“Last resort” 2 of 5 stars
Review of High Seas Motel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
High Seas Motel
You added High Seas Motel to your Saves list
12 Christian Street, Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971   |
Ranked #23 of 29 Hotels in Rehoboth Beach
Wilmington, DE
“Last resort”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stayed here because they were the only place that would rent a room for 1 night--most have a 2 night minimum on weekends, and we were in town for a Sat. wedding. Despite what other reviewers report, the woman @ check-in was not at all friendly, even though we paid in cash as she requested when we made our reservation. Our king bed room on the ground floor resembled a college dorm room, complete with cinderblock walls & exposed standpipe on the ceiling. The bath towels were thin & dingy--like shop towels you'd use to wash your car. Despite the house 'rules' posted everywhere, people were outside at 3AM talking loudly and keeping us awake. We complained & they eventually went inside. Bottom line: High Seas = Low Life = Don't Go There!

Room Tip: They lock the stairway doors at night, which you need a separate key to unlock to get to the 2nd &am...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I had all intentions of giving this place a solid 3 stars. It was definitely spartan, but come on people, it's a motel. It was super clean and even had a refrigerator and microwave, which most nice hotels don't have and is super convenient. It was a bit musty when we first got there, but after spraying some Febreeze and turning on the a/c, it went away. And the guy who checked us in was very sweet. And perfectly convenient location for walking everywhere all weekend. All in all, good deal for a last-minute, unplanned getaway.

I am knocking it down a star though because when we checked out, I asked if I could leave my car parked there for another hour or so while we got lunch before we headed home. The woman said no because they were booked. Despite a "vacancy" sign in the window. And despite the fact that there were EIGHT empty spots in the lot. I have a feeling the guy from the first night would have let us stay there. I know I'm not entitled to park there after my check-out, but I have never been turned down before when asking to stay just a little bit longer, particularly when there was clearly not a need for my parking spot for another imminent check-in.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Easton, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We stay at the High Seas around July 4th every year. It's a basic motel...it's clean, air-conditioned, keeps the rain off of us, and has beds. It's not a luxury hotel, but it's perfect for a trip to the beach...nice enough to come home to sleep in but not so nice that you want to spend all day in the motel room. For the price (comparatively speaking) you can't beat it. The free parking alone makes it worth it as it's location makes it convenient walking to the beach, restaurants and bars.

Room Tip: Call ahead and request a room near the office on a high floor....they front desk personnel are very...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Wilmington, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I was recently invited to stay @ the High Seas Motel in my home town of Rehoboth Beach, Delaware by a friend who was getting married. Being curious about the motel, I looked it up on the internet to get some information. Well, after reading some of the horrible reviews, I was beginning to wander if my wife & I should even consider staying there. During our 400 mile drive to Rehoboth, we decided that we would just meet the management and look at the room before actually checking in. If we don't like it, we'll move on to another hotel.
Our introduction to the management was quite pleasant, as the sister (of the brother & sister who own and manage the motel) called us on my cell phone. She was returning my call to assure us that we had reservations and that they were looking forward to our arrival. Although normally closed during the winter months, they agreed to open a few days as a gift for my friend who was getting married. When we arrived, the sister helped us get set up in our room by making sure everything in the room worked and that we knew how to operate everything. The ice machine was broken down, but, they (the brother & sister) had filled a cooler w/ ice for the guests. They had one coffee pot in the office and that's when I met the brother, who welcomed us to help ourselves. They made me feel very welcome and special. My grandmother had previously had her home sitting on the property where the hotel had been built back in the 80's. They would tell me stories of their experiences w/ my "Nana" such as preparing & delivering meals or just sitting on her porch and chatting for hours. They lived next door in their private home before the motel was built during their childhood days. Their father has recently retired and they have taken over management opf the hotel.
By writing these comments, I just want to make sure that the horrible image of the High Seas Motel & it's management that I had originally read was not all any potential customers have to judge by. The motel is nothing real fancy. After all, it was built back in the 80's. I can tell you that it is clean, convenient walking distance to most anything you want in Rehoboth and it is run by a FAMILY that knows Rehoboth and cares about its' customers. And unlike most places, the price is right and that's really good in times like we're having in this country. My wife & I even stayed an extra night so that we could visit my family.
Thank you Stacey & George for a wonderful experience while staying @ the High Seas Motel.

Room Tip: Second floor good for security and hauling luggage. No elevator.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
bethlehem. PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

this motel is basic lodging. it is well kept and well managed. the bed was comfortable. the room was clean. there was a refrigerator and microwave, and free coffee in the lobby.
the management was pleasant and accommodating.
the price and location is unbeatable in this area.
i plan to stay here repeatedly in the future

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012 via mobile

We booked one night here because it is within a 5 minute walk of the Dogfish Head Brewery Restaurant. The staff couldn't have been nicer at check in/out. We had a ground level room w/ a king sized bed. The mattress was no thicker than 6 inches and rock hard. There was no evidence of bed bugs at all, though there were some spiders in the room...including a tiny one between the sheets. The bathroom cleanliness was below par. The corners of the room were dirty and the very low (6'4) drop ceiling had water stains all over. The sink was outside of the main bathroom and had no drain plug. Overall, I'd stay here again but only if nothing else was available. We only paid $70 for the night compared to other motels in the immediate area that were $100+.

• Stayed September 2012
Ellicott City, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Went here only because at the last minute they were the only centrally located place in August that was Ok with one night on the weekend. Prepared for the worse, but was pleasantly surprised that the rooms were clean although old and as a another reviewer said were "ultra basic". The central location to beach , shops, restaurants is a big plus. Will not impress anyone you are with but it serves the needs. Also surprisingly quiet on 3rd floor and not disturbed at all by noise. No elevator so you need to pack light if you are up there.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to High Seas Motel? Share your experiences!