“Good Value - Great Location” 4 of 5 stars

Brighton Suites Hotel
34 Wilmington Ave., Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971   |
Ranked #16 of 29 Hotels in Rehoboth Beach
Maryland
“Good Value - Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2009

We are a family of four, we have two small children under the age of 4. We decided to take a short family vacation to Rehoboth Beach, and we had a great time. We stayed from Friday afternoon, to Saturday morning.

What I liked:
HOTEL - I liked that the hotel was within walking distance of the beach. And parallel to the main strip (just one street over).
PARKNG - They have free parking for guests of the hotel (they give you a receipt that you put in your car's dashboard), parking is a short distance around the corner and underground within the same block.
STAFF - The hotel staff were *very* nice and friendly--which was especially nice since it was obvious they were renovating....when you go on vacation and you see wallpaper peeling and blue tape on the walls for painting, you start to wonder if this is representative of the staff, and it wasn't.
ROOM - Our room was what I call sufficient, we were located on the fourth floor. I like that we had a suite - it gave room for our children to play and run around in our own space. The place was clean for hotel standards (more about this later). Additionally, I liked that they had a DVD player (we forgot our DVDs though), and that they had a microwave, a refrigerator, and a sink in the living room area. Really handy for quick snacks and such. The bedroom had a king bed, nightstands, and it's own TV which was nice. The bed was comfortable to me, to my husband it was hard. They have extra pillows across from the bathroom on a high shelf if you need it. Plenty of bathroom towels and rags.
INDOOR POOL - The pool was nicely laid out (according to my husband), and the water was warm for swimming. They have beach towels in the area for you to use so you don't have to use your room towels. The roof deck was pretty nice too, very spacious with tables, chairs, and lounge chairs.
BEACH PROXIMITY - As I said before the beach is very close, maybe about a block away. For the price I found this ok. There are other hotels that line the boardwalk and I had no problem with where we were. There are little shops all around on the way to the beach, and if you want there is parking closer to the beach (if you don't want to take the short walk, however parking may be full).

What I didn't like:
OVERALL REVIEW - I'm sharing this not to shoot down the hotel, but just to give a well-rounded review. I didn't like the tight parking space in the garage, but was grateful it was there (and free). I didn't like our room's carpet in that I felt like it was at times "dirty", or maybe I was slightly paranoid because I have kids who constantly play on the floor. So I was frequently telling my kids to stop playing there. The couch was the same way. But there wasn't any visible trash in either place, but I often wonder what I would see if I had a blacklight (the carpet is dark blue, the couch a brown color). The rerfrigerator didn't really keep things as cold as I'd like (we even changed the dial), no freezer portion.

Things to note: They have morning coffee in the lobby (we didn't drink it, but thought I'd share that), no pastries...so there's no continental breakfast. They have an envelope in your room on one of the tables so you can tip housekeeping. The pool, vending machines, pool deck, fitness center, etc. are on the third floor.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2009

We were very pleased with Brighton Suites. All the staff members we met were friendly and helpful. Our room was clean but not fancy, and the bathroom had been nicely updated- everything looked new- faucets, tile, shower curtain, etc. The lobby was being remodeled while we were there and it appears as if it will be very attractive when complete. I liked being able to open the large window in the bedroom and breathe in the sea air. My kids loved the pool and the sun deck was pleasant. Breakfast at Sammie's downstairs was included and the food was good. The six pack of Dogfish Head beer waiting on the counter in our room for us was a very nice touch. The hotel's location was perfect. The beach was only a block away and there were wonderful shops and places to eat within easy walking distance. We are planning to return in 2010.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2009

The Good: My husband and I booked one night here at Brighton Suites and overall had a fairly decent stay. I will say that the rooms are VERY dated, yet everything is clean, which is very important to us. Lots of fresh towels, clean crisp bed linens, fluffy pillows, etc. The bed was comfortable and the nicest touch was that each room had a 2 DVD players! We bought our Netflix movies b/c we arrived late saturday evening. What a sigh of relief to be able to pop the DVD in and relax in a comfortable bed! There was a sliding glass door in the room, sans balcony. We slept with it open to let the rehoboth breeze and fresh air flow thru. It was beautiful to hear the birds chirping and the sun shining thru in the morning. Also, they have a beautiful, large sundeck that we went out on and it overlooked the street below. Best of all...... It's a block and a half away from the beach!!!!

The Questionable: We could hear the neighbors in the room next door. It wasn't real loud and we couldn't hear any details of their conversation, but we could definitely hear them. The shower head, as someone said in a previous review, was rusty and calcified! Since we only stayed one evening, both of us decided to pretend we were in a third world country and just wash up in the sink. To us, this was the only real inconvenience in the room. Second, my husband decided to go vending and got an expired Dole OJ out of the vending machine. It was brown :(.

I think majority of my fear came from what I read on this site... We are planning on bringing our daughters here next month for a long weekend and seriously considering staying at the Brighton again. Besides, who goes to rehoboth to spend ALL their time out on the beach??? Get out and enjoy the main strip and the beautiful beach!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Mount Airy, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2008

My family has been coming here every summer for over 10 years. Just recently we added a winter trip as well. The staff treats us like family. We couldn't ask for better service. We have seen many changes over the years to the accomodations and they are continuing with their improvements over the winter. The location is perfect, just a short walk to the beach and the boardwalk. There are lots of close restaurants nearby and Sammy's diner is right outside the door. Their food is great and their service can't be beat. The hotel is perfect for a family stay, of course there are times when you can hear some noise from the people around you, but this is to be expected, afterall you aren't home you are in a hotel. If the noise ever gets to be too much, a phone call to the front desk will have someone coming up to investigate and to take care of it. We love the hotel and plan to keep coming back for years to come!!!

• Liked — The hotel staff can't be beat.
  • Disliked — The pool could be a bit bigger.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Baltimore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2008

I stayed here October 20-22. I took advantage of the midweek shopping trip special. It gave me a good price on the room, a gift card for the Tanger Outlets, a coupon book, tote bag, and "free breakfast" at Sammy's Kitchen. I received the gift card then was given a coupon to take to the outlets for them to give me the coupon book, because the coupon books take up too much room at the hotel, according to the woman at the front desk. It is a shame I never found the location to take that coupon. I found the outlet mall, but no office to redeem my coupon for the book. The free breakfast was not actually free, but a $7 coupon off your breakfast. There's no decent breakfast combo for under $7 on the menu at Sammy's. I don't blame Sammy's though as the service was top notch and the breakfast was served, hot fast, and was delicious. I recommend the french toast or the country fried steak.

The hotel itself was ok. The area to your room is kind of like an enclosed atrium. Apparently though it contains no heat and was frigid. The room was alright, but the light switches controlled all outlets, thus the tv didn't work unless I turned on the switch. The room contained 2 televisions, but only one remote. The alarm clock in the room was kind of lame. Not very loud, and seemed extremely cheap. The also didn't know how to make a bed. There was a mattress pad on top of the king size mattress, but the fitted sheet was around just the pad, not the pad and the mattress, so if you move in your sleep, the mattress pad moves, and you find yourself either with a huge crease under you or sleeping straight on the rubber topped mattress, which led to two very uncomfortable nights. I eventually slept on top of the sheets. The rooms are significantly smaller than the pictures shown, I don't know if it was just my room or what. The shower took forever to get hot and the head looked rusted and calcified. The toilet also seemed to be under pressured. And to finish it off, the maid left an envelope for a tip, which is fine. i wasn't fine with the fact that it was clearly a used envelope, as in it was sealed and then ripped open...as in licked shut by a stranger. This was not cool. I was hoping the reviews I read on here were just isolated cases, but I could, without a doubt not be shocked by someones baby finding a razor blade in the room and such horrors after finding a licked envelope left for me to use too.

• Liked — The wifi was decent, and the food at Sammy's Kitchen was good
  • Disliked — the seeming lack of care\
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
dallastown,pa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2008

I have to admit I was a little concerned because I read the other reviews here on Tripadvisor after I had made my reservation. After spending a long weekend at the Brighton Suites in Rehoboth Beach however, I have to report my family (wife and 2 little kids) had a great time. The staff at the desk were friendly and helpful and housekeeping did a fine job with the room . As some other reviews noted the place is old and certainly does need some work done i.e carpeting, tile and fixtures in bathrooms ect. but it is kept clean. There is a nice little pool and sun deck on the 3rd floor and free video rentals at the main desk. The location is great,within walking distance to the beach, DogfishHead and eveything downtown. All things considered I would not hesitate to take my family there again.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — weathered facilities
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2008

On Sept. 19, 2008 in the evening we went to Brighton Suites to check in. We had reservations. We parked in lobby level parking garage handicap spot. BJ checked us in and told us we had to move car to basement level lot because they had vans coming in the baseball teams and they needed all the spots for their vans. She stated all cars would be told to park in the basement. I stated I had a handicap placard and she reiterated they needed all the spots on that floor because their vans would not fit in the basement spots. I walked out to calm down. I came back in and talked to Rose and her explained that BJ did not put that right and they needed that bigger spot for a conversion van if one came in. She said she needed a bigger spot if someone was in a wheel chair. (which I am not in) We moved our car but the handicap spots are so tight in the basement I wasn't able to open my door completely and with my handicap this made it difficult to squeeze out. After dinner I checked the lobby lot and there were several cars in lobby lot. I thought to myself that BJ said they needed all the spots for the big baseball team vans. I told Rose I did not want to stay there the 2 nights I had reserved and she told us that if she could sell our room we would not have to pay for the second night. It did get sold so we were let out of our 2nd night. Spoke to Lisa (manager) next day and told her the above story and she had me fill out a complaint form against BJ and gave me a box of salt water taffy for my trouble. The next day the lobby lot was still filled with cars and not vans.

The hotel was very dirty. The room was very small for a person with a disability. The room was as far away from the elevator as it could get and I was forced to walk that distance or use the staircase next to the room. All the tiny bottles of shampoo, conditioner, lotion, ect. were half empty. Everything was falling apart.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Discriminated against me having a handicap so able bodied baseball players (large group) could have parking,
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Brighton Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!