“Some Good, Some Bad” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 29 Hotels in Rehoboth Beach
Manchester, NJ
“Some Good, Some Bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

The location of this hotel is its strongest point. Some of the features are tired, The lock on our room was so difficult to open that my wife could not do it. Every time she wanted to go to room, I had to let her in. While the free breakfast exists, it is simple and gets old by the 3rd or 4th day. The lobby rest room is convenient and some staff tries to make the stay pleasant. Hotel has outdoor corridors. Housekeeping services are adequate - room is made up at various times during day.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
North Olmsted
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Wow! A perfect place for a family to stay. Right on the beach and boardwalk and a stones throw from Funland and every food vendor you could think of. Plus, the location on the beach is at the end of the boardwalk so it's not as congested. The morning breakfast had more the enough to chose from. The room was clean and tidy (until we came back from the beach), although clearly lived in. If you stay here just keep in mind you are going to a older beach hotel. We've seen the reviews that some of the rooms had been renovated, but definitely not all of them. It was a great price and the ability to not have to drive anywhere is priceless!

Stayed July 2014
Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Called the hotel directly to book for 3 nights with my friend and I. The lobby is beautiful however it does not match the facade of the building. The doors to the rooms are gross and outdated. You use old fashion keys which are easy to lose. Additionally there is wifi however the connection is terrible so you might as well just go to a coffee shop or lobby to use it. The rooms were nice but nothing special. The balcony is great with am amazing view of the ocean. The maid staff left our door open one day and luckily nothing was stolen. Also, the breakfast is just cold stuff like packages breakfast bars and bagels. No hot food. All in all you pay a low price for low quality hotel. If you are just going to the beach everyday then it is worth it however if you are looking for a more upscale hotel this is not the place for you.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Very overpriced, shabby, and dirty. The pictures you see on the website look nothing like what you'll see in person. Our room was awful. The threadbare carpet had large stains all over it. The bathroom door looked like someone had tried to put their fist through it. One of the bathroom bulbs was burnt out. The mirror had filthy wipe marks on it, and the hand-basin was coming away from the base. There was only 1 plastic cloths hanger (really?) I went downstairs to talk to the manager at ten pm right after check-in. The manager was not there but the front desk was at least attentive and helpful and moved us to a suite on the 7th floor...it was noisy under the dance floor but was better than the awful room we had prior to that. This room was newer and looked cleaner but the renovations were very badly done and the furniture looked like it came from a Thrift store. I guess the owners rely on location and don't care about anything else. It's a pity as this hotel due to the location could be fantastic. I will say that the 8th floor function room overlooking the beach and ocean was great, and the catered food was surprisingly good. Keep the 8th floor and gut the rest.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights because I was in a wedding that was taking place on the beach with the reception at the Salero on the top floor. We arrived around 12:30pm, our room was not ready at this point but the nice lady at the desk gave us local restaurant recommendations and offered the changing room if we wanted to hit the beach. I was very sad to find out that this location does not have a pool. Around 3pm I received a phone call letting me know my room was ready. We were in room 704. There are 2 elevators at the Henlopen and they do move fairly quickly. We parked in the parking garage onsite, my only complaint here was that the parking spots are VERY tight so be careful. Upon entering the room there was a foul smell. We went ahead and turned the air up and closed the bathroom door and it seemed to go away. We had a double bed room and it did have a microwave and mini fridge. The beds were rock hard and neither my boyfriend or I slept very well. All rooms seem to have a balcony, our view was the concrete courtyard. However, if we leaned over the balcony and looked to the right, we could see the beach. The room was very outdated, it had a big gap in the doorway, open cracks in the ceiling and a very small television. Since I was the MOH in the wedding, I did visit other bridal party members in the hotel in different rooms. The bride did have an oceanfront room on the same floor as me (room 716) which was completed updated, more modern with a wonderful view. The furniture and bathrooms in their oceanfront looked very modern. I also visited another bridal party member in room 303 and their room was outdated like mine. The hotel does offer continental breakfast in the breakfast room which was nice. It had coffee, juices, pre-packed pastries, cereal, and breakfast sandwiches. It isn't gourmet but was nice to have something to get the day started. The Henlopen is located right on the end of the boardwalk and very convenient. I didn't need to move my car the whole weekend, as we could easily walk everywhere we needed to go in Rehobeth. The reception was held on the top level of the Henlopen at the Salero, and it had a wonderful view of the ocean. They did a great job with the reception and my friends were so happy with the work of the host, Dawn. Overall the Henlopen was convenient as I needed to be staying near the bride and all of the festivities, however I would not pay to stay here again for pleasure. The prices are expensive for how outdated the majority of the rooms are.

Room Tip: choose an oceanfront room if its in the budget. they seem to have been renovated and are very nice.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Reading, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

my family and I got to the hotel early and asked for an early check in. The staff advised they will call me, but then never did. I went back to the hotel at 3pm and they told me my room wasn't ready yet (check in is at 3pm) and that I could have another room on the 2nd floor. The room was average, however, not cleaned well. I could write my name in the dust on the TV and i found pretzels under the bed frame from the last guests. Also, no pool but a huge courtyard. Continental breakfast was very good.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Nesquehoning
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

I found this to be the best priced hotel on the beach, about $75 less than the hotel 3 blocks down. It's a nice casual walk to the center of town. Not too far at all. I loved the walk.
That being said, if you are hungry, grab some takeout prior to checkin. There's nowhere to grab a quick bite, you have to take that 5 block walk or so. We wanted to take lunch to the beach and husband had to walk for pizza. Someone would make a fortune if they put a snack stand right next to the hotel.
I wish there was a pool. But ya have the ocean right there.
Parking spots are tight, scary tight. That was the biggest negative. And the free breakfast is not breakfast. It's a room where you can grab a pc of fruit, granola bar etc.
We would stay again

• Stayed June 2014

Been to Henlopen Hotel? Share your experiences!