“Good value, nice location” 4 of 5 stars

Henlopen Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   511 North Boardwalk, Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971   |
Ranked #16 of 29 Hotels in Rehoboth Beach
Nesquehoning
“Good value, nice location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

I found this to be the best priced hotel on the beach, about $75 less than the hotel 3 blocks down. It's a nice casual walk to the center of town. Not too far at all. I loved the walk.
That being said, if you are hungry, grab some takeout prior to checkin. There's nowhere to grab a quick bite, you have to take that 5 block walk or so. We wanted to take lunch to the beach and husband had to walk for pizza. Someone would make a fortune if they put a snack stand right next to the hotel.
I wish there was a pool. But ya have the ocean right there.
Parking spots are tight, scary tight. That was the biggest negative. And the free breakfast is not breakfast. It's a room where you can grab a pc of fruit, granola bar etc.
We would stay again

• Stayed June 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Glenview, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

Great place to stay as it's very convenient to ocean, beach, boardwalk and many restaurants. U can really walk around the area nicely, rooms are adequate and all have some type of balcony depending on price of room. we had a small refrigerator for keeping items cold.
Daily breakfast. Many choices to pick that u won't go hungry.
Staying by the ocean just gives a nice atmosphere to your stay.
Room was clean, neat and comfortable

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Slatington, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We were looking for a quiet off-season treat on the beach. The Henlopen Hotel provided just the spot! Room had a balcony that had unobstructed view of the ocean which was spectacular. The staff were friendly and accommodating and the room was great.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the courtyard.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I needed a place to stay pronto as the apartment I was given was suddenly not available. Jennifer and Jeff checked me in with great ease and I received a wonderful suite.
This morning I was lucky enough to meet Laura who told me about the complementary breakfast room run by Dawn.
I do suggest they add lotion and a pen/pad of paper to amenities, but that wouldn't keep me from returning.
I loved the 3 block walk into the center of town.
I highly recommend the Henlopen Hotel.

Room Tip: Bay View or Ocean View
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Wrightsville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Went with some girlfriends and this place was perfect. Had a balcony overlooking the ocean and beach. Watched 2 weddings on the beach...pretty cool. Had a nice breakfast included...nothing fancy but perfect for us. We would definitely come back!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Vienna, VA USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

We stayed here to attend my niece's beach wedding. It has the feel of an old hotel that is past its heyday. It does feel like it's had a facelift in the last few years, with new tile flooring in the lobby and rooms. It's a low-service hotel but a very good value. We stayed just one week before Memorial Day and got an $85-a-night rate (I think that's below rack, since we were there for a wedding in the hotel), which jumps to a minimum of $249 in high season.

We arrived to grab a luggage cart for self-service; the hotel has no bell staff. I rolled our full cart up a too-short ramp to the front door. Make sure you have a friend who can hold the door, which despite an apparent renovation was still a swing-open door--no automatic sliding doors to help you get your cart through.

They still use metal room keys, the first ones I've seen in decades at a hotel. They are standard Schlage keys, easy to lose, as we later found (oops). The room doors open to an outdoor hallway, and on the rainy afternoon when we arrived water was dripping incessantly from the hall ceiling so we were sprinkled on as we opened our doors and got the luggage into the rooms.

We booked two rooms, one with two double beds and one with a king. They were connecting. The room was modestly but neatly furnished. There was an open area near the door with a clothes rod but no closet, and no in-room safe. Only one room had a suitcase stand. We found little surprises throughout the stay that betray a lack of attention to detail by the housekeepers. Most notably there was a cigarette pack on the nightstand shelf, empty save for a burned butt, and there was popcorn on the floor under the bed. We also felt that management had skimped on the details when renovating. The hangers were the plastic tube hangers like you get by the case at the Container Store, which are OK for shirts but not as good for pants and suits. The bathroom shower heads were cheap household builder's grade, as were the toilet paper holders which were not securely attached. The drapes across the balcony door were heavy to help block the light, but there was not the typical lightweight curtain behind them if you wanted to allow light in the room but still have some privacy. The rooms had LCD TVs, although 24" which is the smallest I've seen in a hotel. Granted, we never had time to watch much TV and didn't mind, but just another sign they seemed to be cutting corners.

There is no WiFi available in guest rooms. A secure WiFi connection is available in the lobby.

The rooms had a side view of the ocean, and the sounds of the waves breaking was very atmospheric. But the same lack of soundproofing that allowed the soothing sounds of the breakers also lets through the jarring sounds of late-night revelers lingering in the hallway, and children shrieking and running at 7:00 AM. I called the front desk at 12:15 AM to tell them about the hallway party, and either the party burned itself out or someone came up to investigate, but 20 minutes later all was quiet.

The rooms are non-smoking but they allow smoking on the balconies. We did not notice any smell of smoke in our rooms despite the evidence that a smoker had stayed there.

The location is prime for Rehoboth, at the north end of the boardwalk. It was only a few minutes' walk down the boardwalk to Rehoboth Avenue.

A continental breakfast is included in a breakfast room which you have to walk down an outdoor walkway to access. Breakfast included a coffee dispenser machine (thanks for including decaf), another dispenser with OJ and apple juice, an assortment of commercial individually packaged muffins, danish, and cereal bars, fresh unpeeled fruit, assorted yogurt, and a freezer with Jimmy Dean sausage biscuits and breakfast burritos that could be heated in a microwave. There were no fresh-made items but the room was very well attended and stocked and they never ran out of anything.

I've listed several picky details but overall I can't complain. It's just that management could lift the experience significantly if they went just an extra step here and there. The stay was mostly comfortable, and the hotel met all our basic needs. I might balk at spending $279 for the same room in July/August but I'm not familiar with the Rehoboth market so perhaps that's what you have to pay for a basic room at a basic hotel that happens to have a great location.

Room Tip: Beware of 7th floor rooms--nice view but the big party room is on 8. Ice machines are only on some f...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Niskayuna, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

We have been coming to Rehoboth for over 50 years since I was a small child and now my adult children also make it an annual (or more) event. Those years when we dont have time to rent a condo or house,we always stay at the Henlopen. From year to year,they remember us and remember our room preference on the 7th floor. While it may not be as posh as a neighboring hotel,it is infinately friendlier and more welcoming than the other boardwalk hotels and the price is very reasonable considering the boardwalk location. Even during weddings,it is not very noisy and the boardwalk location is much quieter than any of the other boardwalk hotels.The rooms are always clean and wlecoming and the staff are so accomodating, The breakfast is not meant to rival any or the big box chain "free breakfasts" so it should not be comapred to them,but more just a courtesy continental breakfast. It is worth the walk to any number of interesting breakfast places or a short walk to the market or cafe papillon to bring back french pastries and coffee. That is part of the magic of Rehoboth,to explore some of the neatest and excellent restaurants within walking distance, We love to come to the Henlopen time after time and over all these years have never regretted a stay. I have traveled alot around the nation for work before I retired and, I find the Henlopen offers a nice stay for very reasonable prices,considering its location and the prices of other boardwalk hotels, Always a good experience and I always feel safe there.We have tried other hotels further down the boardwalk and have found some to be bordering on sleazy and noisy beyond the point of being tolerable. The Henlopen has never been like that at all.!!! We highly recommend it to you,

Room Tip: Seventh floor ocean front rooms are wonderful,quiet and great view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Henlopen Hotel? Share your experiences!