“Downhill Fast” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Rams Head Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Rams Head Inn
You added Rams Head Inn to your Saves list
35006 Warrington Road, Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971   |
Erie, Pennsylvania
“Downhill Fast”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

I am here planning my summer vacation when I stopped to think about how I once always looked forward to staying at the Rams Head Inn when Ron and Rob were the inn keepers. Ron and Rob were gentlemen who were friendly and showed respect to all the guests. They gave the guests privacy so they could socialize without the feeling that “someone is looking over your shoulder all the time.
Shortly after the sale of the inn, I vacationed there in June 2010 and then realized that is not the same friendly, relaxing place it had been. As many past reviews posted, Paul would not give me any privacy, always trying to make “ small talk” when I either wanted to relax by myself soaking up the sun, or try to better “get to know’ one of the guests. What a shame! This place could be a “gold mine” if the new owners would LEARN from all the NEGATIVE comments posted on here, and/or ask for help from Ron and Rob as to what made their B&B so successful.
Last July, I thought I would pay another visit and give it another chance. And once again, I was EXTEMELY DISAPPOINTED and vowed I will never go there again! The NEW OWNERS have made minimal changes to the décor in which no major improvements such as carpeting, painting, nor updating to flat screen televisions had been made. However, the # 1 complaint listed on Trip Advisor that I have found to be TRUE is the new owner Paul is a very arrogant chain smoker that spends the majority of his time “spying and mingling” with the paying guests when he should be “ out of sight and out of mind” doing the NECESSARY housekeeping so that the guests can socialize with other guests. I will never be able to forget sitting in the hot tub, 10 feet from one of the other guests, when Paul came in and in a loud, arrogant, and serious voice shouted, “Don’t have sex in here!”, even though we were getting to know each other by discussing our political views. How embarrassing it was for both of us! Do not get me wrong, it is fine to be “friendly” (Like Ron was), but to be continuously “bothering” guests is totally out of line (even if you are the inn‘s owner. One guest told me that Paul said that Rams Head is HIS house and he will do what he pleases). With that attitude it is very evident Paul has not been educated in the hospitality business.

I will NOT be return to Rams Head until I start reading Trip Advisor Reviews that give many more positive comments about their visits where the #1 Complaint of “spying and mingling” is not mentioned! I doubt this will happen, so I will have to wait and pray for these guys to “lose” the inn, and return when there are NEW OWNERS!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

My first visit and definitely will be my last visit at this old out dated run down dive. The service was terrible, the cleanliness was far less than professional and the owner (Paul) was real intrusive. I sense the owners are in some kind of delerium with which their actions dictate they are proud of this place. The music they played was like something from a late 70's disco bar (you know the ones we want to forget) I agree with the other review 100%. The furnishings are almost like from a thrift store, dusty and gloomy and do not work well with the colors. My advise would be they convert it to a haunted house, that would be more fitting. I use to stay at anyone of the chain hotels and always paid less and got more. Awe... if you want to go stare at a bunch of old naked men, might be the place for you then. The other guy that was there (only other guest) said the place went to he** in a hurry and said it use to be much nicer. I was told I only had 2 rooms to choose from yet they only had one other room rented. Also I didn't like the way Paul kept gazing at my body and making other gestures. I cut my stay short and left early. His remarks about the play area and joining me back there was the end for me. I'm not attracted to flaming melo dramatics. I had hoped to meet Mr. Right and instead I met two Mr. wrongs. Television reception was poor, limited channels, room smelled musty, towels and linens seemed stiff/rough. Hey!! don't they have a school for guys like these to get educated to operate a BNB? they should track down whoever owned it before and get some help or at least hire someone that was in the business because it is obvious these guys do not know what they are doing. Finally the pool was dirty and the hot tub was even worse. I was offended when Paul ask me to not have sex in the hot tub. Uh hum!!! Pardon me!! but I don't think I would be caught dead having sex in the hot tub or in public, so for him to assume that I was some type of tramp only proves that they know what they are operating there. Guys like me definitely do not fit in there. I do appreciate a nice naked body, a nice room, friendly chit chat and meeting nice people but to assume that I am staying at the Rams head Inn for a pick up, a orgy or to openly have a sexual liason kind of shows where his mind is at. My words of wisdom for the owners would be to get your heads out of your ***** and focus on what's important, laundry, cleaning, quality surroundings with quality music, staying out of sight and just being behind the scenes. If you can't do that, then you just simply own a cheap run down large home that is poorly decorated and in a bad location. I will say the Bed was comfortable even though I seen his shadow lurking outside my room, so I didn't sleep well. I expect this place to be closed by the end of 2012.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2011

I wish the owners would visit one of the fine gay B&B in Florida, like Fort Lauderdale. They evidently need to see how the other places run and how the other owners interact with the guests. I find that the owners at Rams Head have a clouded view on what they think the guest expect and want. Provide the basics first, a clean room at a reasonable price. Lose the blue and gold outfits, we know who you are and leave the socializing with the guests to a minimum.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
New Providence, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

I read the previous reviews and tried it out anyway. Big mistake. The pool is not heated and unusable late in the season. Housekeeping was poor. The room was poorly furnished in an odd assortment of thrift store pieces. There wasn't even a door on the bathroom. The TV was old and had limited channels. The one owner, Paul, was a pain and I did my best to avoid him.
The price was really high for such an old and poorly serviced inn.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

This was my first time in a bed and breakfast and my first time in a clothing optional resort. We also had the benefit of being the only guests for the weekend, so we were able to spend a lot of time with the new owners to get to know them.

Upon our arrival, we were both shown to our room. It was very nice and spacious. Of course, we wanted to see all of the other rooms and get a full tour of the place. All of the rooms are very nice. They all have different characters. Some of the rooms have their own entrances to the pool area. Other rooms are part of the original farm house and open into the house. All of the rooms are clean and smoke smell free.

We also learned the house rules. They were all perfectly acceptable and rational. I didn't find them at all restrictive. In fact, I would appreciated all guests following the same rules because they help make the experience enjoyable for everyone. This includes smoking rules (only outside), clothing rules (no nudity inside the public areas of the house...this is appreciated when guests are trying to eat), and...hmm...let's say "activities" which are not allowed in public areas (again, there are some things I just don't want to see).

The new owners are making improvements to the place as well. They are updating the decor and working on the landscaping. They're keeping the place up and making it even cleaner and nicer. Now, I might add, this is not a new, fresh hotel. This is a B&B. You should set your expectations as such. You are a guest in someone's home, literally. The new owners live there YEAR ROUND. That being said, the new owners went out of their way to make us feel like we were welcome. We both felt like we were close friends and family by the time we checked out. When was the last time you were able to say that?

In summary, we felt like we had found a home away from home. The new owners are our new friends, not just the innkeepers. We're definitely going back whenever we need to be with family and need a relaxing weekend away from the city.

Room Tip: The rooms in the old house have access only through the main part of the house. The outside rooms op...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

My partner and I have been to the Rams Head Inn for the 4th time. Each visit gets better!

What to Expect:
When you arrive, you are warmly greeted by Frank and Paul, the owners. They will ask how your trip was, what you plan on doing in Rehoboth, engage some simple chit chat. You know, it's called having a conversation and getting to know your guests. You'll be lead back to the office, finalize your bill, and given you room keys. if it's your first time, you'll be given a tour of the compound, which is very well maintained and full of tropical life. You'll be shown your room, the gym, sauna, pool, pool area, the hottub, and, yes, there is a designated, VERY private area on a far corner of the property that is for having fun. It's a clothing optional gay resort....what do you expect? We enjoy the fact that there is a place for us to explore our exhibitionist side. The owners will ask a few simple questions to help you with your stay, as well as help them to accomodate you as much as possible. They will give you information on recommeded restaurants, stores and shops in town....and will even give you COUPONS!...yes, ways for you to save your money, and places to mention where you are staying to get a discount. Everything they do, they do for a purpose, not to be intrusive or nosey. It helps them plan their day, mainly to know when they can clean your room, how many day passes they can allow per day, etc...so they aren't violating YOUR time. If you are laying around the pool, yes, they will be cleaning the pool, trimming the bushes, watering the plants, mainly because they have a business to run, and are taking their time and planning it accordingly as not to waste it, as any good business owners do. They will most likely strike up a converstaion with you, and you are more than welcome to talk back. I'm sure if you asked them nicely to be left alone, you are enjoying your quiet, etc, they wouldn't be offended and will go about your business. All the rooms are large and comfortable, with their own bathrooms and view of the property. They all have a sign posted with simple rules of the property, that were also in place with the previous owners. Rules on how to make everyone's visit more enjoyable, please don't empty the ice machine that is for guests to cool your drinks you are taking to the beach, the sheets are changed every other day to help save water, etc. Normal rules for a NORMAL bed and breakfast. Every day you get fresh towels, garbage removed, your bed fixed up, and room straigtened up. In the mornings, there is always fresh coffee, hot tea, waffles, yogurt, fresh fruit, cold cereral, instant oatmeal and grits, milk and juice. Breakfast runs from 6am-10am. The office has a huge selection of movies, both family and adult, that you can view in your room. Any problem, within reason, will be taken care of promptly and courteously, and Paul and Frank will bend over backwards to make your stay a wonderful and memorable one. The entire pool/outdoor area is open air, and there are many, many ashtrays around the property. If you are a non-smoker, there is plenty of space that you needn't be surrounded by smoke. The facility is located about 2 miles from the oceanfront....away from all the hustle and bustle of town. This is one of the major things that drew us to this place. We had no desire to be stuck in town with all the tourists. We are able to hop in the car, take a short drive into town, park, walk, shop, eat, have drinks, party at the clubs, go back and relax in the pool or hot tub without alot of people bothering us.

No not expect any pretentiousness, attitude, or negativity. You will not get any of this from the owners. They will do everything they can, within reason, to make your visit a worthwhile and memorable one. Any questions you have will be answered, and problem will be taken care of. For being such a large facility, being run by 2 people, they handle everything with grace and professionalism.

We have visited through two owners, and we don't care what they look like, how they talk, or what company they keep. We also realize that the owners also call The Rams Head home, they have their apartment in the basement, so it's not only they likelyhood, it's also their life. And they do an excellent job. We will continue to return, summer after summer. And we will sing its praises to our friends, and do our best to bring business to this wonderul place.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Providence, Rhode Island
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

My friend and I would visit Rams Head two or three times a season. On the long ride home, we would discuss all the fun we had and the new friends/acquaintances we made. Not any more, the ride home now is spent complaining about all the nonsense that goes on at Rams Head with the new owners. Their posted rules and constant monitoring/spying on the guests are a big turn off. We never run into old friends there anymore. In fact, on our last visit during a prime summer week, the place was practically empty. I wish the owners would worry more about the basics: housekeeping, landscaping and service and leave us guests alone. If your a chain smoker and want to sit around spying on the other guests with the owners on the front deck, you might like the place.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Rams Head Inn? Share your experiences!