“Gourmet Grilled Cheese...everyone should try it at least once” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #35 of 288 restaurants in Newark
Cuisines: American
Delaware
1,072 helpful votes 1,072 helpful votes
“Gourmet Grilled Cheese...everyone should try it at least once”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

My husband and I went here for lunch yesterday. Upon arriving we approached the ordering counter. We ordered one Maryland Crab sandwich and one Cheesy Caprese sandwich. We paid and were given a number card to place on our table top. They said they would bring our food out when it was done. We walked through the dining room which consists of several small table tops, a long skinny family style table & some booths. However, since it was a nice day, we opted to sit out at one of the few small patio sets that overlooks main street.

Within about 10-15 minutes our sandwiches were out to us. They were pretty large grilled cheeses for the price paid!! Plus they were generous with the fillings of the sandwiches. They were served up with a small side of potato chips & a pickle spear. Overall we thought the food was good. The outside of the sandwiches were nice and toasty. My husband said his Maryland crab sandwich was good. He liked the imperial sauce that came on it. He could not tell if it was fresh crab, but suspected that it might be imitation crab meat. Not sure though. My cheesy caprese was good too. It was very chewy since it had stringy mozzarella cheese on it. The fresh basil and plum tomatoes were tasty. The balsamic glaze was good, but a tad overbearing since it was not spread thinly over the entire length of bread. The glaze was placed on in clumps. So, some bites had tons of glaze and others had none.

Overall, we had a good dining experience. The food was good....not spectacular or amazing, but decent. The sandwich size & fillings were generous. They could have better side selections. I would like to see some fries, deep fried pickle chips or something a little more substantial than chips offered. The chips were really good. We both enjoyed them & wondered whether they were house made chips, but I could have used a few more of them on my platter. Salads & soups are offered on the menu in addition to the sandwiches, but we didn't try them. Service was friendly. Speed of service was fair. Everything was cooked to order, so it does take a little longer than your typical fast food place. Price was a tad high, but the sandwich portions were generous enough to compensate. Next time I might take advantage of the Mix N Match Combo meal deal since the sandwiches are so large. This way I can try the soup OR salad and still have a half sandwich! Dining atmosphere was bright and appeared clean. Great place to go IF you have kids! Kids meals offered. It is a unique experience since it is a gourmet grilled cheese restaurant. I'm not in a hurry to go back, but I would recommend everyone try it at least once.

Note: This location open until 2am a few nights of the week to satisfy any late night cravings.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

83% Recommend
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“For grilled cheese lovers!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

If you're a fan of grilled cheese sandwiches you'll like Melt Down. Service was quick and friendly. I was hoping for more variety in sandwich selections but the quality was excellent. The smoked corn chowder was beyond belief good! Definitely worth a visit; probably multiple visits.

• Visited April 2013