“Don't expect much” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Rams Head Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Rams Head Inn
35006 Warrington Road, Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971   |
New Providence, Pennsylvania
“Don't expect much”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

I read the previous reviews and tried it out anyway. Big mistake. The pool is not heated and unusable late in the season. Housekeeping was poor. The room was poorly furnished in an odd assortment of thrift store pieces. There wasn't even a door on the bathroom. The TV was old and had limited channels. The one owner, Paul, was a pain and I did my best to avoid him.
The price was really high for such an old and poorly serviced inn.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

83 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
McLean, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

This was my first time in a bed and breakfast and my first time in a clothing optional resort. We also had the benefit of being the only guests for the weekend, so we were able to spend a lot of time with the new owners to get to know them.

Upon our arrival, we were both shown to our room. It was very nice and spacious. Of course, we wanted to see all of the other rooms and get a full tour of the place. All of the rooms are very nice. They all have different characters. Some of the rooms have their own entrances to the pool area. Other rooms are part of the original farm house and open into the house. All of the rooms are clean and smoke smell free.

We also learned the house rules. They were all perfectly acceptable and rational. I didn't find them at all restrictive. In fact, I would appreciated all guests following the same rules because they help make the experience enjoyable for everyone. This includes smoking rules (only outside), clothing rules (no nudity inside the public areas of the house...this is appreciated when guests are trying to eat), and...hmm...let's say "activities" which are not allowed in public areas (again, there are some things I just don't want to see).

The new owners are making improvements to the place as well. They are updating the decor and working on the landscaping. They're keeping the place up and making it even cleaner and nicer. Now, I might add, this is not a new, fresh hotel. This is a B&B. You should set your expectations as such. You are a guest in someone's home, literally. The new owners live there YEAR ROUND. That being said, the new owners went out of their way to make us feel like we were welcome. We both felt like we were close friends and family by the time we checked out. When was the last time you were able to say that?

In summary, we felt like we had found a home away from home. The new owners are our new friends, not just the innkeepers. We're definitely going back whenever we need to be with family and need a relaxing weekend away from the city.

Room Tip: The rooms in the old house have access only through the main part of the house. The outside rooms op...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

My partner and I have been to the Rams Head Inn for the 4th time. Each visit gets better!

What to Expect:
When you arrive, you are warmly greeted by Frank and Paul, the owners. They will ask how your trip was, what you plan on doing in Rehoboth, engage some simple chit chat. You know, it's called having a conversation and getting to know your guests. You'll be lead back to the office, finalize your bill, and given you room keys. if it's your first time, you'll be given a tour of the compound, which is very well maintained and full of tropical life. You'll be shown your room, the gym, sauna, pool, pool area, the hottub, and, yes, there is a designated, VERY private area on a far corner of the property that is for having fun. It's a clothing optional gay resort....what do you expect? We enjoy the fact that there is a place for us to explore our exhibitionist side. The owners will ask a few simple questions to help you with your stay, as well as help them to accomodate you as much as possible. They will give you information on recommeded restaurants, stores and shops in town....and will even give you COUPONS!...yes, ways for you to save your money, and places to mention where you are staying to get a discount. Everything they do, they do for a purpose, not to be intrusive or nosey. It helps them plan their day, mainly to know when they can clean your room, how many day passes they can allow per day, etc...so they aren't violating YOUR time. If you are laying around the pool, yes, they will be cleaning the pool, trimming the bushes, watering the plants, mainly because they have a business to run, and are taking their time and planning it accordingly as not to waste it, as any good business owners do. They will most likely strike up a converstaion with you, and you are more than welcome to talk back. I'm sure if you asked them nicely to be left alone, you are enjoying your quiet, etc, they wouldn't be offended and will go about your business. All the rooms are large and comfortable, with their own bathrooms and view of the property. They all have a sign posted with simple rules of the property, that were also in place with the previous owners. Rules on how to make everyone's visit more enjoyable, please don't empty the ice machine that is for guests to cool your drinks you are taking to the beach, the sheets are changed every other day to help save water, etc. Normal rules for a NORMAL bed and breakfast. Every day you get fresh towels, garbage removed, your bed fixed up, and room straigtened up. In the mornings, there is always fresh coffee, hot tea, waffles, yogurt, fresh fruit, cold cereral, instant oatmeal and grits, milk and juice. Breakfast runs from 6am-10am. The office has a huge selection of movies, both family and adult, that you can view in your room. Any problem, within reason, will be taken care of promptly and courteously, and Paul and Frank will bend over backwards to make your stay a wonderful and memorable one. The entire pool/outdoor area is open air, and there are many, many ashtrays around the property. If you are a non-smoker, there is plenty of space that you needn't be surrounded by smoke. The facility is located about 2 miles from the oceanfront....away from all the hustle and bustle of town. This is one of the major things that drew us to this place. We had no desire to be stuck in town with all the tourists. We are able to hop in the car, take a short drive into town, park, walk, shop, eat, have drinks, party at the clubs, go back and relax in the pool or hot tub without alot of people bothering us.

No not expect any pretentiousness, attitude, or negativity. You will not get any of this from the owners. They will do everything they can, within reason, to make your visit a worthwhile and memorable one. Any questions you have will be answered, and problem will be taken care of. For being such a large facility, being run by 2 people, they handle everything with grace and professionalism.

We have visited through two owners, and we don't care what they look like, how they talk, or what company they keep. We also realize that the owners also call The Rams Head home, they have their apartment in the basement, so it's not only they likelyhood, it's also their life. And they do an excellent job. We will continue to return, summer after summer. And we will sing its praises to our friends, and do our best to bring business to this wonderul place.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Providence, Rhode Island
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

My friend and I would visit Rams Head two or three times a season. On the long ride home, we would discuss all the fun we had and the new friends/acquaintances we made. Not any more, the ride home now is spent complaining about all the nonsense that goes on at Rams Head with the new owners. Their posted rules and constant monitoring/spying on the guests are a big turn off. We never run into old friends there anymore. In fact, on our last visit during a prime summer week, the place was practically empty. I wish the owners would worry more about the basics: housekeeping, landscaping and service and leave us guests alone. If your a chain smoker and want to sit around spying on the other guests with the owners on the front deck, you might like the place.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
New York, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

I really enjoy going to clothing optional gay guesthouses and have had many wonderful and relaxing vacations at such places as The Hacienda in Palm Springs, Pineapple Point in Ft. Lauderdale and Villa Rainbow in St. Martin. I cut my stay short at the Rams Head Inn, however, because it was so unpleasant. I had read some of the mixed reviews on this site before I booked, but I wish I had read a little more between the lines of some of the negative reviews. I should mention at the outset that there were a few other guests there who appeared to be enjoying themselves, so Rams Head Inn is one of those places that may be one person’s cup of tea but not another’s. It was not mine, and I gave up part of my vacation and the money I had pre-paid in order to get away from this place early.

Room

The room was clean-ish but in dire need of a makeover. There was a stale scent in the air so the first thing I did as I was getting settled was purchase some Fabreze. The décor was an odd assortment of leftover pieces arranged efficiently but without much care. The shower contained one dispenser of something vaguely soapy that I guess was meant for both hair and body, but frankly I have come across better personal care products in a gas station men’s room. All in all, the room provides the bare minimum of comfort, nothing beyond, and certainly is not good value for money.

Breakfast

Rams Head Inn is not really service oriented, and their approach to breakfast is illustrative. My first morning I had to fend for myself for breakfast as no one was really around to assist. There was some stuff out and I was able to piece something together, but it was not until I was basically finished that one of the owners showed up to put out most of the food and beverages. Again, this was bare minimum stuff and not what I’ve come to expect from gay guesthouses and at these room rates. There is also much clutter in the food areas that does not seem to interfere with the cleanliness of the food but does not inspire much confidence.

Pool area

Typically, I enjoy wasting a day lounging by the clothing optional pool reading a book, dozing and taking occasional swims. Rams Head Inn does not provide a relaxing atmosphere. As others have reported, one of the owners (Paul) is somewhat of a voyeur. His behavior while I was there was quite aggressive and included constant – constant – lurking and watching. He even awakened me from a nap to say hello and hover over me smoking a cigarette. I thought by remaining aloof to this behavior I was sending a message that I was not interested, but it only became more and more overt until eventually he was without clothing and visibly “interested.” No matter where I turned, there was Paul. Even when he is not visible you figure out pretty quickly he has created some hiding places where he can look through plants or railings to watch, thinking he is not being seen. There is more I wish I could report but cannot without violating TripAdvisor’s guidelines. Let’s just say Paul really enjoyed his own company in the pool area. I am no prude, but this was beyond the pale, especially from one of the owners who has his own written guidelines in the room about what behavior is acceptable in the public areas of the Inn and which guidelines he points out when he gives you the tour. There simply was no ignoring what was going on, in violation of the facility’s own policies, no matter how hard I tried.

I also was not aware that the Rams Head Inn sells day passes to the pool area. This policy introduces a different dynamic to the facility that further disrupts the ability to relax. At least one of the day pass guys appeared to be there for more than the hot tub as he paraded around, also visibly “interested.”

I have no judgment about any of this behavior. I realize some people may read this review and find the possibility of a stay at the Rams Head Inn quite appealing, and that is fantastic. I would not discourage anyone from going who wants to have this kind of time. I, on the other hand, work hard and like to chill without interference and wish I had understood better what to expect before I made the reservation.

Rehoboth Beach

This was my first visit to Rehoboth Beach, and it was unfortunately marred and shortened by my experience at the Rams Head Inn. I hope to visit again one day and have more to report.

Room Tip: The Wessex/Essex/Sussex rooms appear to be the best
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

We have been to RH several times over the years. This year was the worst. The place has gotten so old and outdated. The pool was dirty with leaves/bugs and weeds were everywhere. Found the owners to be intrusive and rude. Housekeeping was poor but the breakfast was excellent. There weren't many rooms occupied, maybe because of the place being so overpriced.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

The owners reminded me of prison guards, always watching and making rounds. Paul was especially a pain and rude, telling one guest "I don't care what you think, this in my place". Maybe that is why so few rooms were occupied.
The pool was full of bugs and leaves. There were weeds everywhere and a big snake was hanging around near the outside shower.
Bring your own cleaning supplies if you want a clean room and shampoo/soap, as the ones they provide are industrial.
The only good think was the coffee and breakfast.
This was hardly enough to make up for this old overpriced inn.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Been to Rams Head Inn? Share your experiences!