“What a great find, great staff, great location, great pool, great extras!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Brighton Suites Hotel

You added Brighton Suites Hotel to your Saves list
Brighton Suites Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   34 Wilmington Ave., Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971   |
Ranked #14 of 29 Hotels in Rehoboth Beach
Rockville, Maryland
“What a great find, great staff, great location, great pool, great extras!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

This weekend my wife and I decided to take our family, including both sets of our parents and my sister-in-law to the beach for some extra family time. I booked a vacation rental house by owner off of Bay Vista Road which, while not a premium location, was a great bang for the buck. Of course it would have been an even better deal if the owner ever showed up to let us into the property or answered his phone or e-mail.

So, at 4:30 p.m. on a Friday I needed another house or 4 hotel rooms. My dad was in downtown Rehoboth when I told him we needed alternate arrangements and he happened to be walking by the Brighton Suites Hotel, so he went in to inquire. Not only was JJ, the manager on duty very helpful, they gave us a small break on the price since we needed 4 rooms in a pinch. We checked out the rooms; they were fine, so we booked it and we were home for the weekend.

This is a difficult hotel to describe. First, it is family owned and operated, which is a plus for me . . . usually. The lobby, guest rooms, pool and amenities are everything you would expect from a nice hotel chain. All of the rooms are suites, which was quite nice. The only odd part about the hotel is the main hallways on the floor which are, well, old. This has nothing to do with the hotel or the management, just a fact that the building is not new. Because of the design of the hotel, updating the main hallways would be very difficult . . . and remarkably expensive. It probably is planned. This being said, I would not let the old hallways get in the way of me staying at the Brighton Suites Hotel again . . . and neither should you.

In any event, we needed four rooms and took 3 queen suites and 1 king suite. Despite the main hallways being old, the rooms were perfectly clean and up-to-date. The furnishings were clean, simple and well-maintained. The queen beds all were new and most comfortable. Unfortunately, because of our sleeping needs, I slept on the pull-out sofa in the living room of one of the suites; it was exactly what you would expect from a pull-out sofa. Fortunately, the room came with lots of nice pillows to help get comfortable. Each of the rooms had a nice little kitchen with a refrigerator and a lovely bathroom. It was clear that all of the bathrooms were brand new. The air conditioning worked great and the room was clean.

To top off an already nice hotel, what you notice the most about this place is how nice, helpful, attentive and well-trained most of the staff is. JJ and Steve were on duty when we arrived (and much of the weekend), along with two nice young porters from Bulgaria (I think). Among the 4 of them, you couldn't get over how accommodating and helpful they were. In fact, I think the excellent staff makes this place stand out a bit more than most other hotels. What's more, we LOVED the fact that this hotel provides all sorts of nice extras. As we were checking in JJ just happened to mention, that the hotel also provides guests with beach towels, beach chairs, beach umbrellas and pool towels . . . for free! We were there early in the season (June), but everything was in new or very good condition. I didn't even have to dirty up the towels that I brought with me!!

If the nice room, good staff, and perfect location don’t do it for you, try a dip in the perfect temperature pool in the late afternoon followed by some free Wi-Fi surfing to find the right place for dinner.

So, this place was a great find and we definitely will stay here again. Being only a block and a half from the beach, we didn't use our car the entire time we were there, didn't feed one meter (nor have to run back to re-feed the meter).

Thanks for the Brighton Suites Hotel for saving what otherwise could have been a debacle of a weekend.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Baltimore, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

I just got back from my 3 night stay at the Brighton Suites. After reading all of the reviews, I wanted to add my thoughts. First of all, people need to keep in mind that this is not a five star hotel, so you will not have 5 star accommodations. I was able to check in a few hours earlier then the posted check in time and the woman at the front desk was very friendly. The staff was friendly and helpful throughout my stay. The rooms were clean and pretty spacious. The bathroom had some really nice finishes and the shower was amazing. The water temperature was very easy to adjust and the pressure was great. The location was perfect. It was a 2 or so blocks from the beach and a block over from Rehoboth Avenue, where there are a lot of shops and restaurants.

Our bedroom overlooked Wilimington Ave, which gets a lot of foot traffic, so at night, it did get a little loud from outside. Also, the sliding glass door did not open well at all, seemed like it was off the tracks. I did not care about this because it was almost 100 degrees and did not want to open it anyway.

The Free Wi-Fi in the room had a pretty strong signal, which was good for me, so I could get a little work done.

The indoor pool is nice and relaxing. My 3 year old loved it after a few hours on the beach, but it is very small.

My 3 nights, Wed, Thur and Friday cost me about $550, which seems a little pricey but for the location and room type, it was right around the price range for all other hotels, yet, this was a suite.

Overall, it was a great stay, I will be taking my family back next year.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2011

I will admit that it needs a little updating, but it was reasonable. It was a very close walk to the beach. Staff was very accomadating told us where to go for what we were looking for. I thought the balcony would be bigger..it was basically a sliding glass window with a railing but it was nice to smell the ocean breeze. The room was a good size with great pillows and bed...the best sleep I've gotten in awhile!

• Stayed May 2011
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2011

Just home today: Excellent stay. We did the homework with Tripadvisor reviews. It's an old motel that's been renovated and, for instance, in the bathrooms, had all the brass and tile changed out to brushed aluminum and marble. Good everything; not great (towels are thick but frayed; comforters need to be changed; televisions are old-timey). Good strong free WiFi for Netflix.

Motel layout: Three floors of atrium suites--probably 60 suites all told, twin bed or sing sized mattress suites, we did the king. I have a video on youtube under my name jeffhfromoxford. Search by this and name of hotel at google. Suite description: Slide-card locks (nice touch), one inner room with TV/DVD cabinet with drawers (same in bedroom), one pull-out couch, a desk thing in the corner and a wet bar (nice!). Two close friends of ours could conceivably stay here with us for a night, maybe two. A lot of good space, though, for two people. This is what makes Brighton a good idea: the suite-thing. You get good space. Comfortable enough. Good clean bathroom, updated fixtures as I said, good quality shampoo (in spite of mediocre packaging). Good-sized bedroom with nice mattresses and plenty of extra pillows (due to pull-out in other room). Slider door in bedroom, no porch, good for fresh air (if you know what I mean). Pool is on 3rd floor (4th floor has a half-wing of suites) and is small, bathwater warm, and very clean. Good for parents with small kids and middle aged chill-outs. Teens will be easily bored here. Gym is not worth using: one old bike and a long-broken elliptical, plus a 1980's nautilus weight-contraption thing. Good gym with daily and weekly rates across the street--find and call on google maps. Pool towels were not always available when we were there. Cleaning crew and front desk staff are exceptionally nice; place is overall very clean. We did a three-night weekday special (Sun to Wed: $280) and we had the town to ourselves, the beach was lightly populated, and the hotel was incredibly quiet. There's a good white-noise AC system, and an inner door at the bedroom, so we hope when we return in July (five weeknight special: 1100 bucks) it will be equally quiet. Parking is excellent in their two-level free garage. There are a number of excellent restaurants for all your meals within a couple hundred yards.

Two tips: 1) Rent your beach chairs and umbrellas down at the beach; carrying them is a real drag, and it's easier to walk on and off and have the rental people hold your beach real estate. 2) If you like to drink a couple of drinks before your meal, you're going to be doing it at the bars since there is no liquor store in the downtown three-block area. Just saying: if you want a drink in your room (we liked the Purple Parrot and the Irish Eyes and liked people-watching), plan ahead and bring something from home.

General Notes: Rehoboth is a better idea than other places for rootless cosmopolitan elites (as childless mid-40s open-minded couples like us are identified in the old-people medium of television). The Rehoboth demo is a little eclectic, always safe, fun to watch and interact with, and the restaurants are excellent (and EXPENSIVE--our fave, Planet X, across the street, is 30 an entree--usually a buck and a half for a late, 9 PM dinner for us two). So for us Rehoboth is better than drunk college kids (Dewey), teenagers driving us crazy (Ocean City), or cliched/stereotypical couples with older kids and pleated-front shorts, cell phone belt holders, tucked-in shirts, and a propensity for tube socks (Fenwick, Lewes). Brighton Suites is close to everything and that's important because driving your car in the summer is a nightmare in Rehoboth; we bring bikes and lock them to our car in the garage for jaunts to farther-away restaurants and workouts; there's a good bike rental place within 100 feet of the hotel. You're gonna be walking everywhere, and this palce is close to where ever you're going. Rehoboth is very dog-friendly but we don't bring ours due to the crowds and heat.

Room Tip: One word: weekdays!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Lewes, Delaware
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

While sleeping, received a front desk call at 8:00am requesting I move my car out of the parking garage so that garage cleaning could take place. I think that I could have been advised of this the day before, during checkin. I could have parked out in the street at that point rather than be disturbed. Very unproffesional and poor customer satisfaction!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2011

Spacious with separate living and sleeping spaces. Great location near the town center and beach. Staff was really helpful, turned us on to a great happy hour at Fins bar.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

We stayed at Brighton Suites for a couple of nights in Septmeber

Rooms in need of a refurb but otherwise , staff friendly ,& helpful . Large hotel with carpark underneath. Lots of guests and everything in walking distance of the hotel.

Beach wonderful and lots of restaurants within walking distance. Towels, chairs and umbrellas available for the beach and reception area spacey and organised.

All in all a good stay