“First experience at RV Campground” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Big Oaks Family Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Big Oaks Family Campground
Save Saved
You added Big Oaks Family Campground to your Saves list
35567 Big Oak Lane, Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971   |
Washington, NJ
“First experience at RV Campground”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

My husband and I took our first RV trip to Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. We stayed at Big Oaks Family Campground, August 26 - 31.

Check-in was easy and simple. We had our RV and also were pulling a trailer. They came out and helped direct us (backing up in entryway) so we could more easily get into our spot. They allowed us to leave trailer on grassy area near our sight for our convenience. Then they helped us move the trailer to a more convenient location with their tractor (a lot easier than hitching it back up).

It was our first experience, and not a bad one. My husband felt the grounds could be a bit nicer; more grass, a little more manicured, but no big deal. There was a lot of sand, maybe that's typical, I don't know, but it certainly tracked into the RV.

I'm sure we'll be back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
campbigoaks, Manager at Big Oaks Family Campground, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
We’re glad that your first RV trip went so well! This close to the beach, it is typical for the soil to be very sandy, which isn’t very conducive to growing grass. We hope to see you again soon!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Pennsilvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

We stayed there on a cabin. We checked in on a Thursday and checked out on a Friday. We called Thursday morning around noon to ask if we could check in early since I thought probably the cabin was available and clean. I was told that the cabins were not ready yet but they will be at 3 p.m (official check in time). I could not believe that during a weekday none of their cabins was available for early check in, to me it sounded as though they did not allow people to go there early. But that was just the beginning of our stay. The cabin was small 1 full bed and 2 bunk beds; it had a mini-refrigerator, a microwave, a clean picnic table, a fire pit (close to the car), a water spigot, nice porch. There is wi-fi but we could not access it from our cabin we were told that we would have to be close to the office for signal.
Cons:
• No early check in.
• Only cash accepted (no checks, no credit cards).
• Poor customer service, the owners talked to me as if they were doing me a favor, a teenage girl who worked there was not very helpful, she gave me a paper with the shuttle information and when I asked for more info she said “ everything is in the paper”.
• Cabins were very close to each other. Little privacy.
• Bathrooms: According to the map, there are 2 bath houses. One by the camper’s side which is the biggest it has 4 or 5 stalls and 4 or 5 showers and they have them separately for men and women. The second bath house is by the cabins (11-18) it has 2 stalls and 1 shower also for men and women. The last one is by cabins (1-10) There is only ONE bathroom for BOTH men and women and just ONE shower. Of course, there were lines, I did not see any fans in the bathroom or spray so imagine just one bathroom for the campers and the people in the cabins and the smells that come out of it. They need to work on that. They cannot have so many people in the summer with not many bathrooms and showers for them.
• Beds were very uncomfortable. We could sleep but woke up frequently. They have very thin mattresses
Pros
• Location. Close to Rehoboth.
• They have cold water in the shower. Even though it was very hot on a Saturday evening the water from the shower was cold.
• Cabins have AC

There is a bus that stops by the pool. It will take you to the movies, outlets and restaurants. If you want to go the boardwalk in Rehoboth you will have to get off the bus at the Park and Ride and switch to bus # 201, it will take you right to the beach. Bus # 201 runs every 15 minutes. An all day pass is $2.10 exact change in the bus or buy a ticket at the office and they will give you change. I did not take the bus, they give you a paper with bus info at the office. Some of the mobile homes we saw were falling apart, and we cannot reserve a specific site/cabin. The website has no map of the campground.
This place has more disadvantages than advantages and just because of the bathroom situation I will not return.

Room Tip: You cannot view or choose sites online
Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
campbigoaks, Manager at Big Oaks Family Campground, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
We do allow early check in if the rental unit is ready, however, on the day in question we were doing some roof maintenance on a few of the cabins, so we held check ins until 3pm to avoid noise complaints.
The bathing facility by cabins 11-19 has 3 additional showers on the back side of the building, and the small bath house by #'s 1-10 was added as a night time convenience, it was never intended to be a main bathing facility. Our main bath is a short walk away, with multiple toilets and showers.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

Fist of all I want to write how unprofessional the manager responses are, they are not reassuring past or future visitors that this place has anything more to offer than other sites. All that they have done is try to rebuttal statements and defend themselves, I have not read one apology for any of the reviews on how people were treated poorly. My time spent here was a huge disappointment from what I was told o others experiences. We do not have Internet and were unable to see prices or accommodations so when I called I made a reservation for myself and my fiancé for one cabin and another for his younger sister and her boyfriend who are both under 18, I later cancelled the second cabin after deciding we would split the cost of just one cabin and deal with a confined space for two nights. I explained my situation and that the other two were under 18 and was his younger sister and the lady I spoke to assured me the rental would be 85 a night for the 4 of us, upon arrival it was all of a sudden 10 extra a night for each additional person meaning my fiancée younger sister and her boyfriend and try only accept cash which we needed for other purchases. I asked to speak to a manger and was denied. The keys to the cabin were a 5 dollar deposit! There were ants everywhere inside of our cabin which they gave me a cheap box of ant repellent and had someone come and put a cheap rubber strip at the door seal where they were coming in. The beds were basically gym matts in a cubby and the while cabin smelled musty. The bathrooms were hot and filled of bugs and the showers had black mold growing in them. I wasn't expecting it to be like a hotel or anything but I had not seen anyone cleaning the bathrooms or showers the whole time we were there and everytime I went to use the bathroom I had to wipe someone else's pee off the seats... Disgusting. We will never come back again.

• Stayed August 2012
I don't know if she misunderstood us, or we misunderstood her, but our rates cover 2 adults and 2 dependent children under 18yrs. That does not cover 2 couples traveling as adults, with some under 18yrs.., and the $5 key deposit is refunded when you return the key.
The bathrooms are cleaned twice a day, and we are complimented all the time in regard to their cleanliness.
Newark, Delaware, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Nice campground but small. Staff was nice. Had trees but our site backed up to a residential wooden fence. This was disappointing. Close to Cape Henalopen State Park, nice for hiking. I probably would not go back because it was so small. Bath house was ok. Had a trailer park feel as opposed to a campground.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
We are sorry it wasn't for you, but thanks for giving us a try.
bethlehem
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

We have just got back from a week's vacation at Big Oaks Campground. We payed $800 for 1 week's stay in an old, musty smelling mobile home. When we arrived, the outside of the mobile looked awful! My husband had to go out and pick up chairs, move a ladder and generally make the outside look better.
After a day or so, we felt a little better about the place. We had the mind set that it was not like home, it was not home and we were on vacation. However, I think $800 was way too much.
We had ants on a regular basis, even though we kept our food in the fridge or cupboard.
The pool and park area were both nice. Not sure what the 'old & used' store was about, what a waste of space! For a family campground, there was no set entertainment, on 1 night/week.
In this day and age, recycling is a way of life. The campground needs to get into this way of thinking. There was no place to dispose of recycling, this made me very sad.
Overall, Rehoboth beach is wonderful! The people in the area are fantastic. The campground was just ok. It needs to move 'forward' and I feel the owners need to check on their accomodation before guests arrive and be more involved and helpful.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
I am sorry that the yard of the rental was not up to par. If you had come to us and let us know at the office, it would have been addressed immediately, and your husband wouldn't have had to bother with it.
In this area, an average one room motel stay will cost over $1,500.00 per week. We are trying to offer something that is more reasonable for a family at $785.00 per week, with cooking and laundry facilities included.
Bainbridge, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

We had never been to Big Oaks when I made our reservations for Aug 2012. After reading the reviews online I knew that sites were very close together but since most of our time would be spent on the beach this didn't concern me. The staff was very friendly when we checked in and we were thrilled when we pulled up to our site. The trailer had a large screened porch area,which was an unexpected bonus for space, and we were impressed by the cleanliness and comfort of the unit and enjoyed the bright tropical colors and decor. Central air was nice and cold, linens were fresh, clean, folded, and ready for us to make our beds with. The kitchen was very clean and stocked with dishes and utensils, and I was so happy for the coffee maker and dishwasher! We were also impressed after returning from the beach that all 6 of us were able to shower, one after the other, without running out of hot water. The mattresses were very comfortable and our outside area offered more privacy than expected after reading reviews. I did feel a little uneasy that my kids were talking/laughing too loudly while making s'mores and found myself constatntly 'sushing' them as not to disturb our neighbors. It is true that others are close enough to be heard talking at neighboring sites. We also enjoyed having cable TV on a rainy day since we couldn't hit the beach. My only complaint was that I had to wash all of the linens and do some cleaning before checking out. Since check- in is not until 5pm I assumed the staff handled all of this and was surprised when I read their policy on this (unless I misunderstood ?) We had 2 full beds and 2 bunks worth of linens, 6+ towels and wash cloths, and check out is at 12pm- which is tight on timing when considering multiple loads of laundry + vacuuming carpets/sweeping hard floors, etc. We actually had to leave a day earlier than planned and I had time to wash everything but left with sheets in dryer, which the staff was fine with. I would very much prefer for staff to handle the cleaning of linens, for convenience as well as security of knowing they are clean, not to mention that for the price of the rental I feel this service really should be provided. Luckily, the people before us left linens very fresh and obviously laundered but next year I might feel leary enough to bring my own linens along, which I was so excited to NOT have to do with the mobile home rental vs. cabin. Aside from that, the location was perfect, the campground was clean and well-kept, I didn't feel that the confederate merchandise was overwhelming or arrogantly displayed to offend but rather just among the many items sold in the store, and the playground was nice and shaded. We absolutely loved our experience at Big Oaks and I will definitely be reserving the same site again for next year!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay, and we appreciate that you took the time to say so!!
Thanks again, and we will see you next year hopefully.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012 via mobile

One important fact I must stress here, this is a TRAILER PARK with some very small, very crowded 'campsites'. I had asked for something a little secluded and their idea of seclusion was a 12'x12' patch of sand that was closer to its neighboor across the road than it was wide. The fence that bordered our 'campsite' lined right up to someones backyard... The 'firepit' is an old rusted tire rim and there are more permanent trailer residents than 'campsites'. On a lighter note.. The bathroom was fairly clean.

Alcohol is prohibited....... And you can hear the highway from your 'campsite'... This isn't what I consider to be a campground at all, it was more like a large RV tailgate party, minus the booze(by their rules). If you're looking to camp, I'd stay away from this place, if you want to plug up your RV for a week, seems okay to me but I would never go back, btw its $39 for their 'campsite' for a night.

• Stayed August 2012
Sorry you didn't enjoy your stay here, but thanks for trying us.

Been to Big Oaks Family Campground? Share your experiences!