“Don't use hotwire for this hotel.” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 20% Off
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Newark
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Don't use hotwire for this hotel.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

Although there are a lot of nice things to say about this hotel, using "Hotwire" to book it is not one of them. We booked this hotel using Hotwire, paid our money up front and then called them to request a "non-smoking room". Unfortunately for us, there were no "non-smoking rooms" available and no way to get our money back. We asked to be put on a waiting list in case of any cancellations and then called later in the day. When we did, we were then told that our reservation was for a "non-smoking room". When we arrived at the hotel and entered the room, to our surprise, they had stuck us in smoking room after all and boy did it stink! We told the people at the front desk that we had called, but this got us nowhere. If there was a way to cancel our reservation and get our money back, it was not offered.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
bwenger, General Manager at Hilton Wilmington / Christiana, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Thank you for taking time to provide the feedback about the hotel. I'm sorry we were not able to accomodate your request for a non-smoking room. The advantage of booking channels like Hotwire and Priceline is that you can save a lot of $. The biggest disadvantage is you forfeit the guaranteed room type. We strive to honor as many requests as possible and I'm very sorry we were not able to grant yours in this case.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Polish first
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Stayed here on business and also conducted a meeting at the hotel and was generally pleased with all accommodations. The staff at the front desk and the meeting staff were very friendly and quite helpful, and the room I slept in was very nice and well maintained. The only complaint about this hotel was the lack of diversity for food options. Nothing on the room service menu appealed, and the hotel restaurant was an upscale steak house, and there weren't any super convenient restaurants without a car. I wound up walking across the (very busy, wide) street to a restaurant for dinner. I probably wouldn't stay here again unless it was for business, but then again, I wouldn't be in Delaware again if not for business.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for taking time to submit a review on our hotel. We really appreciate it. I'm sorry we didn't have menu selections that were appealing. We need to do a better job communicating to our guests that if they have any special requests, we are happy to accomodate them. I"m glad the rest of your stay was pleasant.
Saylorsburg, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Ugh. The walls/ doors of this establishment are very thin. Add in that there was a noisy group of adolescent boys staying right above us and a dog in the room next to us and what do you get? Very little sleep! We were there for a basketball tournament nearby and, in the hotel's defense, their should have been parents from each time patrolling and making sure the kids were well behaved and quiet (especially after 1 AM when I finally called the front desk.) The parents who were supposed to patrol the rowdies above us were most likely the loud group of adults down the hall from us who insisted on having near screaming "conversations" with one another--- in the HALLWAY--- after MIDNIGHT! Aside from all of the racket (which was mainly just due to rude guests... although somehow adding some insulation between walls/ floors would most likely help!) the room was nice, the bed comfy, plenty of towels, excellent shower, etc. My husband and I ordered room service which was OK (nothing to write Tripadvisor about!). The redeeming quality of our stay is that it came with a free brunch. Omelets made to order, very large selection of pastries, cereals, oatmeal with toppings, juices, yogurt, plus your typical hot entrees: sausage, bacon, potatoes, french toast, and waffles. The waffles were kind of weird- looking; they came in single strips- like four connected squares and that's it. Best part? Breakfast served 'til NOON!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
bwenger, General Manager at Hilton Wilmington / Christiana, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your visit. I'm sorry there was so much activity in the hotel and it was disruptive to your sleep time. I wish you had a better room service experience but am glad you enjoyed a late breakfast on Sunday. If you have occasion to return and choose us, please contact me directly and I will take a personal interest in your stay. I can be reached at 302-781-7048.
Newark, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Our organization recently held a day-long conference at Christiana Hilton. The staff was amazing and the day was absolutely perfect. They were wonderful to work with and the day was seamless. Thank you to the entire staff at the Christiana Hilton! Lunch was excellent and the service was top-notch!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
We really appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback on your recent conference. I'm glad we exceeded your expectations! We look forward to seeing you again in the near future!
Collingswood, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We enjoy this hotel very much, in fact we stay there each year for a special weekend occasion. The staff is very pleasent and takes care of your all your needs. The resturant is fantastic the food is very good. Breakfast is a winner !!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay! We really appreciate it. I'm glad you had a fantastic experience and choose us for your special occasions. We look forward to seeing you back soon!
Newark, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We recently had our wedding reception at the Hilton!
I have received SO many compliments on how beautiful the Hilton was, how attentive the waitstaff were to my guests, and how smoothly everything ran. Of course, I also got so many compliments on the meal—one of our guests told us it was the best catered meal he had ever experienced. I got many comments that the steak was cooked to perfection (which I had been nervous about since preparing so many steaks at once makes it hard to please everyone on cooking standards!) I also got many compliments about quality of the cocktail hour appetizers, especially the lamb lollipops!

Leah-the wedding specialist- was able to impress even me, one of the most type-A people around with her organizational skills. Leah remembered the tiniest of details (even when I had only mentioned these things in passing, literally months ago). I truly don’t know how she does it! I looked at almost every wedding venue in this area prior to choosing the Hilton. The beautiful venue, great food, and their willingness to work with you to keep a budget were key parts in helping to set it apart from other options for wedding receptions in the area. However, seeing how capable Leah was ended up being what pushed me over the edge in my decision to have my wedding reception there. She went out of her way to always make us feel special. Just one example of this is that there was always a table reserved for us to sit during our meetings--designated by a sign with our names--and we were offered drinks and snacks. In comparison, other venues I looked at made us scrounge around to find a place to sit during a SCHEDULED appointment, which was less than impressive! In addition, Leah was ALWAYS on time for meetings, and she was very accommodating of our military lifestyle in scheduling. At the last minute (I am talking mere days before the reception), we made some major changes/additions to our wedding day package (even added an entire late-night stack station with cheesesteaks, fries, and soft pretzels—this was a huge hit by the way!!), and Leah was totally flexible with us and was somehow able to pull everything together in time. It all turned out perfectly!

Escuss, our butler, is clearly another great asset to the Hilton! He was so on the ball with everything. I had MANY small details and decorations that he had to take care of/set up and I still am shocked that he was able to pull it all together so nicely. When the DJ started off the night by pronouncing our new last name incorrectly to welcome everyone to the event, Escuss immediately RAN to the DJ table to stop him from repeatedly saying it wrong. During the cocktail hour, one of my groomsmen (mistakenly) thought that something was missing in the reception area, and again, Escuss was there in less than a minute asking me what he could do to help. He kept us on time throughout the whole reception, without being overbearing. Together Escuss and Leah worked as a team to make sure my special day went perfectly!

Thank you for the hard work of the entire Hilton staff for the great reception!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
WOW! You should be a salesperson for our hotel! Your feedback is exactly why so many of our team is in this business of serving people. It is very satisfying and rewarding to deliver such an outstanding experience to you on such a special day. Congratulations from our entire team at the Christiana Hilton and thank you for entrusting us with your wedding.
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I was disappointed in this hotel. It is big, anonymous, and seems to host large events like weddings and such. If you are traveling through and alone or part of a small group, you can do better. The A/C was loud, and the beds were not comfortable and did a poor job of dehumidifying the room. My partner and I slept in a full sized bed which seemed to sink in the middle so we were rolling towards each other all night. That can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how much sleep you want to get. The hotel tried to hit me with a cancellation charge for early departure which they had never advised me of. I will choose another place next time through.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
I'm really sorry we didn't deliver a better experience for you and your partner. I'd love an opportunity to discuss your stay further to better understand where we came up short and how we can make it up to you. Please feel free to call me directly at 302-781-7048. Thank you for the feedback.

Been to Hilton Wilmington / Christiana? Share your experiences!