“A clean Mom & Pop property at a fair price” 4 of 5 stars

Anchorage Motel
18809 Coastal Highway, Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971   |
Ranked #19 of 29 Hotels in Rehoboth Beach
US
“A clean Mom & Pop property at a fair price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

Reading reviews on goods or services takes a certain skill. It seems like for every good review there is a bad one. I believe if you review something you need to take responsibility to be honest and try and cater to as many readers as possible.

For me, when it comes to hotels/motels, it all starts with a clean room and a hot shower in a safe environment. I understand however some want more. Others want much more.

People are more money conscious today than ever. What most people want is the best possible room with the most amounts of amenities for the least amount of money.

Rooms at the Anchorage are not four diamond suites, however neither is the price. Let’s start with what you’ll have to live without at this quaint Mom and Pop style motel. As the other Reviewers pointed out, there is no coffee in the room, no big thick thirsty towels, (though my towel was more than adequate), no continental breakfast, no wide screen TV, no hair dryer, no alarm clock/radio, no mini-fridge, no microwave, no balcony or chairs, no pool, and no lush landscaping. The property is not located by Rehoboth’s beach and boardwalk.

Now let’s talk about what you will get. For one of the most competitive prices in the Rehoboth Beach area you will get a clean, comfortable room. It should be noted there is a new annex so the type of room you end up with may be different than what your friend stayed in a week ago.

You will be treated with respect and kindness by friendly people. It seems like they truly appreciate your business.

As mentioned earlier, one of the few things I look for is cleanliness. The room was clean. The bathroom was clean and extra large. The hot water pressure could have been stronger however was more than adequate. The beds will need to be replaced at some point down the road however they still have some life left. The older style TV had a ridiculous number of stations to choose from however the cable company did not seem to have a “channel guide” which made viewing TV a challenge to say the least. I’m not a big TV watcher, especially when I’m on vacation, so to me this was not an issue.

The complex is located on Route 1 about ten minutes from the beach. You are literally surrounded by Rehoboth’s famous Outlets and Restaurants.

The furnishings work. I appreciate the desk and chair as I always seem to find myself doing a little work on the road.

There is a generous supply of parking.

This is a two story motel so if you, or someone in your party, is handicapped please mention it when you make the reservation.

So what is the bottom line? If you want a lot of hotel frills you will find them in the Rehoboth area, however, you will have to pay for them. If you are looking for a nice, clean, comfortable room for a night or two to hit the boards and do some shopping, and price is a consideration, look no further.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

We booked a last minute vacation and we found this incredible place. Small, quaint, clean, and very friendly it was perfect. The room we got was just renovated and was so nice and big. Good price good service great location. No complaints.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Mansfield, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

You get a clean room for the very affordable price. What you give up is no coffee in the room, no alarm clock and thin bath towels. If you know this going in its a great place to spend the night. Restraurants within walking distance.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed in Rehoboth for a long weekend with his family. After having a terrible nights sleep in the hotel we first stayed at on the Friday night, we called the Anchorage on Saturday morning hoping that they would have a room at a decent price (the chain hotels along this main street wanted to charge us over $200 a night in September). We got a nice clean room at the Anchorage for $100. It's no frills but if you just need somewhere to sleep & take a shower it's a great place for that. It is a drive to the beach, but since we were there in September, we really weren't there for the beach since it was a bit chilly.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Needed a last minute reservation on a busy July day, was able to get a room here. Very basic, but clean. Location was so-so. I would suggest going to walmart for some pillows if you need to stay here.... And maybe pick up some shampoo too...

• Stayed July 2013
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

When my job booked this motel for me for a work conference, I was a little worried. The website doesn't make it look great and it's a motel in the middle of strip malls, so I wasn't sure what to expect. But I was pleasantly surprised. It's a newer building that's well-maintained. It doesn't have too many frills, but the room was spacious and clean. There's plenty of parking and it's only about 10 minutes to the beach. This is a great place for an affordable stay near the beach.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

This motel is on the coastal highway, a few miles from the beach. Your best option to get to the beach, in my opinion, is to drive to the Park and Ride, behind the Holiday Inn Express (a couple of miles south), which runs frequently and will drop you off at (and pick you up from) the Boardwalk. (Or you can drive down, but parking is limited and the meters are RELENTLESSLY hungry for quarters!!)

Obviously, it's more convenient to stay right on the beach, but the price is right (at least half of what we would have paid to stay beachfront!!) and if you can't be right on the beach, you might as well be right near the outlets, right? And there are plenty of places to pick up food or other necessities on the Coastal Highway.

Overall the place is fine-- friendly and helpful staff, looks to be fairly recently updated, nice shower, beds reasonably comfortable and quiet (did not hear highway noise, but then again, we had an "inside" room!), and we felt safe. We also were very happy to have a fridge. But we were disappointed when it came to the little things.

For example, we immediately noticed that our room had hair everywhere that was not ours. Most notably, on the floor of our bathroom and stuck to our blankets (under the comforters, which we've always known to remove.) And I'm not just talking like 1 or 2 hairs. This gave me the creeps...

Also, as others have said-- there are no frills here. I'm fine with their not providing a hair dryer, or little shampoos/conditioners (I knew from others' reviews that I'd better pack my own), but our room seriously needed a towel rack, or at least a towel hook or two. We had this giant bathroom, but there was nowhere to hang our bath towels, nevermind our beach towels! Also, I didn't feel unsafe, but I would have felt safer if my room had a dead bolt on the door, and I'm not used to not seeing one. I thought those were pretty standard these days.

All in all, I'd stay here again, but I might look for other options first.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, you might ask for a room that does not face the highway. (I slept fin...