“1990 Just Called And Wants It's Hotel Back” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #4 of 12 hotels in New Castle
Lumberton, North Carolina
“1990 Just Called And Wants It's Hotel Back”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

When I began traveling for business in 1990, all hotels looked like this. Cheaply veneered MDF furniture, cheap wall sconce lamps, heavy TV, crunchy carpet, cheap bathroom door, pastel colored tub, exterior entry door, etc. The bathroom was clean with freakishly shiny ceramic tile floor. The toilet took forever to flush.The bed was weirdly tiny with a very lumpy mattress. Huge pool, but no water in it (??)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Paul R, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Skyways New Castle, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
I would like to thank you for your comments, as it helps us to see our property through the eyes of our guests. We have begun our refresh program, with recently changing out our carpeting and draperies, as well as changing out televisions to flat screen. As can be imagined, quite an expense. Our next step is to refresh the hardgood furniture items. I hope that should you visit again, that we will have that in place for you.

46 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Beaacon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Anne
New York, NY
July 17, 2013

Hello dear people. This is a long message, but I think it's worth the read. I think we should all try to make sure each person have a nice peaceful holiday when they visit a hotel. Well, be aware of this hotel. I used to always stay here, but not anymore. I stayed there a few weeks ago and as soon as I came into the room I looked on the pillows and underneathe thank God. I seen 1 live Bed Bug and 2 dead ones under the pillow. How gross is that?????? I called right away and reported it to the front desk clerk. She said she would give me another room, so I tool it. The next morning I asked a gentlemen about the report to make sure it was taken care of. No one should stay in that room without it being thouroughly cleaned. I stayed at the Quality Inn and Suites, New Castle DE. Room 235 on the 2nd level was the effective room. I read that you should not even stay in a room next door if you know there's Bed Bugs in the room next to you. I wouldn't stay in that room if they offered it to me free every year!!! Anyway, he told me he seen that it was reported. well, I got home and after a few days later I just wanted to make the manager knew about the report.
I also abhor thoses filthy, crawling things. So, I speak with the manager and she had no idea about any report. She asked me why am I just calling about it after 7 or what ever days, but I told her I complained about it as soon as I notice that it was Bed Bugs. They never reported it.
That's ashame! Someone is going to get that room not knowing those bedbugs are over the pillows and every where else. That is so wrong. They lied and kept it hidden. That really makes me even more angry too know that they don't care about the next guest that enters that room. Now isn't that ashame for them to not even report it? So, be aware folks. I would not want to see anyone bitten by those gross things, especially a little baby or young child. It would be really aweful! If you see it, PLEASE always report it. It helps all of us to make a better choice when booking a hotel. I know it's time consuming, but look what you've just learned by reading my note. Worth it? I think so. Have a nice comfortable summer folks!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Stella S, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Skyways New Castle, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
While there is no excuse for any bug to be anywhere other than outside, please rest a bit easier, in that after our exterminator's inspection, what you found was not a bed bug. Your comments were reported to our maintenance and housekeeping departments, who have a specific protocol to follow, which includes having our exterminator evaluate the room. I am sorry that the manager was not aware of the report, as it would have made you feel a bit more comfortable that we addressed the issue. We are under new management and I can assure you that each comment, good or not, is discussed by our management team and with the staff of the appropriate area. Again, please accept my apologies that we did not meet your expectations, especially as you had stayed with us before and had good experiences. Please feel free to contact me, Paul Rada, if you are returning to the area.
Evergreen, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I admit, I have been somewhat spoiled by the plethora of newer motel properties out in the western states, and every time I go back east I am generally underwhelmed at the quality of the "family budget friendly" choices available to me. This trip was no exception. We flew into New Castle County (Wilmington) Delaware airport on July 4, too late to rent a car and in need of a place to stay either within walking distance or a short cab ride away. I booked at this Quality Suites in part because it is only a couple of hundred yards from the airport terminal (a short walk), and partly because I am a member of the Choice Hotels rewards program. My first impression of the property was very good - the lobby and guest breakfast areas are newly renovated and very inviting. But the rooms (we booked two) were last updated circa 1980 or so, and with the exception of a flat screen TV they apparently have seen no improvements since. While adequate, and mostly clean, I would not recommend this property for more than a single night stay if you are enroute to or from the Wilmington, DE area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
While we are getting near to a renovation of the property, I am glad that you found your accommodations clean and the breakfast and registration areas good. We do have a separate, interior corridor, all suites building, that is very nicely and newly appointed. Perhaps on your next visit, we could show you one of our suites.
Alexandria Bay, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Nice stay. Holiday stay. Latrine stuffed-up the morning we left though. It was a near-perfect stay. :-) Other than that good service, and complimentary breakfast.

*Optimal location. I would have to see a better location to believe it.

*besides the Latrine acting up--(which threw me into a 'sensitive funk'-i got' all wimpy acting- I donno why--think it was 'cause I wanted mine wife to have the best time). I'd say they're on the road to perfection.

* Pricing was fair--even with it being the holidays. 20% cheaper would'a made it a bargain. 15% below that would'a made it a 'Steal'--I know, I know ( I apologize) I had to go there! :-D Esp., it being the holidays.

*They did make up for the Latrine, though, because they provided Triple A, and other such specialty-criteria group discounts.

All-in-all, my wife says it was decent and clean.

Room Tip: Do the Farmers' Market on that strip. You will not regret it!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Stella S, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Skyways New Castle, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

Had group rate, was put in old "motel like" 1 story building. Pulled back bedding to check for bed bugs...evidence of blood stains in mattress top stitching and side bindings. Was given another room to check in different building..same thing..stained mattresses. Checked newer building with interior suite rooms...OK. Stayed one night. Choice Hotels should demolish the old "motel like" buildings and build 2 story building w/suites attached to the newer registration building. This property tarnishes the Choice Hotels reputation. Will not stay here again and will think twice about booking another Choice Hotel property.

• Stayed April 2013
Godwin, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

My family and l arrived from N.C., and need palace to rest. The location was great. Conveniently located near shopping centers and historical sites. My mother was in the hospital, so we really needed a friend and the gentleman in the office, night manager Mr. Augustine, became that one. He did all that could be done to make our stay a pleasant one. Thank you so much and house keeping was very good as well. Noticed the hospitality award on the wall...:-) Thanks again.

Room Tip: We had two rms, one was a double, and the other was king. Both had ref., and microwave. The king rm...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Stella S, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Skyways New Castle, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us. I appreciate knowing that the staff went above and beyond to make your stay comfortable.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

In fairness, I've been saying at this location off and on for the last 15 years. This location sits about halfway from my home in VA Beach and Where my kids live in Long Island. It's also billed as pet friendly (10/nt extra). I've seen tough times for this property 13 years ago and I've seen an improvement. Unfortunately, things have taken a turn for the first worse. During my travels at Thanksgiving, I spent a night here.
Currently, they have some sort of renovation going on and the place is a shambles. The "pet friendly" room was not human friendly. The cliche of a lot of hotels is to put pet owners in a smoking room. Although dumb, most hotels do an OK job of eliminating odor. Unfortunately, when I unpacked my bag from the trip and pulled out my laundry, the memory of the Quality Inn remained. The one night stay was like sleeping in a bar during the 1970's.
The rooms are spacious and the doors to the Courtyard are very convenient for pet owners, but not fit for human non-smokers. I suspect Mr Rada will get his act together, as he did 13 years ago, but for now wail and see. Stay tuned

Room Tip: Don't bring your pet,.and take the non-smoking room, unless that's what you want.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Quality Inn & Suites Skyways New Castle? Share your experiences!