesn't soup de jour mean soup of the day??-, and chef salad with sides of homemade bbq baked beans and fries. Well, there can't be a pit in this place to make all the 'pit' turkey, beef and pork this place is claiming. It's obivious from the flavor and tenderness of the turkey that this came from a package. The rueben was also from a package -you could tell it was pre-sliced and not memorable. Same with the chef salad -packaged meats and cheeses on top of lettuce. Pretty much a WaWa salad.

What we found most annoying was the claims of homemade everywhere. As we were eating our lunch they got a delivery and sailing by us on the cart was -suprise- 'homemade bbq beans' in a very large can. No pit, no homemade... It's questionable how this place managed to rank so high unless they are supplying their own reviews.

The food is not worth making this place a destination. There are several pit bbq places listed in town that we have heard about that have the real deal. We made the mistake of trying to save time by going to something around the corner from where we were spending the day. Next time we'll check ALL the ratings before we shell out $9 for a salad with package meats and cheeses. The lunch set us back over $50 for 4 people. Come on! You charge these prices, make the food REAL!

• Visited August 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Baltimore, Maryland
“The BEST in TOWN”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

I don't know where these negative reviews are coming from but I am a regular at Charcoal Deli and have never had a bad meal. The place has been VERY clean everytime I have been there.(15-20 times this summer).They have plenty of seating indoors and an outside patio which not many restaurants can offer in Rehoboth Beach.
I have had nothing but succulent BBQ ribs with the best BBQ sauce I have ever tasted.They do have real pit beef and pit turkey which is always juicy and tender and tasty. I have had their salads and yes....they are homemade !
They added homemade cakes and pies this summer and they are to die for! Their sandwiches and burgers are very good as well. Their prices are very reasonable compared to other similar establishments especially for families.
I had Charcoal Deli cater a party at my house and all my guests raved about the food---they wanted my recipes and I had to tell them I got the food from Charcoal Deli!!
One more note---the staff is friendly and helpful in explaining the different offerings. I would highly recommend CHARCOAL DELI and have referred several clients of mine.The feedback have all been very positive and they are referring their friendsand family to Charcoal Deli!!!

• Visited August 2011