“Go For the Mobile Home Rental!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Big Oaks Family Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Big Oaks Family Campground
35567 Big Oak Lane, Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971   |
Bainbridge, Pennsylvania
“Go For the Mobile Home Rental!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

We had never been to Big Oaks when I made our reservations for Aug 2012. After reading the reviews online I knew that sites were very close together but since most of our time would be spent on the beach this didn't concern me. The staff was very friendly when we checked in and we were thrilled when we pulled up to our site. The trailer had a large screened porch area,which was an unexpected bonus for space, and we were impressed by the cleanliness and comfort of the unit and enjoyed the bright tropical colors and decor. Central air was nice and cold, linens were fresh, clean, folded, and ready for us to make our beds with. The kitchen was very clean and stocked with dishes and utensils, and I was so happy for the coffee maker and dishwasher! We were also impressed after returning from the beach that all 6 of us were able to shower, one after the other, without running out of hot water. The mattresses were very comfortable and our outside area offered more privacy than expected after reading reviews. I did feel a little uneasy that my kids were talking/laughing too loudly while making s'mores and found myself constatntly 'sushing' them as not to disturb our neighbors. It is true that others are close enough to be heard talking at neighboring sites. We also enjoyed having cable TV on a rainy day since we couldn't hit the beach. My only complaint was that I had to wash all of the linens and do some cleaning before checking out. Since check- in is not until 5pm I assumed the staff handled all of this and was surprised when I read their policy on this (unless I misunderstood ?) We had 2 full beds and 2 bunks worth of linens, 6+ towels and wash cloths, and check out is at 12pm- which is tight on timing when considering multiple loads of laundry + vacuuming carpets/sweeping hard floors, etc. We actually had to leave a day earlier than planned and I had time to wash everything but left with sheets in dryer, which the staff was fine with. I would very much prefer for staff to handle the cleaning of linens, for convenience as well as security of knowing they are clean, not to mention that for the price of the rental I feel this service really should be provided. Luckily, the people before us left linens very fresh and obviously laundered but next year I might feel leary enough to bring my own linens along, which I was so excited to NOT have to do with the mobile home rental vs. cabin. Aside from that, the location was perfect, the campground was clean and well-kept, I didn't feel that the confederate merchandise was overwhelming or arrogantly displayed to offend but rather just among the many items sold in the store, and the playground was nice and shaded. We absolutely loved our experience at Big Oaks and I will definitely be reserving the same site again for next year!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
campbigoaks, Manager at Big Oaks Family Campground, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay, and we appreciate that you took the time to say so!!
Thanks again, and we will see you next year hopefully.

70 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012 via mobile

One important fact I must stress here, this is a TRAILER PARK with some very small, very crowded 'campsites'. I had asked for something a little secluded and their idea of seclusion was a 12'x12' patch of sand that was closer to its neighboor across the road than it was wide. The fence that bordered our 'campsite' lined right up to someones backyard... The 'firepit' is an old rusted tire rim and there are more permanent trailer residents than 'campsites'. On a lighter note.. The bathroom was fairly clean.

Alcohol is prohibited....... And you can hear the highway from your 'campsite'... This isn't what I consider to be a campground at all, it was more like a large RV tailgate party, minus the booze(by their rules). If you're looking to camp, I'd stay away from this place, if you want to plug up your RV for a week, seems okay to me but I would never go back, btw its $39 for their 'campsite' for a night.

• Stayed August 2012
Sorry you didn't enjoy your stay here, but thanks for trying us.
Palmyra, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I came down to Big Oaks for a two-night, three-stay with another couple, their 3-yr-old, and my 9-yr-old son. From the moment we drove onto the property, we were pleased. First of all, there is a very large sign out on the main road, which made the site easy to find. Then, immediately upon our arrival, we were greeted by a friendly security man, who gave us quick directions to the office. The staff confirmed our cabin reservation and we were on our way in five minutes.

The little girl is working on toilet training, so we requested a cabin near a bathroom. We were RIGHT next door, which was convenient, however other campers continuously walked right through our campsite to get there! One of my few complaints is that there was ONE bathroom and ONE shower stall, so there was a constant line in the morning and evening. One of my kudos, though, is that we saw a staff of young men emptying trashcans and cleaning that bathroom every morning.

The cabin was much smaller than we expected, but very clean...and we weren't looking to spend a lot of time in there, anyway! The air conditioning was MORE than powerful enough for the entire cabin. My son complained about the bunk bed, but I have a bad back and had NO problems either night. The fridge did its job beautifully, and we loved the front porch.

My friends are more experienced campers, and had no problems with the fire ring or any of the "camping" facilities. Their one complaint was that there was no kindling offered, and the firewood for sale was quite large and didn't burn well. The kids LOVED the pool, the playground, and the pet rabbit! My other complaint was the fact that Wi-Fi is offered, however, we had next to NO service at the cabin. Granted, we're there to camp, not surf the 'net, but this was promised and didn't deliver. I went to ask about it at the office, and got in line behind someone else with their laptop. We were told, "I don't know what the problem is for you, we have service just great up here at the office," by the slightly rude young woman behind the counter, who then told me because I'm in a cabin, the trees block signal. Whatever; not really an issue.

The entire time we were there, we discussed how much we loved everything, and how much we couldn't wait to come back.

Room Tip: Cabins are all fairly close, but we had #1, and it was next to the bathroom.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
It makes us so happy when families come and make such great memories here, we really do appreciate your business, and hopefully we will see you soon!
Broomall, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

First, let me say I have never camped so i reserved a cabin. This was an excellent choice. The campsite is so close to Lewes Public Beach, Henlopen State Park Beach, and Rehoboth. The parking is very reasonable on all these beaches. Also, there is a Wawa up the road, within walking distance.
We had so much fun, and the owners are wonderful and friendly. The place was a very welcoming and safe place for children, and also the facilities were clean, and were cleaned allot!!! For a public campground I had exactly what I wanted a more woodsy local, but, convenient to everything, a safe place for my child to play and roller skate, and a pool, although, i have to add i supervise my child at all times, We had so much fun here, the way vacations are meant to be.
I thought that Dana and the staff were absolutely wonderful.
Thank you we will be seeing you next year.
Aristea S.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
We are so glad that you came, and enjoyed your self so much. Can't wait to see you again!
Union, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

Reserved 2 tent sites...my husband & i on one site and our friends (3 adults) on another. Management GREATLY accomodated our reservation just a week before we were to arrive AND gave us neighboring sites. WONDERFUL!! And the sites have electricity!!! Holy moly that was GREAT!!! (thanks for the convenience!!!)

Super cute place!!! If you have kids (we dont) there's tons to do. Nice pool, nice playground, nice staff, nice giftshop (i <3 my sugar skull) and a great pirate theme! Tons of photo ops and a fun weekend!

The DART bus is perfect too. Big Oaks is the perfect location if you want to enjoy Rehoboth and NOT HAVE TO DRIVE after visiting Dogfish Head ;)

Next year, we're calling early and reserving a cabin. But we all have a fantastic time and can't wait to return. Thanks for the hospitality!!!

Room Tip: dont go with an RV....camp for real.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
We work so hard to try to keep everything nice, and it makes our day when someone comes and enjoys it so much. Thanks for coming, hope to see you again soon.
Wilmington, Delaware
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

My wife and myself booked a week-long stay at this campground during the Fourth of July 2012. My RV was brand new, so this was our first trip. I asked to be placed at one of the many empty premium sites near the pool, and was rudely denied this request. (BTW, they don't accept reservations, so none of the sites are being held for other customers.) The office stuffed my new camper into a tiny site just opposite the bath house. Since I had no experience backing into a campsite, an employee "helped" me do it....it took about 30 minutes. Our three grandchildren stayed with us during the week, and their aunts, who live nearby, wanted to visit. The security office stopped them at the gate, asking for a $5.00 "visitor fee" each time they came. How greedy!!! On the last day, I tried to pull out of the campsite and found that it was almost impossible to maneuver the RV at all. In my attempt to pull out, which also took 30 minutes to accomplish, I dented the rear bumper on a tree while backing up. Now I have damage to my new RV, all because the office wouldn't assign me a decent campsite. (The site I wanted was empty the entire week we were there.)

The pool is nice. That's about the only positive comment I can leave here.

Needless to say, we won't be returning.

Tom and Paula Steele
Wilmington, Delaware

Room Tip: This website is set up to rate hotel rooms, so some questions don't apply to a campground.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
We definitely take reservations, and the 4th is booked months ahead. The larger sites are booked up to a year ahead for the holiday. We helped the gentleman on the site, and would have gladly helped him off of it. All he needed to do was ask.
Springfield, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

My 20 year old son and I headed out Sat. morning looking for an adventure. We ended up in DE with our tent and sense of wonder. We landed at the Big Oaks camp ground and thought why not, we will give it a try! From the gate keeper "Larry" to the check in staff in the office it was a awesome experiance! The campers were fun, the staff engaging we will definitly come back to this campground! thank you for the memories!

Room Tip: We tent camped in W3 it was perfect, maybe a little close to the next peeps but it was cool in the m...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
I am so glad you came, and have such fond memories. Hope to see you again soon.

Been to Big Oaks Family Campground? Share your experiences!