“Nice staff, good value but sites were too small for me!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Big Oaks Family Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Prices are for rooms, adults
Big Oaks Family Campground
Save Saved
You added Big Oaks Family Campground to your Saves list
35567 Big Oak Lane, Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971   |
Bristol, Connecticut
“Nice staff, good value but sites were too small for me!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

If you are looking for a place to stay near Rehoboth Beach and plan to spend most of your time in rehoboth, this place will be fine for you - to sleep, get ready, etc.

If you have a family with little ones, there is a nice pool and playground, etc for children. So that will work for you.

If you are looking to spend a good amount of time on the campsite to do all of those camping things - sit around fire, cook etc - these are very very tight quarters for tent camping. I have been to many campsites and have never been to one that is as small as this. Like literally on top of each other. For me it was too much. We spent a lot of the days biking or in rehoboth beach. I couldn't imagine spending the whole day on site.

It depends on what you are looking for and how important space is for you. Otherwise great staff, good location, etc.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
campbigoaks, Manager at Big Oaks Family Campground, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
We’re sorry that our campground wasn’t for you. Land is at a premium in this area and you can only afford to provide a limited amount of space for each site. For those who spend the day on site, we do have a swimming pool, shaded playground, game room, adult lounge, and free wi-fi, as well as activities every Saturday.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Camillus, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Just want to comment on the politeness of Dana on the phone while taking reservations.She was so patient while I tried to figure out when was the best time for me. Helpful by answering questions and telling me about the campsite and ways of different transportation to the beach. The best part was she answered the phone while the office was closed. I have been camping for years and I really expected a Please call back tomorrow, or after giving me the available dates, a How about you look over the dates and call back tomorrow. Both of these would have been fine, but she did better. So I decided to write a review and hope to follow up with another after our vacation in August.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Customer service is very important to us and we are so glad you had a positive experience. Now that August is finally here, we hope to see you soon!
Adelphi, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for the first time in 2005, looking for an alternative to the seriously over-priced hotels in the area. We have been back every year since then. every summer i cannot wait to go to the beach, then come back and sit on the porch, read my book under the cool canopy of the trees and sit by the fire. Love the shop, the pool, the shuffle board, everything. Its an all around great place to stay and the staff are always friendly and welcoming. After bringing our first child their last year for the first time and laying with her on a blanket outside the cabin and watching the trees sway, I can say that we all look forward to coming every summer. A family Tradition for years to come!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
We are excited that you have chosen our location for your family vacations! We love being able to provide a nice, affordable place for people to vacation and look forward to see you for years to come.
Wilmington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Ok, I've been going here for about 20 years now. Yes, it's tight and small. Maneuvering through the campground pulling a trailer can be tough, but it's not the end of the world. I've never had any problems with the owners. In fact, they have gone out of their way to help me when needed. I'm camping, period! Treat the owners the same way you'd like to be treated, it works mostly everywhere. The place is clean but gets a little dirty after a weekend. You need to give the people time to clean up and stay on top of it. It doesn't say "RESORT" out front. The bike trails are outstanding and will take you right into Rehoboth if you are into working up a sweat. It's a place to sleep, shower and poop then I'm on my way to all the Rehoboth attractions. I had to laugh at the reviewer who said he had a new trailer and damaged the bumper when leaving because of the tight site he was in. He went on to blame the campground. Really? If you don't know how to maneuver a camper in tight spots, you shouldn't have one. One word, "spotter". It works well for those situations. For the rest of you whiners, stay in a motel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the review Joe! Camping isn’t for everybody, but as you mentioned, we work hard to provide a nice campground for our customers. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you for years to come!
middle of nowhere-PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

I decided to write a review of this campground after reading some of the recent negative reviews because this campground does not deserve them! This really is a nice place.
We visited Big Oaks in July 2012 and found the place to be clean, well managed and in a great location close enought to ride our bikes to the beach.This is the kind of place my parents took us to growing up there was nice pool, clean bathrooms and great playgrounds. The staff was professional, helpful and the place seemed to be family run.
I think the problem is that many people are not doing enough research about their destination before they book. First off this is a campground not a Luxury RV Resort!!! So if you are looking for extra wide spaces, a bar and 5 star resort amenites this isn't the place for you. Second, if you are booking a camping cabin don't expect it to be a hotel room because it's not one! If you dont expect to "rough it" a little go to a hotel!
Next, bathrooms our camp site was close to the large set of bathrooms and we saw them being cleaned at least twice a day and found them adequate to meet our needs. I feel the campgroud does their part to maintain the property and you can't falt them in other campers don't have common bathrom curtesy. My bathroom comments are: yes there was a cracked light fixture that attracted bugs but you are camping so expect to see a few bugs.Also some hooks in the showers to hang towels or belongings on would be helpful as the benches provided are often wet.
So folks if you are looking for a nice safe place to camp don't be afraid to book Big Oaks If you are looking for hotel style amenites book a hotel!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the review! We are a family-run campground, going into the fourth generation now and we work very hard to maintain the property to provide a nice environment for our customers. We will be putting hooks into the restrooms, and appreciate the suggestion. Hope to see you again soon!
Washington, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

My husband and I took our first RV trip to Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. We stayed at Big Oaks Family Campground, August 26 - 31.

Check-in was easy and simple. We had our RV and also were pulling a trailer. They came out and helped direct us (backing up in entryway) so we could more easily get into our spot. They allowed us to leave trailer on grassy area near our sight for our convenience. Then they helped us move the trailer to a more convenient location with their tractor (a lot easier than hitching it back up).

It was our first experience, and not a bad one. My husband felt the grounds could be a bit nicer; more grass, a little more manicured, but no big deal. There was a lot of sand, maybe that's typical, I don't know, but it certainly tracked into the RV.

I'm sure we'll be back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
We’re glad that your first RV trip went so well! This close to the beach, it is typical for the soil to be very sandy, which isn’t very conducive to growing grass. We hope to see you again soon!
Pennsilvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

We stayed there on a cabin. We checked in on a Thursday and checked out on a Friday. We called Thursday morning around noon to ask if we could check in early since I thought probably the cabin was available and clean. I was told that the cabins were not ready yet but they will be at 3 p.m (official check in time). I could not believe that during a weekday none of their cabins was available for early check in, to me it sounded as though they did not allow people to go there early. But that was just the beginning of our stay. The cabin was small 1 full bed and 2 bunk beds; it had a mini-refrigerator, a microwave, a clean picnic table, a fire pit (close to the car), a water spigot, nice porch. There is wi-fi but we could not access it from our cabin we were told that we would have to be close to the office for signal.
Cons:
• No early check in.
• Only cash accepted (no checks, no credit cards).
• Poor customer service, the owners talked to me as if they were doing me a favor, a teenage girl who worked there was not very helpful, she gave me a paper with the shuttle information and when I asked for more info she said “ everything is in the paper”.
• Cabins were very close to each other. Little privacy.
• Bathrooms: According to the map, there are 2 bath houses. One by the camper’s side which is the biggest it has 4 or 5 stalls and 4 or 5 showers and they have them separately for men and women. The second bath house is by the cabins (11-18) it has 2 stalls and 1 shower also for men and women. The last one is by cabins (1-10) There is only ONE bathroom for BOTH men and women and just ONE shower. Of course, there were lines, I did not see any fans in the bathroom or spray so imagine just one bathroom for the campers and the people in the cabins and the smells that come out of it. They need to work on that. They cannot have so many people in the summer with not many bathrooms and showers for them.
• Beds were very uncomfortable. We could sleep but woke up frequently. They have very thin mattresses
Pros
• Location. Close to Rehoboth.
• They have cold water in the shower. Even though it was very hot on a Saturday evening the water from the shower was cold.
• Cabins have AC

There is a bus that stops by the pool. It will take you to the movies, outlets and restaurants. If you want to go the boardwalk in Rehoboth you will have to get off the bus at the Park and Ride and switch to bus # 201, it will take you right to the beach. Bus # 201 runs every 15 minutes. An all day pass is $2.10 exact change in the bus or buy a ticket at the office and they will give you change. I did not take the bus, they give you a paper with bus info at the office. Some of the mobile homes we saw were falling apart, and we cannot reserve a specific site/cabin. The website has no map of the campground.
This place has more disadvantages than advantages and just because of the bathroom situation I will not return.

Room Tip: You cannot view or choose sites online