“OK Place to Stay Near New Castle (Wilmington) Airport” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in New Castle
Evergreen, Colorado
“OK Place to Stay Near New Castle (Wilmington) Airport”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I admit, I have been somewhat spoiled by the plethora of newer motel properties out in the western states, and every time I go back east I am generally underwhelmed at the quality of the "family budget friendly" choices available to me. This trip was no exception. We flew into New Castle County (Wilmington) Delaware airport on July 4, too late to rent a car and in need of a place to stay either within walking distance or a short cab ride away. I booked at this Quality Suites in part because it is only a couple of hundred yards from the airport terminal (a short walk), and partly because I am a member of the Choice Hotels rewards program. My first impression of the property was very good - the lobby and guest breakfast areas are newly renovated and very inviting. But the rooms (we booked two) were last updated circa 1980 or so, and with the exception of a flat screen TV they apparently have seen no improvements since. While adequate, and mostly clean, I would not recommend this property for more than a single night stay if you are enroute to or from the Wilmington, DE area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Stella S, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Skyways New Castle, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
While we are getting near to a renovation of the property, I am glad that you found your accommodations clean and the breakfast and registration areas good. We do have a separate, interior corridor, all suites building, that is very nicely and newly appointed. Perhaps on your next visit, we could show you one of our suites.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Alexandria Bay, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Nice stay. Holiday stay. Latrine stuffed-up the morning we left though. It was a near-perfect stay. :-) Other than that good service, and complimentary breakfast.

*Optimal location. I would have to see a better location to believe it.

*besides the Latrine acting up--(which threw me into a 'sensitive funk'-i got' all wimpy acting- I donno why--think it was 'cause I wanted mine wife to have the best time). I'd say they're on the road to perfection.

* Pricing was fair--even with it being the holidays. 20% cheaper would'a made it a bargain. 15% below that would'a made it a 'Steal'--I know, I know ( I apologize) I had to go there! :-D Esp., it being the holidays.

*They did make up for the Latrine, though, because they provided Triple A, and other such specialty-criteria group discounts.

All-in-all, my wife says it was decent and clean.

Room Tip: Do the Farmers' Market on that strip. You will not regret it!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Stella S, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Skyways New Castle, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

Had group rate, was put in old "motel like" 1 story building. Pulled back bedding to check for bed bugs...evidence of blood stains in mattress top stitching and side bindings. Was given another room to check in different building..same thing..stained mattresses. Checked newer building with interior suite rooms...OK. Stayed one night. Choice Hotels should demolish the old "motel like" buildings and build 2 story building w/suites attached to the newer registration building. This property tarnishes the Choice Hotels reputation. Will not stay here again and will think twice about booking another Choice Hotel property.

• Stayed April 2013
Godwin, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

My family and l arrived from N.C., and need palace to rest. The location was great. Conveniently located near shopping centers and historical sites. My mother was in the hospital, so we really needed a friend and the gentleman in the office, night manager Mr. Augustine, became that one. He did all that could be done to make our stay a pleasant one. Thank you so much and house keeping was very good as well. Noticed the hospitality award on the wall...:-) Thanks again.

Room Tip: We had two rms, one was a double, and the other was king. Both had ref., and microwave. The king rm...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Stella S, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Skyways New Castle, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us. I appreciate knowing that the staff went above and beyond to make your stay comfortable.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

In fairness, I've been saying at this location off and on for the last 15 years. This location sits about halfway from my home in VA Beach and Where my kids live in Long Island. It's also billed as pet friendly (10/nt extra). I've seen tough times for this property 13 years ago and I've seen an improvement. Unfortunately, things have taken a turn for the first worse. During my travels at Thanksgiving, I spent a night here.
Currently, they have some sort of renovation going on and the place is a shambles. The "pet friendly" room was not human friendly. The cliche of a lot of hotels is to put pet owners in a smoking room. Although dumb, most hotels do an OK job of eliminating odor. Unfortunately, when I unpacked my bag from the trip and pulled out my laundry, the memory of the Quality Inn remained. The one night stay was like sleeping in a bar during the 1970's.
The rooms are spacious and the doors to the Courtyard are very convenient for pet owners, but not fit for human non-smokers. I suspect Mr Rada will get his act together, as he did 13 years ago, but for now wail and see. Stay tuned

Room Tip: Don't bring your pet,.and take the non-smoking room, unless that's what you want.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Kalamazoo, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I am in this area for business quite often. I decided to stay at this hotel even though my supervisor wanted me to stay at a different one on the other side of town. Not only was it about the same price but the staff at this location (Stella and Rosie) were much nicer then what i was used to from the other hotel. I will now use this hotel every time i'm in New Castle. Only thing I could suggest is that I believe all hotels should have an available hot tub. I look forward to them after working my 16 hour days.

Room Tip: I stayed in a suite that was very comfortable.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Staff was very friendly, tea/coffee in lobby. We stayed in a room with 2 excellent queen beds in building 5(newer building) Room was suite with refrig/microwave/sink. Sitting area had adequate desk and table space to work on computer, eat, or play cards! Beds were clean and most comfortable with what seemed like new linens and pillows.
We arrived at the end of breakfast and the staff was not attentive to being sure we had fresh eggs/sausage/waffle batter. But I think had we gotten there earlier, it would have been a good breakfast.
We would recommend this hotel. Very quiet. The airport is a small regional one so no noise during our stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Quality Inn & Suites Skyways New Castle? Share your experiences!