“Great family place wonderful location very clean” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Big Oaks Family Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Big Oaks Family Campground
You added Big Oaks Family Campground to your Saves list
35567 Big Oak Lane, Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971   |
Broomall, Pennsylvania
“Great family place wonderful location very clean”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

First, let me say I have never camped so i reserved a cabin. This was an excellent choice. The campsite is so close to Lewes Public Beach, Henlopen State Park Beach, and Rehoboth. The parking is very reasonable on all these beaches. Also, there is a Wawa up the road, within walking distance.
We had so much fun, and the owners are wonderful and friendly. The place was a very welcoming and safe place for children, and also the facilities were clean, and were cleaned allot!!! For a public campground I had exactly what I wanted a more woodsy local, but, convenient to everything, a safe place for my child to play and roller skate, and a pool, although, i have to add i supervise my child at all times, We had so much fun here, the way vacations are meant to be.
I thought that Dana and the staff were absolutely wonderful.
Thank you we will be seeing you next year.
Aristea S.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
campbigoaks, Manager at Big Oaks Family Campground, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
We are so glad that you came, and enjoyed your self so much. Can't wait to see you again!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Union, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

Reserved 2 tent sites...my husband & i on one site and our friends (3 adults) on another. Management GREATLY accomodated our reservation just a week before we were to arrive AND gave us neighboring sites. WONDERFUL!! And the sites have electricity!!! Holy moly that was GREAT!!! (thanks for the convenience!!!)

Super cute place!!! If you have kids (we dont) there's tons to do. Nice pool, nice playground, nice staff, nice giftshop (i <3 my sugar skull) and a great pirate theme! Tons of photo ops and a fun weekend!

The DART bus is perfect too. Big Oaks is the perfect location if you want to enjoy Rehoboth and NOT HAVE TO DRIVE after visiting Dogfish Head ;)

Next year, we're calling early and reserving a cabin. But we all have a fantastic time and can't wait to return. Thanks for the hospitality!!!

Room Tip: dont go with an RV....camp for real.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
We work so hard to try to keep everything nice, and it makes our day when someone comes and enjoys it so much. Thanks for coming, hope to see you again soon.
Wilmington, Delaware
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

My wife and myself booked a week-long stay at this campground during the Fourth of July 2012. My RV was brand new, so this was our first trip. I asked to be placed at one of the many empty premium sites near the pool, and was rudely denied this request. (BTW, they don't accept reservations, so none of the sites are being held for other customers.) The office stuffed my new camper into a tiny site just opposite the bath house. Since I had no experience backing into a campsite, an employee "helped" me do it....it took about 30 minutes. Our three grandchildren stayed with us during the week, and their aunts, who live nearby, wanted to visit. The security office stopped them at the gate, asking for a $5.00 "visitor fee" each time they came. How greedy!!! On the last day, I tried to pull out of the campsite and found that it was almost impossible to maneuver the RV at all. In my attempt to pull out, which also took 30 minutes to accomplish, I dented the rear bumper on a tree while backing up. Now I have damage to my new RV, all because the office wouldn't assign me a decent campsite. (The site I wanted was empty the entire week we were there.)

The pool is nice. That's about the only positive comment I can leave here.

Needless to say, we won't be returning.

Tom and Paula Steele
Wilmington, Delaware

Room Tip: This website is set up to rate hotel rooms, so some questions don't apply to a campground.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
We definitely take reservations, and the 4th is booked months ahead. The larger sites are booked up to a year ahead for the holiday. We helped the gentleman on the site, and would have gladly helped him off of it. All he needed to do was ask.
Springfield, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

My 20 year old son and I headed out Sat. morning looking for an adventure. We ended up in DE with our tent and sense of wonder. We landed at the Big Oaks camp ground and thought why not, we will give it a try! From the gate keeper "Larry" to the check in staff in the office it was a awesome experiance! The campers were fun, the staff engaging we will definitly come back to this campground! thank you for the memories!

Room Tip: We tent camped in W3 it was perfect, maybe a little close to the next peeps but it was cool in the m...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
I am so glad you came, and have such fond memories. Hope to see you again soon.
Glenside
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

All in all this wasn't my worst camping experience. We had camped at Trap Pond State Park the first part of the week which was very nice except for the lack of a place to swim in the excessive heat. So we went in search of water and Big Oaks had a pool, so we decided to move. Overall it was fairly clean with all the amenities you could want from a campground. It was close to Rehobeth and Lewes, yet was very quiet. The office staff was very nice upon check-in and immediately looked into rebooting the gateway when I lost the Wi-Fi connection they offer.
My biggest disappointment was the cramped quarters. I have never stayed at any campground that crowded so many sites into the space they have! There was almost no space between neighbors at all. Firepits seemed dangerously close to vehicles. I woke up to the smell of my neighbor's cigarette smoking, yuk! We were camping in a tent area primarily and I felt bad using the water spigots because they were on the adjoining site. Because of the small sites, using the water would cause the runoff to go right into their tent area.
The showers were a little hard to find at first and they were fine, but the toilet stalls were impossibly tight! I could barely maneuver the toilet paper roll which felt as if it were sitting in my lap! Better placement of them might have helped, but way too small for the average person.
Overall, a nice enough place to stay, but I think I would opt to go back to one of the state parks where I can move and have some privacy at half the price.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Big Oaks Family Campground, responded to this review, July 14, 2012
We were at full capacity over the 4th of July, so we were packed. Trap Pond is about 45 minutes from the beach, and can offer more space than we can being so close to the resort area. Private campgrounds can never compete with state parks with pricing, because they use state tax dollars to pay their deficit at the end of the year, we however have to pay additonal taxes to cover them. If they charged enough to cover their expenses, it would save us money as well.
Frederick, MD
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

My husband chose to stay in this compground and after I refused to sleep in a tent we rented a cabin. We chose the campground because it was advertised that there was a trail nearby that took you to the beach. We were told the beach was 2 miles away, so a nice walk, however, it probably was more than 5 miles since it took us 2 hours to reach the beach.
The cabin was incredibly small even thought it sleeps 6 and the bed was just an uncomfortable box with a cheap mattress on top. You have to bring your own linens and towels but you can rent some cheap and missmatched ones for only $5.00 if you forget. Room was not very clean and very spartan. There is a tiny refrigerator and a microwave in the room. The park was quiet enough and the children seam to love it but it was not for me.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Camping isn't for everyone. Maybe Dad and the kids could come back for a Father's Day weekend, and Mom could go to the spa and have a relaxing weekend at home, that way everybody woud be happy. We don't supply linens for the cabins, but if someone walks in unprepared, we have a few spares that we lend them, to save them from spending a few hundred dollars on pillows, sheets, blankets etc. and charge only $5 to cover some of the time and electricity to launder them. They are not matching sets, but they are clean and do in a pinch. They were in no way obligated to use our linens. Just to clarify: driving to the beach from the campground, straight shot, is 2.5 miles. The trail is a bit farther because it does not go in a straight line. The signage on the trail states that it is 3.5 miles to Rehoboth Beach.
Bel Air, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012 via mobile

This is THE BEST place to stay in Rehoboth. Family owned, family ran. Courteous, friendly& outstanding. I have been staying at Big Oaks since 2005. Not once has there been ANY issues with my stay. If you need something, just ask. Always helpful. I will continue to stay there as long as they are there. See ya July 21st 2012.

SJ Barlow
Bel Air MD

• Stayed July 2011
, Manager at Big Oaks Family Campground, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
We are so happy that you enjoy staying here at Big Oaks. We look forward to seeing you on July 21st and hope to be seeing you for many years to come!

Been to Big Oaks Family Campground? Share your experiences!