“Loveed it!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 29 hotels in Rehoboth Beach
Annapolis, MD
“Loveed it!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

On a whim we decided to head to the beach for the weekend. When our daughter was growing up we used to put up with Ocean City, MD. Now that she’s grown we hadn’t to OC in years….electing instead for the Caribbean for our beach fix. But we only had 2 days so we decided to check out Rehoboth and we were pleased to find the Boardwalk Hotel on the Trip Advisor site. I didn’t think a hotel this nice existed in Rehoboth. We booked a room on the 4th floor, their concierge floor, which doesn’t allow any kids. We were greeted by a very nice staff. Our room had 2 very comfortable beds and a separate small living room. Both rooms had TVs/DVD player. There was a tiny balcony with chairs and the delightful sound of the ocean.

The hotel was built in 1991 but everything looked brand new and very clean. My experience in Atlantic City, NJ and Ocean City, MD is that the property owners don’t reinvest in their properties and they become run-down. The owners of the Boardwalk clearly take pride in their property. They also take pride in the guest experience, for example they turn off the ice makers at night so the noise doesn’t interrupt the other guests. (You can still get ice at the restaurant or basement level.) The hotel is ornate and has lots of nice touches, definitely not the impersonal feel of a chain hotel.

The hotel is in a great location 2 blocks from town and right on the boardwalk and the beach. The room included an umbrella rental on the beach. The beach is spacious and nice. I just wish Rehoboth didn’t allow smoking on the beach. It was hard to find a spot where someone’s smoke wasn’t wafting our way. The restaurant offered pub food and a full scale restaurant menu. The restaurant manger was great and so was his staff. The food was also very good. You’d be hard pressed to find a better run hotel on the shore. We really enjoy the vibe of Rehoboth and this hotel. Can’t wait to go back.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

437 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Dearborn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

Having just read another recent review that was extremely negative I cannot believe we are talking about the same place. My husband and I were traveling with 3 teenagers and the staff could not have been nicer or more accomodating. We had such a great time despite the unseasonably cold weather for June. Although the pool was a "spa pool" the kids enjoyed it very much and despite the rule of "no kids after 8 pm" for adult swim, since there were no other adults wanting quiet time, they were allowed to stay. The pool stayed open all night and was a highlight for our group. The food was fabulous. We had an oceanfront suite with a beautiful balcony and view. The evening bartender was wonderful and even brought the kids sodas at the pool at no charge to the room. We thought the Boardwalk Plaza was wonderful and I would highly recommend it based on our experience.

New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2009

We thought we were going to a "4 Diamond" resort and that is not what we experienced. We do have children and very well behave at that. The staff stared us down every time we walk through the lobby. The indoor/outdoor pool was a joke and the beds were terrible and rooms were small. The one nice person was a nice tall man at the desk. The problem was is that he was just there when we checked in. When checking out I had a question and the OLD lady at the front desk was plan nasty. My husband and I travel extensively and were told this is a hotel for well traveled adults, they have to be kidding. Don't waste your time or money. Best part is the location, but there were other hotels that would be just as satisfying. We loved Rehoboth and would really love to come back, however, we will not be staying at the Boardwalk.

Northern Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

My kids (12 & 8) and I stayed at the Boardwalk Plaza Hotel for a 3 day impromptu visit to the beach. The hotel was perfect for our specific desires: right on the beach; roomy and comfortable; and within walking distance to fun, kid centered activities, plenty of parking.

The staff was wonderful from the first moment we arrived. They bent over backwards to be helpful.

The decor reminded me of a B&B catering to adults, but this hotel is very child friendly. There are talking parrots in the lobby that my kids loved, there is a box full of sand toys, boogie boards and other beach stuff available for your use. You can sign out nice plush beach towels and right in front of the hotel is a place to rent chairs and umbrellas ($20.00/day for two sturdy, comfy chairs and an umbrella) The staff are really nice to children, my kids LOVED this place!

As soon as you walk out of the hotel the boardwalk and the beach are in front of you. If you have toddlers, and you don't want to walk far for naps or snacks, this is your place. For people with tweens, like me, the hotel's location is wonderful. Arcades and a small carnival are a five minute walk away. Restaurants and beach food are right there: Retro Cafe has awesome Cranberry Pancakes, Thrashers French Fries are a hop skip and a jump and try the ice cream at 70 flavors including bacon, celery and playdough :) It's a perfect place to unpack and unwind and have fun with your family.

The only downside for us was the miniscule pool. It is truely tiny. But since we were there for the beach, it didn't matter.

We were very happy with the Boardwalk Plaza Hotel and recommend it to anyone!

New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2009

We stayed for a week in the suite with the kitchenette. My husband, 2 year old daughter, and I at 6 months pregnant. We loved everything. The staff attended to all of our needs and my toddler's quirky whims. The kitchenette was large, with a dishwasher, stovetop, full-size refrigerator, plenty of cabinets (with dishes, silverware, cookware, etc), and a microwave. I liked the fact that my husband could stay up late in the front room watching TV (and the ocean) while the kitchen separated him from my daughter and I who go to bed early. The front room also had a pull out couch. The bathroom had a jacuzzi tub. It was connected to the kitchen if that bothers anyone (it didn't bother us, but I know some people are sensitive to that).

The room was towards the center of the hotel facing the ocean. What a view!

We ordered ALOT of breakfast room service and never had to wait more than 20 minutes. We are vegetarians and they agreeably made dishes that I asked for that weren't on the menu (like a vegetable omelet). The only thing I didn't like about the food was the lack of vegetarian/healthier options for lunch and dinner. We mostly ate outside the hotel for dinner.

The location is great for young kids because we could walk to the arcade and the beach. However, I do prefer quieter "upscale" hotels that I suppose may not be labeled "family-friendly". If you prefer a large swimming pool, child-centered activities, and a more laid-back atmosphere this hotel may not be for you. But if you want good service in an establishment that welcomes families (even if it doesn't overtly cater to them), then I highly recommend the Boardwalk Plaza.

Oh, we did save quite a bit of money on what is an expensive room by going the week right after Memorial Day. It was also very enjoyable at that time because the activities on Rehoboth Beach had just opened, but the large throngs of people hadn't arrived yet. If you don't like big crowds I highly recommend going at the end of May/early June.

I can't wait to go back next year!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2009

[--]

Stayed here on Memorial Day weekend. One of the best locations on the beach in Rehoboth. Rooms were OK. Decor a little dated, but no big deal.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2009

We came down for a 4 day long weekend and reserved the concierge level ocean front suite. The door to the balcony was never shut the whole time we were there - the ocean was so loud and fabulous! Service at the hotel was wondeful. In fact, there was an obnoxious group of women who basically ruined our Saturday night dinner by "singing" along to the piano player at the top of their lungs (and there was no talent there!) and the management apoligized for them and took some money off our dinner bill. Hotel is in a great location that cannot be beat!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family

Been to Boardwalk Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!