“Rude, rude, RUDE owner!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Cape Suites

Cape Suites
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Prices are for rooms, adults
Cape Suites
Save Saved
You added Cape Suites to your Saves list
47 Baltimore Avenue, Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971   |
Ranked #13 of 16 Rehoboth Beach B&B and Inns
NY
“Rude, rude, RUDE owner!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2009

First, this is not a B&B. It is an 8 room motel with no 24 hour front desk. Second, I have traveled quite extensively and have stayed at both high end and budget places and I have never experienced the rudeness and animosity that I did from the owner. Her name is either Pat or Pam.

Four adults and 1 kid rented 2 rooms here the weekend after Labor Day. When I made the reservations I specified that it would be a late check - in as we would all be driving from NY Friday after work. That Friday I called around noon and confirmed that both rooms would be a late check-in. We have done this every year and what they do is give you your room number over the phone and they leave the key under the mat.

It rained the whole drive down so we did not arrive until past 1am. We go to our rooms and there are no keys under the mats. It seemed most rooms were empty so we checked all 8 mats and found no keys. I called the reservations number which prompts me to either leave a message or go to their website. So we go to the entrance of the closed office, which is dark, and look for an emergency number. And there it is. Handwritten (fading) on an index card taped to the glass door. One person used their cell to cast light on it and read the number while I dialed. I speak to a male, explain the situation and he reluctantly ( I could sense it) tells me he'll be right over. t took him 20 minutes to arrive. Normally that would not seem like much but after driving 4+ hours in the rain and at 1:40am with a cranky, sleepy kid it was not pleasant.

The man opens the office and comes out tell us that he only has a reservation for 1 room. I show him the confirmation/receipt for the 2 rooms that was mailed to me. When you make a reservation you are charged 1 night for each room. He goes back in and gives us 2 keys to 2 rooms that were not the ones given to us over the phone. Not that it matters. All the rooms are the same. The point is that they obviously do not know what they're doing. Anyway, he asks if there is anything else, we say no and he leaves. No apology.

The next morning we go to the office to settle the remainder of the bill. At the very least we expect the front desk person to offer an apology. None. We tell the girl what happened and she tells us: "Oh, I told the night crew. They must have forgotten." At this point I feel that the apathy has gone too far (I was sadly mistaken.) I ask if there is anything that they are going to do for us for our inconvenience. She looks at me and says she can't do anything. So I ask her to please call the owner. She does, and after a brief chat tells me that he owner can't do anything. I tell her that as the owner she can and ask her to call her again so that I can speak to her. This lady whose name is either Pat or Pam is not in the very least apologetic or even pleasant she is actually annoyed that I want to speak to her. She tells me that they got there immediately and what would I want her to do?! I explain to her that we are repeat customers, sometimes twice in a season and at times we have booked 4 of their 8 rooms. It meant nothing to her. Upon the lack of concern on her part I ask for a discount on our rooms, which she eventually agreed to...10% off one night.

In our opinion, this woman should not be in the hospitality business as she has no concept of the word nor any regard for her guests. She is rude and dismissive. This place used to be run by a guy named Larry who was amazing and always pleasant. For years we never had a problem with him.

None of us will ever stay there again as long as she has anything to do with it. As a resident of NYC I can get rudeness any time and for free. I don't need to drive 4 hours and pay for it.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Cape Suites? Share your experiences!