“Deeply disappointing...” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Home Grown Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 299 Restaurants in Newark
Cuisines: American, Vegetarian, Californian, Healthy
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hains Street
Transit: Dart bus system stops one block down on Main Street.
Description: "Newark's most coolly sleek, vibrantly accented & adventuresome fine-dining destination." - The News Journal Home Grown Cafe is the destination for internationally inspired cuisine with a local flair. Enjoy award winning gourmet salads, home made soups, fresh seafood & steaks & a variety of vegetarian & vegan options. Unique martinis, eclectic beers a great wine list & mouth-watering desserts deserve a special trip. Best of Delaware 2005 - Best Martinis upstate. Enjoy live music on Wednesday, Friday & Saturday evenings.
“Deeply disappointing...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

It was a little after 1 PM. I had a hankering for something fresh, healthy and tasty.

I surprised a friend with a spur the moment invitation to do lunch.

He chose a simple cheese sandwich and french fries. $10. The description of multiple cheeses drew him in. The actual entrée was dry, lacked taste, and needed a bowl of tomato soup or something to dip it in.

I labored over the menu.
Landed on the ahi tuna with lo mein and teriyaki sauce. $18. I cannot remember a time where I sent an entrée back. The tuna was not fresh tasting. Cooked too much. And had a pungent flavor.

The server was gracious. She did not charge us for the entrée. My friend who's meal was only $10 gave her a generous $15 tip.

Nobody can hit a homerun every time. Unfortunately this was a foul ball.

Bathroom rating: 2 of 4

Wilmington, Delaware
“Great for vegetarians, everybody else, just ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

A nice place with a cool vibe. Food is just average and the selection is limited unless you only like funky stuff. I am not a pasta and meat and potatoes person, so I was not looking for that type of food, but was hoping for more varied fresh menu. Maybe the choices get better in the summer when more local farm options are available.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Newark, Delaware
“Doesn't Live Up to the Hype”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

Decided to try the Home Grown brunch since we were in the area and had heard good things about it. My friend ordered the quiche. She said that it was just ok, more like scrambled eggs with onions molded into a round form. There was no crust, which she did not like. I had the cornmeal cake, which was very bland and had no taste of cornmeal whatsoever. It was improved immeasurably by the maple syrup, which I had to ask for. I adore polenta and cornmeal in general, so I was very disappointed by how tasteless this dish was. The home fries that came with our meals were very unevenly cooked, some pieces raw in the middle, some kind of done and some done correctly. My friend's portion was worse than mine, hers was about 50 percent half cooked.

Service was extremely slow, friendly, and not terribly interested, which was confusing as there were only about three tables of people there, including us. I ordered toast, which never came, the coffee was excellent, but in the hour and a half we were there (!) we only got two refills as our server rarely came by.

All-in-all it was a major disappointment.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Honey Brook, Pennsylvania, United States
“Great food and a great value!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

My boyfriend and I had an unexpected "free night" and saw that one of our favorite local bands (61 North) was playing at the Home Grown Cafe - so we jumped in the car for a "night out" road trip. The Home Grown Cafe was great, and we really enjoyed the food, drinks, and the entertainment! The staff and owners were also very fun and friendly!

I ordered the Falafel sandwich and was quite impressed! Being raised on Middle Eastern food and having my fair share of Falafel, I thought they did an excellent job. For $8, how can you go wrong!?

The overall value was great... not only did we each have dinner (he ordered a Philly style burger served with homemade chips), but we also had a pitcher of beer and martini. Our total bill came to right around $40. A date with good food, drinks, and awesome entertainment for $40 makes an exceptional night in my book!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hollywood, Florida
“Very healthy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

Home Grown never disappoints. I always get the California Cobb with falafel or the Poached Pear with tofu - both as wraps with house chips. It's SO delicious and healthy. Vegan and vegetarian friendly. They have great beers and at affordable prices. The restaurant can be crowded at times and there is a wait on weekends but I see why. The wait isn't that bad! The food comes out in a timely fashion. There is a parking lot right behind the restaurant and make sure to ask the hostess for a parking validation! We probably parked our car there for 2.5 hours and only ended up paying a dollar.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere