“Nice and Cozy” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Red Roof Inn & Suites Newark - University

You added Red Roof Inn & Suites Newark - University to your Saves list
Red Roof Inn & Suites Newark - University
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1119 South College Avenue, I-95 & SR 896, Newark, DE 19713 (Formerly Howard Johnson Inn University Newark)   |
Affiliate website
Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #19 of 23 Hotels in Newark
“Nice and Cozy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Clean and cozy hotel. Manager very nice and accommodating with changing our room location and size. Pleasant and friendly staff members. Spacious rooms, continental breakfast with help breakfast staff.

Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Natick
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

While visiting my daughter at U Delaware, I needed a place to stay. This hotel was available and reasonably priced. It's right of I-95, providing easy access to the highway. Check-in was quick and easy. For reasons that became clear later, I was instructed to go to 'Entrance 9' to get to my room. Although the clerk pointed me in the direction of that entrance, it did take a little searching to find it.
All of the entrances require your card key to gain access. When I went to find my room (the number began with a 2), I was puzzled to see a sign that said the room was on the first floor. But when I reached the end of that hallway, the sign pointed up a set of stairs.
The room was clean. It had a microwave, mini-fridge, coffee maker and a hair dryer along with the TV. There was a non-desk chair to sit in (I don't like hotel rooms where the options to sit are the desk chair or the bed). That chair was a bit thread-worn, but served the purpose.
There is a breakfast included in the price of the room. It was unremarkable, sort of standard semi-continental with a variety of pastries, 2 cold cereals, waffles, 2 types of juice and hot beverages. I've seen reviews that mention fruit. I either missed it or there was none available either day I was there.
There is an outdoor pool that wasn't open when I was there, along with laundry facilities and an exercise room, neither of which I used.
There is plenty of parking and check out was smooth.
However, if there is a potential negative, it would be for anyone who has a severe allergy to dogs. I wasn't around the hotel much the time I was there, but I encountered at least 5 dogs, ranging in size from tiny to what appeared to be mini-horses. I'm sure there was a mention of animals being allowed on the page when I reserved the room, but I don't recall seeing it. Just be forewarned if you have problems with dogs.

Westminster, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The good: price is right, room was kept fairly clean, breakfast was decent with a spread of waffles, boiled eggs, fruit, other carbs, coffee and juice. Wifi was adequate and free. Location is convenient for the college and most of Newark, even nearby Wilmington. Staff seemed to be accommodating and doing their very best. Applause to the breakfast staff.

The bad: Maybe it's a well-known fact that Red Roofs are dog hotels because almost everyone has a dog with them. This was unknown to me, and I have pretty bad allergies. Thankfully, the maids must have done well getting most of the dander out of the room, as I got through my stay without an wheezing, but website certainly needs to make note that pets stay in these rooms regularly. The hallways smelled like a kitty litter. There was a dog barking most of the time, including one running back and forth above us. The walls aren't that thick. Few minor things needed work like the tub stoppers that wouldn't stay down and the door stopper that wouldn't stay up.

Also, a Sunday church service was being held with boom loud music starting at 10am below us. It was insanely loud. I understand 10am is not quiet hours and I was already up, but I would've been very upset if I was trying to sleep in. No idea why they would allow this to go on in a hotel.

For the price, this isn't a bad choice, especially if you have an animal or like lots of dogs in your hotel.

Room Tip: If you have pet allergies, verify if pets were previously allowed in the room you choose.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Roxanne G, Director of Sales at Red Roof Inn & Suites Newark - University, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. Red Roof Inns are pet friendly, and our hotel in particular is proud to be the host of the local dog shows. Their dogs are consistently groomed, well-behaved and a joy to have stay with us. We do apologize if that was not clear when you researched hotels in the area. Our housekeeping team has special cleaning supplies to make the rooms after our furry guests depart. Our banquet rooms are located near our guest rooms and our team tries to be very prudent on start times for events/music. With an 11am check out time, most of our guests are already moving around and down enjoying our breakfast. We hope you do come back and stay with us again. Please contact the GM if you wish to discuss. Thank you again.
Newark, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I have to say it is one of the friendliest staffs I've dealt with. My room is always clean and freshened when I'm there and they don't seem to let you want for anything you need for your stay. The continental breakfast is always nice and fresh. The whole place has always been very clean when I was there. To me , I've stayed at more expensive chains with less room and nowhere near the friendliness that this establishment seems to excellent in. Thank you Newark Red Roof Inn

Room Tip: If it were summer the pool view balcony is nice
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. We love the fact that we are guests temporary homes while theirs is being renovated, or they're just moving to the area etc. Our whole team is dedicated to make sure each and every guest has a pleasant experience! Thank you for staying with our family.
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This is absolutely the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Filthy, dirty sheets, mold, cigarette smoke. We checked in late and did not have a choice but to stay, since all area hotels were already booked. Did not stay for our second night. Surprised at the good reviews...

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Not sure what happened with the cleaning of your guest room, but I assure you this will be shared with our team and corrected. Please contact the GM directly to discuss in more detail. We truly apologize and hope that you will come stay with us again.
Roswell
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I have been coming here over the years and seen the quality "Yo-Yo" over almost 20 stays. It's good to see some consistancy in the up keep.
The outsdide is still pretty rough and the parking lot/driveways need a lot of attention. The smokey smell in the rooms are much less than in other visits.
One problem remains about the better room offerings on the first floor and lack of a proper luggage cart. Not so much for me, but I think of older guests having to use a laundry cart for their clothes and gear. Otherwise having to impose on an already over stretched staff.
The desk cleark(s) were always accomadating and understanding. I look forward to returning next season.

Room Tip: Go for something away from stairs, the elevator and the laundry area. If you're sensitive to tob...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Roxanne G, Director of Sales at Red Roof Inn & Suites Newark - University, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We do appreciate your continued business and it's great to hear from a guest like you about the updating the hotel is going through and the improvements. Many plans in place for the continued renovations! See you next time.
Orange, Ct
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We stayed at this hotel while visiting the University of Delaware. It was a very good value for a room. Raj, at the front desk was very accommodating when we had to change rooms due to noisy neighbors. The room was good size for 3-4 people. There is a Friendy's restaurant which is next door that serves a hot breakfast.
If you are going to the University, it is about a 2 1/2 mile drive. We didn't have a car so we had to use taxis and they are somewhat expensive. If you are coming from the Wilmington train station, see if you can negotiate a rate ($50). Don't take the taxi without checking with the driver about the rate first. There are usually a few cabs at the station so see who will give the best rate.

Room Tip: Definitely choose non-smoking - it really matters here
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review! We always love to hear from our UD parents. We're pleased you enjoyed your stay and we will see you on your next visit to UD.

Been to Red Roof Inn & Suites Newark - University? Share your experiences!