“Wonderful dinner!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Cantwell's Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Odessa
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Just opened to the public on December 14, 2011. Located in the historic Hotel in the historical disrict encompassing The Historic Houses of Odessa. Holiday atmosphere is festive for the whole town.
Bayside, New York
“Wonderful dinner!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

My husband and I showed up on a Saturday night without a reservation and we were seated immediately. Combined, we had an appetizer, two sandwiches and two beers for exactly $50 with tip. The service was prompt (except for the last ten minutes) and the food was delicious. If you enjoy cheddar cheese or like jalapeño poppers, then I highly recommend the tasty fried aged cheddar bites (although it was $8 for five small pieces, the sweet jalapeño sauce it came with became good for dipping bread). My husband had a crab cake sandwich with potato salad and I had the delicious sausage sandwich (kielbasa with spicy mustard and an onion and bacon marmalade that was INCREDIBLE!). Overall, it was a lovely dinner in a great old-fashioned atmosphere (I forgot to mention that they sat us next to one of the fireplaces!). If I am in Delaware again, I will definitely visit again!

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Dover, Delaware
“Yummylicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Goofy title I know, but I was trying to sum it all up in one word. Wow! Took hubby here for a special night out, just us. Everything was just delicious. We loved everything about our meal.
We got the Charcuterie board, which I highly recommend. We both got the crab cakes dinner and shared an order of brussell sprouts. Yummy!! Food was fresh and just wonderful, we both love farm-to-table restaurants. We can't wait to come back again, maybe for a Sunday Brunch.

We are not drinkers, but I can say they have a huge variety of local brews and flavored beers.

Built in 1822 Cantwell’s Bridge Hotel and Tavern operated as such for 100 years. One thing I learned was that the proceeds from the restaurant’s lease will benefit the Historic Odessa Foundation’s historic preservation efforts and educational programming. What a great concept.

The only negative thing I can say is that I absolutely HATE their chairs. Hate them. I know the bowback style chairs are (somewhat) period, but they are SO terribly uncomfortable. Honestly, if the food wasn't so darn good, I probably would not come back just because of the chairs.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Delaware
“Hidden Gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

We have been here three times now and on each visit have found both the food and the service to be consistently great. I really like the diverse menu which affords dinners the option of having a casual meal like sandwiches or burgers or more traditional entree. I would highly recommend checking this spot out.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Middletown, Delaware
“Good menu, but pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

We visited once for dinner on a Sunday. Dining room was not busy. Adequate service, interesting menu but pricey for what you get. I may return for special occasion but not as a regular diner.

Visited August 2012
Easton, MD
“Great Restaurant In A Beautifully Restored Historic Building”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

After touring the Historic Houses of Odessa my wife and I decided to have lunch at the restored Cantwell's Tavern (which is also listed as one of the Historic Houses). Since it was a beautiful late summer day, we decided to dine in the outdoor area with umbrella-covered tables. The restaurant has daily specials, so we decided to have the Thursday Specials--flatbreads. Ny wife ordered the crab, cream cheese and artichoke flatbread and I had the prosciutto, fig jam and gorgonzola cheese flatbread. (the daily special price was $5.00 each.) We found both dishes to be blends of very different, but delicious ingredients. Both flatbreads were wonderful. We decided that the next time we are in the Middletown/Odessa, DE area, we'll make it a point to stop again at Cantwell's Tavern.

Visited September 2012