“Huge disappointment” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Big Oaks Family Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Big Oaks Family Campground
Save Saved
You added Big Oaks Family Campground to your Saves list
35567 Big Oak Lane, Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971   |
“Huge disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

Fist of all I want to write how unprofessional the manager responses are, they are not reassuring past or future visitors that this place has anything more to offer than other sites. All that they have done is try to rebuttal statements and defend themselves, I have not read one apology for any of the reviews on how people were treated poorly. My time spent here was a huge disappointment from what I was told o others experiences. We do not have Internet and were unable to see prices or accommodations so when I called I made a reservation for myself and my fiancé for one cabin and another for his younger sister and her boyfriend who are both under 18, I later cancelled the second cabin after deciding we would split the cost of just one cabin and deal with a confined space for two nights. I explained my situation and that the other two were under 18 and was his younger sister and the lady I spoke to assured me the rental would be 85 a night for the 4 of us, upon arrival it was all of a sudden 10 extra a night for each additional person meaning my fiancée younger sister and her boyfriend and try only accept cash which we needed for other purchases. I asked to speak to a manger and was denied. The keys to the cabin were a 5 dollar deposit! There were ants everywhere inside of our cabin which they gave me a cheap box of ant repellent and had someone come and put a cheap rubber strip at the door seal where they were coming in. The beds were basically gym matts in a cubby and the while cabin smelled musty. The bathrooms were hot and filled of bugs and the showers had black mold growing in them. I wasn't expecting it to be like a hotel or anything but I had not seen anyone cleaning the bathrooms or showers the whole time we were there and everytime I went to use the bathroom I had to wipe someone else's pee off the seats... Disgusting. We will never come back again.

• Stayed August 2012
campbigoaks, Manager at Big Oaks Family Campground, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
I don't know if she misunderstood us, or we misunderstood her, but our rates cover 2 adults and 2 dependent children under 18yrs. That does not cover 2 couples traveling as adults, with some under 18yrs.., and the $5 key deposit is refunded when you return the key.
The bathrooms are cleaned twice a day, and we are complimented all the time in regard to their cleanliness.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Newark, Delaware, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Nice campground but small. Staff was nice. Had trees but our site backed up to a residential wooden fence. This was disappointing. Close to Cape Henalopen State Park, nice for hiking. I probably would not go back because it was so small. Bath house was ok. Had a trailer park feel as opposed to a campground.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
We are sorry it wasn't for you, but thanks for giving us a try.
bethlehem
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

We have just got back from a week's vacation at Big Oaks Campground. We payed $800 for 1 week's stay in an old, musty smelling mobile home. When we arrived, the outside of the mobile looked awful! My husband had to go out and pick up chairs, move a ladder and generally make the outside look better.
After a day or so, we felt a little better about the place. We had the mind set that it was not like home, it was not home and we were on vacation. However, I think $800 was way too much.
We had ants on a regular basis, even though we kept our food in the fridge or cupboard.
The pool and park area were both nice. Not sure what the 'old & used' store was about, what a waste of space! For a family campground, there was no set entertainment, on 1 night/week.
In this day and age, recycling is a way of life. The campground needs to get into this way of thinking. There was no place to dispose of recycling, this made me very sad.
Overall, Rehoboth beach is wonderful! The people in the area are fantastic. The campground was just ok. It needs to move 'forward' and I feel the owners need to check on their accomodation before guests arrive and be more involved and helpful.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
I am sorry that the yard of the rental was not up to par. If you had come to us and let us know at the office, it would have been addressed immediately, and your husband wouldn't have had to bother with it.
In this area, an average one room motel stay will cost over $1,500.00 per week. We are trying to offer something that is more reasonable for a family at $785.00 per week, with cooking and laundry facilities included.
Bainbridge, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

We had never been to Big Oaks when I made our reservations for Aug 2012. After reading the reviews online I knew that sites were very close together but since most of our time would be spent on the beach this didn't concern me. The staff was very friendly when we checked in and we were thrilled when we pulled up to our site. The trailer had a large screened porch area,which was an unexpected bonus for space, and we were impressed by the cleanliness and comfort of the unit and enjoyed the bright tropical colors and decor. Central air was nice and cold, linens were fresh, clean, folded, and ready for us to make our beds with. The kitchen was very clean and stocked with dishes and utensils, and I was so happy for the coffee maker and dishwasher! We were also impressed after returning from the beach that all 6 of us were able to shower, one after the other, without running out of hot water. The mattresses were very comfortable and our outside area offered more privacy than expected after reading reviews. I did feel a little uneasy that my kids were talking/laughing too loudly while making s'mores and found myself constatntly 'sushing' them as not to disturb our neighbors. It is true that others are close enough to be heard talking at neighboring sites. We also enjoyed having cable TV on a rainy day since we couldn't hit the beach. My only complaint was that I had to wash all of the linens and do some cleaning before checking out. Since check- in is not until 5pm I assumed the staff handled all of this and was surprised when I read their policy on this (unless I misunderstood ?) We had 2 full beds and 2 bunks worth of linens, 6+ towels and wash cloths, and check out is at 12pm- which is tight on timing when considering multiple loads of laundry + vacuuming carpets/sweeping hard floors, etc. We actually had to leave a day earlier than planned and I had time to wash everything but left with sheets in dryer, which the staff was fine with. I would very much prefer for staff to handle the cleaning of linens, for convenience as well as security of knowing they are clean, not to mention that for the price of the rental I feel this service really should be provided. Luckily, the people before us left linens very fresh and obviously laundered but next year I might feel leary enough to bring my own linens along, which I was so excited to NOT have to do with the mobile home rental vs. cabin. Aside from that, the location was perfect, the campground was clean and well-kept, I didn't feel that the confederate merchandise was overwhelming or arrogantly displayed to offend but rather just among the many items sold in the store, and the playground was nice and shaded. We absolutely loved our experience at Big Oaks and I will definitely be reserving the same site again for next year!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay, and we appreciate that you took the time to say so!!
Thanks again, and we will see you next year hopefully.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012 via mobile

One important fact I must stress here, this is a TRAILER PARK with some very small, very crowded 'campsites'. I had asked for something a little secluded and their idea of seclusion was a 12'x12' patch of sand that was closer to its neighboor across the road than it was wide. The fence that bordered our 'campsite' lined right up to someones backyard... The 'firepit' is an old rusted tire rim and there are more permanent trailer residents than 'campsites'. On a lighter note.. The bathroom was fairly clean.

Alcohol is prohibited....... And you can hear the highway from your 'campsite'... This isn't what I consider to be a campground at all, it was more like a large RV tailgate party, minus the booze(by their rules). If you're looking to camp, I'd stay away from this place, if you want to plug up your RV for a week, seems okay to me but I would never go back, btw its $39 for their 'campsite' for a night.

• Stayed August 2012
Sorry you didn't enjoy your stay here, but thanks for trying us.
Palmyra, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I came down to Big Oaks for a two-night, three-stay with another couple, their 3-yr-old, and my 9-yr-old son. From the moment we drove onto the property, we were pleased. First of all, there is a very large sign out on the main road, which made the site easy to find. Then, immediately upon our arrival, we were greeted by a friendly security man, who gave us quick directions to the office. The staff confirmed our cabin reservation and we were on our way in five minutes.

The little girl is working on toilet training, so we requested a cabin near a bathroom. We were RIGHT next door, which was convenient, however other campers continuously walked right through our campsite to get there! One of my few complaints is that there was ONE bathroom and ONE shower stall, so there was a constant line in the morning and evening. One of my kudos, though, is that we saw a staff of young men emptying trashcans and cleaning that bathroom every morning.

The cabin was much smaller than we expected, but very clean...and we weren't looking to spend a lot of time in there, anyway! The air conditioning was MORE than powerful enough for the entire cabin. My son complained about the bunk bed, but I have a bad back and had NO problems either night. The fridge did its job beautifully, and we loved the front porch.

My friends are more experienced campers, and had no problems with the fire ring or any of the "camping" facilities. Their one complaint was that there was no kindling offered, and the firewood for sale was quite large and didn't burn well. The kids LOVED the pool, the playground, and the pet rabbit! My other complaint was the fact that Wi-Fi is offered, however, we had next to NO service at the cabin. Granted, we're there to camp, not surf the 'net, but this was promised and didn't deliver. I went to ask about it at the office, and got in line behind someone else with their laptop. We were told, "I don't know what the problem is for you, we have service just great up here at the office," by the slightly rude young woman behind the counter, who then told me because I'm in a cabin, the trees block signal. Whatever; not really an issue.

The entire time we were there, we discussed how much we loved everything, and how much we couldn't wait to come back.

Room Tip: Cabins are all fairly close, but we had #1, and it was next to the bathroom.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
It makes us so happy when families come and make such great memories here, we really do appreciate your business, and hopefully we will see you soon!
Broomall, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

First, let me say I have never camped so i reserved a cabin. This was an excellent choice. The campsite is so close to Lewes Public Beach, Henlopen State Park Beach, and Rehoboth. The parking is very reasonable on all these beaches. Also, there is a Wawa up the road, within walking distance.
We had so much fun, and the owners are wonderful and friendly. The place was a very welcoming and safe place for children, and also the facilities were clean, and were cleaned allot!!! For a public campground I had exactly what I wanted a more woodsy local, but, convenient to everything, a safe place for my child to play and roller skate, and a pool, although, i have to add i supervise my child at all times, We had so much fun here, the way vacations are meant to be.
I thought that Dana and the staff were absolutely wonderful.
Thank you we will be seeing you next year.
Aristea S.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
We are so glad that you came, and enjoyed your self so much. Can't wait to see you again!

Been to Big Oaks Family Campground? Share your experiences!