“'Joe's Apartment' redux” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in New Castle
Warren, MA
“'Joe's Apartment' redux”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2008

Recently stayed at this place with some employees for an event in Wilmington. On checking in, I noticed several signs around the lobby stating that you only had 10 minutes to complain about the room, after that the management wouldn't give any refunds. My room was pretty bad, yellow sheets and pillow cases, cigarette burns everywhere (non-smoking room), ceiling and walls clumsily patched, not very clean, but all I wanted was a place to shower and get 6 hours sleep. Sleep wasn't easy because of the intermitant yelling and door slamming, but I managed a few hours.
Next morning the guys staying in another room came to the van shaking their heads and telling me to never book this place again. They said the room was filthy and the heat didn't work so the front desk clerk sent up a small space heater. Soon after settling in and turning off the light, one of them felt something moving around on the bed cover. When he turned the light on they said there were cockroaches on the beds, the ceiling and floor - everywhere - they were streaming out of the broken wall heater.
While they were given another (equally filthy) room, they weren't able to get much rest. This truly is the motel from hell. Apparently it takes only a franchise fee to get a Rodeway sign.

• Liked — Nothing.
  • Disliked — My stupidity for staying here.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Solo
Montgomery, AL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2008

My mom and I recently stayed at this property on our way to Philadelphia. From the moment we pulled into the parking lot, we were very creeped out. This motel is located in a very shady part of town (we didn't know this ahead of time). The guy attending the front desk did not have a record of my reservation, but I showed him my confirmation number and rate quote, so he did oblige me. He then handed me a remote control for the television for me to take to our room (I've never seen this done before). As I was at the front desk, a dirty looking guy came into the lobby with what appeared to be a prostitue in tow. At this point, I should have canceled my stay and looked for somewhere else, but it was already 11:00 p.m. Our room smelled horrible (very musty and dank). The bathroom was very unsanitary in appearance and neither of us showered there because of the bad appearance. The carpet looked nasty, the bathroom sink was not cleaned properly and the bed linens on my mom's bed had a tear in one of the sheets and a cigarette burn on one of the pillow cases. There were several street walking women in the parking lot and they were there again in the morning when we checked out. I placed a wake-up call with the front desk attendant, but our telephone never rang the following morning! We felt very unsafe there all night long and couldn't wait to check out the next morning. Needless to say, I will be contacting the Choice Hotels group to complain about this property.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Lack of cleanliness and unsafe area
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2007

It is not a 5 star hotel, nor does it claim to be. True, it is next to a relatively busy highway and is correspondingly noisy. My son plays premier soccer in PA and we travel all over the East Coast (New Hampshire to North Carolina so far with a FL trip planned for Feb '08). We have stayed in some very nice places and some VERY bad places. This Rodeway had everything we NEEDED - beds, shower, fridge, microwave and it was AFFORDABLE.

In fact, we are staying there again this coming weekend (June 16 & 17).

Stayed October 2006
Hampton, VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2007

My girlfriend and I were going up to Philadelphia to see her family for the holidays. When we got to the hotel, the person behind the desk was coughing so much, we both feared that she has a major cold or flu. After coughing in her hand, the person behind the desk grabbed our keys and remote with the same hand she coughed in and gave them to us. Needless to say, we used a can of Lysol to disinfect the items. when we got to the room, the floor was sticky, the refrigerator was dirty, the room was absolutely disgusting and the door was rusty and did not close properly. The next night we stayed, I walked out to my car to get something, and I was approached by a gentleman offering me something to "make me feel good". The next morning, I went to get our "continental breakfast" and pulled 2 stale doughnuts out and got coffee out of a machine that probably was never cleaned. when I went to grab the doughnuts, I saw two little antenna sticking out from under the pastry. It was a cockroach looking back at me, and needless to say, I lost my appetite. Because of this experience, I will never stay at a Rodeway Inn, and will never pay for a hotel that I have to clean myself before I walk into the room. It was the most disgusting hotel I have ever stayed in.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2005

Don't stay here EVER. It's in a horrible part of town. We were kept awake by the sounds of people arguing and fighting all night, not to mention the police who came by to break up a fight. The room smelled. The continental breakfast we were promised were a handfull of stale donutes. Not only will I never stay in this hotel again, I'll never, ever stay at another Rodeway Inn.

• Stayed June 2005

Been to Budget Inn? Share your experiences!