“Mixed Review” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Cape Suites

Cape Suites
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Cape Suites
You added Cape Suites to your Saves list
47 Baltimore Avenue, Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971   |
Ranked #13 of 16 Rehoboth Beach B&B and Inns
Bel Air, MD
“Mixed Review”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

This consists of two levels above an art gallery. The suite is two bedrooms with a bath between bedrooms. There was a small refrigerator, coffee maker and microwave. The microwave was cracked and we tested with our cell phones and it leaked. Stayed on wednesday and registered in late afternoon. Shortly after check in, the person at the desk told us he was closing the office. When we returned after dinner, we observed that we were the only ones in the building. The rooms were small and relatively clean. Everything was there, staff friendly and easy walk to beach and in the downtown area. I just didnt like the steep steps, old furnishings and only ones in the facility with no staff. Wife liked the low rate and happy with clean sheets, coffee and shower. If you want to be near the beach and not going to spend a lot of time in the room, then this would be the place. A plus is the off street parking. This served our needs but I would not return, wife would stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms are only on second and third floors with steep steps and no elevator.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
DC area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Have stayed here countless times over the last few years and have never had a problem. Nice to park the car and leave it and not have to worry about meters and parking permits. However, on the down side, the rooms are starting to look a little shabby and need some attention, though.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
phoenixville, pa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

The location was great and the staff was very pleasant and helpful but when we woke up the next day there were dead and dying small black beetles on the bathroom floor. Upon looking around the room further I found more of the same bugs along the sliding glass door and around the corners of the rooms. I didn't have any doors open so they must have been there before us. Nothing harmful, just a little creepy.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Culpeper, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

My fiancee and I decided to take a short-notice trip to Rehoboth, and called several motels once we had arrived. Most B&B's were booked, and one suggested the Cape Suites to us. We arrived and had prompt and friendly service and were given a room. The room seemed quite nice to us; it was maintained well and provided just what we needed for our quick trip to the beach.

The price is a bit much per night for the small room with nothing else offered, but it is one of the cheapest in the area during the summer season. Cape Suites location was also nice for us, as it was only a short walk to the boardwalk - perhaps three blocks - and it is relatively central to the town and shops. The street was not busy at all in comparison to the rest of the town so it is nice and quiet, which makes up for the lack of view from the balcony! A minor annoyance for us was the small parking area in the back, which was difficult to squeeze into with our medium-sized truck. Not a big deal for us, because we chose to get around the town on foot. If you're looking to drive around constantly you should be aware that in the peak season it will be a pain to park with other guests there.
Basically if you're just looking for a place to rest in the town for a few nights, it is a great choice.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2010

Hotel is on quiet street 3 short blocks to the beach and boardwalk. rooms not fancy, but clean and quiet. Can walk in evening to boardwalk and all RB restaurants. Recommend.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2009

First, this is not a B&B. It is an 8 room motel with no 24 hour front desk. Second, I have traveled quite extensively and have stayed at both high end and budget places and I have never experienced the rudeness and animosity that I did from the owner. Her name is either Pat or Pam.

Four adults and 1 kid rented 2 rooms here the weekend after Labor Day. When I made the reservations I specified that it would be a late check - in as we would all be driving from NY Friday after work. That Friday I called around noon and confirmed that both rooms would be a late check-in. We have done this every year and what they do is give you your room number over the phone and they leave the key under the mat.

It rained the whole drive down so we did not arrive until past 1am. We go to our rooms and there are no keys under the mats. It seemed most rooms were empty so we checked all 8 mats and found no keys. I called the reservations number which prompts me to either leave a message or go to their website. So we go to the entrance of the closed office, which is dark, and look for an emergency number. And there it is. Handwritten (fading) on an index card taped to the glass door. One person used their cell to cast light on it and read the number while I dialed. I speak to a male, explain the situation and he reluctantly ( I could sense it) tells me he'll be right over. t took him 20 minutes to arrive. Normally that would not seem like much but after driving 4+ hours in the rain and at 1:40am with a cranky, sleepy kid it was not pleasant.

The man opens the office and comes out tell us that he only has a reservation for 1 room. I show him the confirmation/receipt for the 2 rooms that was mailed to me. When you make a reservation you are charged 1 night for each room. He goes back in and gives us 2 keys to 2 rooms that were not the ones given to us over the phone. Not that it matters. All the rooms are the same. The point is that they obviously do not know what they're doing. Anyway, he asks if there is anything else, we say no and he leaves. No apology.

The next morning we go to the office to settle the remainder of the bill. At the very least we expect the front desk person to offer an apology. None. We tell the girl what happened and she tells us: "Oh, I told the night crew. They must have forgotten." At this point I feel that the apathy has gone too far (I was sadly mistaken.) I ask if there is anything that they are going to do for us for our inconvenience. She looks at me and says she can't do anything. So I ask her to please call the owner. She does, and after a brief chat tells me that he owner can't do anything. I tell her that as the owner she can and ask her to call her again so that I can speak to her. This lady whose name is either Pat or Pam is not in the very least apologetic or even pleasant she is actually annoyed that I want to speak to her. She tells me that they got there immediately and what would I want her to do?! I explain to her that we are repeat customers, sometimes twice in a season and at times we have booked 4 of their 8 rooms. It meant nothing to her. Upon the lack of concern on her part I ask for a discount on our rooms, which she eventually agreed to...10% off one night.

In our opinion, this woman should not be in the hospitality business as she has no concept of the word nor any regard for her guests. She is rude and dismissive. This place used to be run by a guy named Larry who was amazing and always pleasant. For years we never had a problem with him.

None of us will ever stay there again as long as she has anything to do with it. As a resident of NYC I can get rudeness any time and for free. I don't need to drive 4 hours and pay for it.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Cape Suites? Share your experiences!