“Family Tradition” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Big Oaks Family Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Big Oaks Family Campground
35567 Big Oak Lane, Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971   |
Adelphi, Maryland
“Family Tradition”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for the first time in 2005, looking for an alternative to the seriously over-priced hotels in the area. We have been back every year since then. every summer i cannot wait to go to the beach, then come back and sit on the porch, read my book under the cool canopy of the trees and sit by the fire. Love the shop, the pool, the shuffle board, everything. Its an all around great place to stay and the staff are always friendly and welcoming. After bringing our first child their last year for the first time and laying with her on a blanket outside the cabin and watching the trees sway, I can say that we all look forward to coming every summer. A family Tradition for years to come!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
campbigoaks, Manager at Big Oaks Family Campground, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
We are excited that you have chosen our location for your family vacations! We love being able to provide a nice, affordable place for people to vacation and look forward to see you for years to come.

67 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Wilmington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Ok, I've been going here for about 20 years now. Yes, it's tight and small. Maneuvering through the campground pulling a trailer can be tough, but it's not the end of the world. I've never had any problems with the owners. In fact, they have gone out of their way to help me when needed. I'm camping, period! Treat the owners the same way you'd like to be treated, it works mostly everywhere. The place is clean but gets a little dirty after a weekend. You need to give the people time to clean up and stay on top of it. It doesn't say "RESORT" out front. The bike trails are outstanding and will take you right into Rehoboth if you are into working up a sweat. It's a place to sleep, shower and poop then I'm on my way to all the Rehoboth attractions. I had to laugh at the reviewer who said he had a new trailer and damaged the bumper when leaving because of the tight site he was in. He went on to blame the campground. Really? If you don't know how to maneuver a camper in tight spots, you shouldn't have one. One word, "spotter". It works well for those situations. For the rest of you whiners, stay in a motel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the review Joe! Camping isn’t for everybody, but as you mentioned, we work hard to provide a nice campground for our customers. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you for years to come!
middle of nowhere-PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

I decided to write a review of this campground after reading some of the recent negative reviews because this campground does not deserve them! This really is a nice place.
We visited Big Oaks in July 2012 and found the place to be clean, well managed and in a great location close enought to ride our bikes to the beach.This is the kind of place my parents took us to growing up there was nice pool, clean bathrooms and great playgrounds. The staff was professional, helpful and the place seemed to be family run.
I think the problem is that many people are not doing enough research about their destination before they book. First off this is a campground not a Luxury RV Resort!!! So if you are looking for extra wide spaces, a bar and 5 star resort amenites this isn't the place for you. Second, if you are booking a camping cabin don't expect it to be a hotel room because it's not one! If you dont expect to "rough it" a little go to a hotel!
Next, bathrooms our camp site was close to the large set of bathrooms and we saw them being cleaned at least twice a day and found them adequate to meet our needs. I feel the campgroud does their part to maintain the property and you can't falt them in other campers don't have common bathrom curtesy. My bathroom comments are: yes there was a cracked light fixture that attracted bugs but you are camping so expect to see a few bugs.Also some hooks in the showers to hang towels or belongings on would be helpful as the benches provided are often wet.
So folks if you are looking for a nice safe place to camp don't be afraid to book Big Oaks If you are looking for hotel style amenites book a hotel!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the review! We are a family-run campground, going into the fourth generation now and we work very hard to maintain the property to provide a nice environment for our customers. We will be putting hooks into the restrooms, and appreciate the suggestion. Hope to see you again soon!
Washington, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

My husband and I took our first RV trip to Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. We stayed at Big Oaks Family Campground, August 26 - 31.

Check-in was easy and simple. We had our RV and also were pulling a trailer. They came out and helped direct us (backing up in entryway) so we could more easily get into our spot. They allowed us to leave trailer on grassy area near our sight for our convenience. Then they helped us move the trailer to a more convenient location with their tractor (a lot easier than hitching it back up).

It was our first experience, and not a bad one. My husband felt the grounds could be a bit nicer; more grass, a little more manicured, but no big deal. There was a lot of sand, maybe that's typical, I don't know, but it certainly tracked into the RV.

I'm sure we'll be back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
We’re glad that your first RV trip went so well! This close to the beach, it is typical for the soil to be very sandy, which isn’t very conducive to growing grass. We hope to see you again soon!
Pennsilvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

We stayed there on a cabin. We checked in on a Thursday and checked out on a Friday. We called Thursday morning around noon to ask if we could check in early since I thought probably the cabin was available and clean. I was told that the cabins were not ready yet but they will be at 3 p.m (official check in time). I could not believe that during a weekday none of their cabins was available for early check in, to me it sounded as though they did not allow people to go there early. But that was just the beginning of our stay. The cabin was small 1 full bed and 2 bunk beds; it had a mini-refrigerator, a microwave, a clean picnic table, a fire pit (close to the car), a water spigot, nice porch. There is wi-fi but we could not access it from our cabin we were told that we would have to be close to the office for signal.
Cons:
• No early check in.
• Only cash accepted (no checks, no credit cards).
• Poor customer service, the owners talked to me as if they were doing me a favor, a teenage girl who worked there was not very helpful, she gave me a paper with the shuttle information and when I asked for more info she said “ everything is in the paper”.
• Cabins were very close to each other. Little privacy.
• Bathrooms: According to the map, there are 2 bath houses. One by the camper’s side which is the biggest it has 4 or 5 stalls and 4 or 5 showers and they have them separately for men and women. The second bath house is by the cabins (11-18) it has 2 stalls and 1 shower also for men and women. The last one is by cabins (1-10) There is only ONE bathroom for BOTH men and women and just ONE shower. Of course, there were lines, I did not see any fans in the bathroom or spray so imagine just one bathroom for the campers and the people in the cabins and the smells that come out of it. They need to work on that. They cannot have so many people in the summer with not many bathrooms and showers for them.
• Beds were very uncomfortable. We could sleep but woke up frequently. They have very thin mattresses
Pros
• Location. Close to Rehoboth.
• They have cold water in the shower. Even though it was very hot on a Saturday evening the water from the shower was cold.
• Cabins have AC

There is a bus that stops by the pool. It will take you to the movies, outlets and restaurants. If you want to go the boardwalk in Rehoboth you will have to get off the bus at the Park and Ride and switch to bus # 201, it will take you right to the beach. Bus # 201 runs every 15 minutes. An all day pass is $2.10 exact change in the bus or buy a ticket at the office and they will give you change. I did not take the bus, they give you a paper with bus info at the office. Some of the mobile homes we saw were falling apart, and we cannot reserve a specific site/cabin. The website has no map of the campground.
This place has more disadvantages than advantages and just because of the bathroom situation I will not return.

Room Tip: You cannot view or choose sites online
Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
campbigoaks, Manager at Big Oaks Family Campground, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
We do allow early check in if the rental unit is ready, however, on the day in question we were doing some roof maintenance on a few of the cabins, so we held check ins until 3pm to avoid noise complaints.
The bathing facility by cabins 11-19 has 3 additional showers on the back side of the building, and the small bath house by #'s 1-10 was added as a night time convenience, it was never intended to be a main bathing facility. Our main bath is a short walk away, with multiple toilets and showers.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

Fist of all I want to write how unprofessional the manager responses are, they are not reassuring past or future visitors that this place has anything more to offer than other sites. All that they have done is try to rebuttal statements and defend themselves, I have not read one apology for any of the reviews on how people were treated poorly. My time spent here was a huge disappointment from what I was told o others experiences. We do not have Internet and were unable to see prices or accommodations so when I called I made a reservation for myself and my fiancé for one cabin and another for his younger sister and her boyfriend who are both under 18, I later cancelled the second cabin after deciding we would split the cost of just one cabin and deal with a confined space for two nights. I explained my situation and that the other two were under 18 and was his younger sister and the lady I spoke to assured me the rental would be 85 a night for the 4 of us, upon arrival it was all of a sudden 10 extra a night for each additional person meaning my fiancée younger sister and her boyfriend and try only accept cash which we needed for other purchases. I asked to speak to a manger and was denied. The keys to the cabin were a 5 dollar deposit! There were ants everywhere inside of our cabin which they gave me a cheap box of ant repellent and had someone come and put a cheap rubber strip at the door seal where they were coming in. The beds were basically gym matts in a cubby and the while cabin smelled musty. The bathrooms were hot and filled of bugs and the showers had black mold growing in them. I wasn't expecting it to be like a hotel or anything but I had not seen anyone cleaning the bathrooms or showers the whole time we were there and everytime I went to use the bathroom I had to wipe someone else's pee off the seats... Disgusting. We will never come back again.

• Stayed August 2012
I don't know if she misunderstood us, or we misunderstood her, but our rates cover 2 adults and 2 dependent children under 18yrs. That does not cover 2 couples traveling as adults, with some under 18yrs.., and the $5 key deposit is refunded when you return the key.
The bathrooms are cleaned twice a day, and we are complimented all the time in regard to their cleanliness.
Newark, Delaware, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Nice campground but small. Staff was nice. Had trees but our site backed up to a residential wooden fence. This was disappointing. Close to Cape Henalopen State Park, nice for hiking. I probably would not go back because it was so small. Bath house was ok. Had a trailer park feel as opposed to a campground.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
We are sorry it wasn't for you, but thanks for giving us a try.

Been to Big Oaks Family Campground? Share your experiences!