“Nice place, expensive but worth the money.” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   640 South College Avenue, Newark, DE 19713   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 22 hotels in Newark
Germany
“Nice place, expensive but worth the money.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2009

This hotel is at the high end of the price range in Newark. The rooms are nice and quiet. Except the heating/air condition. The fan is pretty loud. I had to switch it off during the night. You can open the windows!! They have a full equipped kitchen (may be important if you stay over the weekend). If you stay over the weekend you get a complimatariy soap and a basket for washing. The hotel is only a few years old. So everything is in good condition. The indoor pool is clean. There is a little outside terrace with some deck chairs. In summer you can have breakfast outside. There is a little happy hour with some snacks and draft BUD lite. The fitness room has only cardio equippent. Almost no dumbells or exercise machines. Check rates they can vary.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled on business

218 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
camp hill, pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2008

We did an overnight stay and really enjoyed the hotel. They would do well though to add some sign-age at the front of the property, as we would have driven right past if not for the Embassy Suites sister property next door. We have 3 young kids, so it was great to have the Manager's Reception meal. The night we stayed they served pizza and a salad. Drinks are also provided. This really helped our budget, and allowed us to stay at the property and not go looking for a restaurant in an unknown location. The food was great and the servers / employees running it were totally great and helpful. The room was really comfortable, had a nicely appointed kitchen and appliances. Everything looked darn near new in our room. We were on the 6th floor and had to cart our bags around a bit, but nothing terrible. The baggage dolly was free to grab and the elevators made the trip pretty painless.
Our only gripe was that we wanted to use the pool and it was so cold it was not worth being in. Our kids especially look forward to being in the water for a few hours of our stay, and it gives us some nice bonding time. In the Hilton Hampden Inns, (we have stayed at serveral) the pool area is always warm, and so is the water. At least, it was not cold.Here, the pool area was unheated bordering on cold, and the water was cold enough that we didn't want to stay in it. No one else was in the pool as well. So you could make the arguement that the hotel chose to not heat the pool for lack of use, or that the people chose not to use the pool as it was too cold to enjoy. But no biggie as we found other stuff to do nearby. One last note. I failed to do a final pass over the room before we left, and forgot to get our Sony Handycam and our digital camera. Both were in our camera bag, which I had left on the TV stand. We didn't realize this error until we were home a couple of days. I frantically called the hotel and they returned our call promptly and confirmed that they had our stuff. They shipped it back to us and it was in hand within two days. I applaud them for their honesty and integrity. Thanks to whoever was involved in recovering this expensive item for us!!!! Overall a great place to stay. We also enjoyed a nice breakfast buffet the next morning. It was not quite as elaborate as some of the Hampen Inns we stayed at, but it was still very good, and a nice thing to have for our kids. They look forward to it and love it.

• Liked — employees were great, food was great too, clean room, solid comfortable beds
  • Disliked — pool area was not a hit for us, which we usually use pretty heavily on our stays - for kids.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Tom_Murray, Tom Murray, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Newark/Wilmington South, responded to this review, September 19, 2008
On behalf of our hotel staff, I am writing to let you know how pleased I was to hear that your stay at our hotel was most enjoyable for you and your family. It was unfortunate that you found the indoor pool to be cold. Our pool area has a complete HVAV and dehumidification system, and a pool heater that maintains the air and water temperature at a very comfortable level. Should you or any guest experience anything less than what you feel is comfortable, please bring it to our attention so that we may address it and correct it immediately. Again, let me thank you for your kind review. We're committed to total guest satisfaction, and we look forward to your next visit.

Tom Murray
Laval, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2008

Great hotel! We stayed in the two bedroom suite with kitchenette. The bedrooms were spotless with great bedding, clean bathrooms, and good kitchenette.
The hotel staff was great, as was the hot/cold breakfast.
We travel extensively, and have seen some really awful hotels, so it is refreshing to see a hotel that is so well taken care of.
Kudos to the staff!

• Liked — Cleanliness, and great breakfast
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chelmsford, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2008

My family of four stayed here briefly on our way from Boston to Williamsburg, VA. We had stopped to have dinner with friends in Philadelphia, but did not want to pay the high price for a room in the city, as we were not going to be in it long. We checked in at 11pm, and were on the road by 7am the next morning. I picked the hotel due to its proximity to our route to Williamsburg, the pull-out Queen sofabed and the included breakfast - for such a reasonable price. I was very happy with the room, it was larger than I thought it would be, and you could actually close off the sitting room area. With two teenage boys, it is great to have a room that does not seem cramped, and allows each of them their own bed. I did not expect such a large kitchen area either, and would recommend this hotel for families that may bring, or cook, a meal in their room. The room was neat, clean, and included everything we needed. Check-in was a breeze, and we slept like logs. The complimentary breakfast was more than I anticipated, as it included a variety of items, not just fruit and cereal. I will try to stay in a Homewood Suites hotel again, as I was very impressed at the quality for the price.

• Liked — Value for price
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Newark, DE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2008

In May of 2008 I concluded my stay at Homewood Suites and wished to share with you my experience since I last wrote about the property.
I am pleased to say my stay was especially favorable. Housekeeping was responsive to my every need. Management was always cordial and extremely helpful even with issues that did not directly envolve them or their realm of influence.
The manager's evening reception got progressively better (thanks to Kelley).
Unlimately I suggest you stay at this property if your travel takes you to the area. It is worth it.

• Liked — The staff, all the staff!
  • Disliked — No Fox News channel
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2008

I usually stay at the Embassy Suites next door, but for some reason, the Homewood was about $50 less for the same night, so I chose to stay there!
I have stayed here before about 18 months ago. I stayed this time in a lovely suite on the first floor. It was very nice. My daughter also stayed with me and her friends from college came to visit and all remarked on what a nice suite it was.
My couple of tiny complaints: Only 1 glass in the bathroom~ I had to request another from the front desk.
Only ice machine was on the fourth floor. I guess this is because each room has a refrigerator, but the ice maker takes a while to work.
Landscapers were outside my window at 7:45, but that's not a huge problem.
I just get a better, friendlier feel when I stay at the Embassy next door. I highly recommend the Homewood, but I just feel more comfortable at the Embassy, plus the breakfast in the morning is far superior, with the omelett maker and the friendly help!

• Liked — Great Suite
  • Disliked — Ice Machines and Lack of Glasses in Bathroom. Breakfast just okay
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Southeast USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2008

I've stayed at this Homewood Suites quite a few times for work travel. Very decent location, clean rooms, helpful staff. Daily breakfast with very good food, nightly manager's reception with drinks (beer/wine) on weeknights. Convenient to U-Del.

• Liked — Location and cleanliness
  • Disliked — (nothing)
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Newark/Wilmington South? Share your experiences!